my dad has been diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis for 30 years but only now really started to ta

Posted , 4 users are following.

my dad has been diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis for 30 years but only now really started to talk to us about it. of course we knew about the fact that he had a condition..but we didn't know what it was and he was really close about it. recently he started sharing so i would like to know as much as i can from other people that had lived with it. mainly is there something like food or exercise that can help with it? maybe Pilates or swimming? maybe even agopuncture? anything and every advice u guys can give will be amazing and highly appreciated.

thank u a lot in advance,

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

It's really nice of you to look into this for your dad. Most of people (unfortunately sometimes family as well) don't. Any kind of sports are good, with moderation. I personally swim and do yoga and walk a lot. There is a useful website: www.nass.co.uk where you can gather some information about the condition. I hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi maria54021,

You seem like a very caring daughter. I was only very recently diagnosed but have had AS symptoms for several years. I'm 36 now but started suspecting something was wrong in my early-mid 20's. One thing I can definitely tell you for certain that has helped with the pain is acupuncture.Maybe it will bring your father some relief? It can't hurt.  Also, peppermint essential oil. I swear by that stuff for pain! I've only just begun exploring anti-inflammatory diets and no starch diets but can't tell you the long-term results. I'm hoping for the best! My rheumatologist wanted me to start on Anti-TNF therapy ASAP but I have declined that option for a number of reasons. Stretching, swimming, pilates are recommended. Also, a helpful member here suggested I check out this UK based site for AS safe exercises: https://nass.co.uk/exercise/exercising-at-home/

I wish I could be of more help. Best of luck to your father and you!

• Posted

I'm in the early stages, recently diagnosed and for me yoga has been very helpful. I also changed my diet to help lower inflammation. I'm currently not on medication so I take supplements particularly pro biotics and turmeric. Magnesium and vitamin D seem to help with pain.

Anything is worth a shot to help his range of mobility and quality of life. ?

• Posted

thank u so muchsmile

and you are right, the main reason i thought to ask about it was because as u said... it is just worth a shot. 

• Posted

Do you know what stage his AS is at? That may help you get better answers here. It's so different for everyone and very individual. Feel free to pm me if you need more info ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.