My dad really needs help!! Advice please

Posted , 8 users are following.

two years ago my dad was in hospital and had part of his bowel removed while he was in surgery he became very unwell and his heart stopped for 8 minuets thankfully he was lucky but feeling awful and looking terrible. in recovery my dad was constantly saying he did not feel right and something was wrong they just kept giving him morphine until we told them to stop. eventually we got someone to listen and my dads bowel was leaking out and this lead to sepsis he was rushed back into surgery. he now has two bags and a hernia the size of a heavily pregnant lady and the hospital keep putting his surgery back. im desperate to help him see he needs a second opinion otherwise i fear he will die next time around. our local hospital has been put into special measures so i have no idea what to do?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Do you live in the UK? If you do, I would recommend going private. Request all your fathers medical notes and find a colorectal surgeon, it is better to find one who has been a consultant for over 10 years so they have experience and had a much tougher screening process than the ones that get through now. Look up all the ones who practice in your local area. Experienced and written about surgeons are better, avoid ones that write about themselves. If it is possible for the hospital to give the notes to the surgeon prior to you seeing him that would help a lot. Good luck.

• Posted

In addition to Moon's reply you should also consult a medical malpractice attorney.

• Posted

Hi. I've got a similar hernia caused by surgery. not sure if it'll help you to know but these hernias are called 'Incisional hernias' they are caused by the stomach wall becoming so weak that the stomach muscles can't hold back the bowel so they poke through the muscles and stomach walls. They can be repaired by inserting mesh but they fail easily! I've had mine repaired 3 times now! After the 3rd attempt failed, I now still have the big hernia on my side. The NHS are not keen on doing the repairs because they class them as 'Cosmetic'. I hope your father can get his repaired and that it holds.

• Posted

Can they not try a different type of repair since mesh doesn't work? Have they tried simply stitching the hernia in? I wouldn't describe a hernia repair as cosmetic. It's strange for the NHS to class it as that. Hernias need prompt fixing. Maybe try a different doctor and hospital. You may find you can see someone with a different opinion.

• Posted

I could try. they are classing my hernia as cosmetic because its not causing me any pain. the problem is, my stomach wall gets weaker and weaker, every time they open me up.

• Posted

Hernias can get painful as they get bigger. The hospital shouldn't be telling you to wait until it gets worse.

• Posted

My hernia is already large. its massive. it's the size of a large football on my side. I think it's not going to get any bigger.

• Posted

Go back to your doctor and insist on something being done.

• Posted

yes i think this is my dads problem they are leaving him because everytime he has an operation its obviously very risky and they have not done a very good job in the past. all i can try and do is find another opinion or another option as the mesh doesnt sound any good.

• Posted

Hi Carly

may I ask how old your dad is? It's sad but sometimes true that elderly patients are not always seen as a priority anymore, it seems to depend very much on your local health authority and how much they are willing to spend on older patients. It sounds horrible -and it is!- but I think we all know this happens. It is, I think, very much a 'postcode lottery' in the UK. If you can afford to go private that may be your father's best hope for a speedy recovery. But if that isn't an option, I would certainly speak to his/your GP if you can, and see what he/she can do to help. I wish you both all the very best. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.