my cyst

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi everyone i need some answers from other women that are going threw the same thing that im going threw or women that have already been threw this .  found out 3yrs agos and ive been in and out of he hospital becasue of the pain that i was going threw . i actually found a good doctor that just told me today that i will be having it removed in early dec. im very nervous bc i dont know what to expect they told me that i will prob be getting my left overy and fillpoen tube taking out with the cyst. it is a 7cm cyst and i dont know what kind of questions to ask bc im only 21 i have no idea where to begin with questions so i hope someone could help me out on here so i can find out what kind of questions to ask .please help thanks!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mallory

So sorry that you are going through this. Please try to be calm - it's a really awful thing to go through and there is not much information online for those of us getting just one ovary removed along with the cyst. 

You will either have a laparoscopic surgery (meaning they make some small inciscions and operate without making a full cut) or a laparotomy surgery where they need to have open surgery in order to get the cyst out safely and whole.

The latter being a more difficult surgery to recover from, and often they will only make the decision on the operating table. Be really happy that this thing is getting taken out of you! I am 11 days post operation now (I had open surgery) and they removed my left ovary along with my 10cm cyst. 

Afterwards you may feel quite emotional - your hormones are going to be "stunned" as a part of the system has been removed. Don't fret too much - just try to heal yourself physically and know that your hormones are liars in the meantime, making you feel sad while you recover. 

In a few weeks or months of even days, your remaining ovary will start to take over the functions of both ovaries unless there is a problem with it too - they will be able to see this when they go in and remove the bad one. 

Good luck and please give us an update. Have a look at my post I wrote the other day about my experiences - maybe this will help you. You're going to be OK and will feel like a whole new woman when that jerk-cyst is gone! 

• Posted

I have had to be home from work (desk job) for two weeks. There's no way to go back sooner in my opinion. However, you will not feel really healed for at least 6-8 weeks.

• Posted

I have a desk job also .. will i have to be on hormone pills? Idk if your married or lived with anyone while u went threw the surgery but will i need someone with me at all times?

• Posted

Hi again,

I definitely needed help the first day or two home from the hospital. I spent two nights in hospital and needed help up and down the bed for a day or two. You will be able to walk slowly before you leave the hospital, it's getting up and down that will be difficult. You won't feel like preparing yourself food so I would advise filling your fridge with easy to eat things that will satisfy your hunger (but you won't feel very hungry). You will need to rest a lot! 

I have not been put on any hormone pills and you shouldn't be either unless there's a problem with your remaining ovary - the remaining ovary will grow slightly and it will take over the job of the other one, your hormones will eventually calm down and be normal. Your fertility, I was told, is not halved now - but it is lessened by maybe 20%. You should still be able to have children if your remaining ovary is healthy. 

• Posted

Anytime. I know this is really stressful but rather get that thing out of you so you can lead a normal, painfree life smile Please keep me updated!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.