My dad has been diagnosed with spinal bone dislocation for the past 6 years.He is 53.

Posted , 4 users are following.

After lot of medication,doctor advised him to undergo surgery.His surgery is by next week.I am little bit scared about post operation and recovery.please provide suggestions regarding this.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

It totally depends on what procedure they are doing.  I had a TLIF fusion (go in from the back, install rails, spacers and screws) from L3 through S1.  Twelve days in the hospital, 3-4 months of rehab 2X/week, 6 months in a brace, heavy restrictions).  Picture 1.

A few years later, I had a LLIF fusion (go in through the side, implant the expandable spacer device) at L2/L3.  Overnight hospital stay, no rehab, no brace, no real restrictions.  Picture 2.

I have also had two same-day laminectomies that required nothing at at.  It all depends on the procedure and what the doc recommends.

• Posted

I am guessing if he has had this for 6 years he isn't having any neurological deficits like bowel or bladder problems or weakness in his legs or they would not have put off surgery this long.  In that case, his surgery must just be for pain and those surgeries are really hit or miss like all back surgeries.  You aren't guaranteed that they will alleviate the pain.  In fact after 6 years he could have developed other reasons for the pain, as in the way that he walks is off so that now his hips are misaligned too.  He may not be very active and need rehabilitation of all his back and leg muscles.  That inactivity in itself can be a source of pain and disability for him, never mind the bone dislocation.  As you can see, just getting the surgery can be step 1 in a series of steps for your Dad and that is how your Dad should look at it.  Too many patients expect the surgeon to cure them of this 6 years of pain with this several hours of surgery and they will magically wake up pain free.  It just doesn't work that way.  Expect a reasonable amount of post op pain, probably a few weeks at least before he really feels like himself, but they will start rehab that first week. He should expect to be doing physical therapy for at least 6 months, a lot of it on his own at home- the PT will be giving him homework and expect him to do it.  Try to find a PT with a pool, starting out without gravity is so much easier on the body and then build up to working out on land.  The harder your Dad works, the more he puts into his rehabilitation, the better he will feel and the more function he will have.  He's young enough he can expect to do really well and get back to full function.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.