My daughter

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi My daughter is 16 years old has been GF for a year, she is confirmed Coeliac. She has had some improvement but still has chest pains,sickness, bloated but most of all she sleeps all the time! She is trying to complete her GCSE's but this a nightmare because she is so tired! most evenings she is a sleep by 6pm, does anyone else get really tired? All test for her vitiamins are perfect?? X 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I feel tired but I have diabetes and thyroid problems, also other health problems. Has your daughter had her haemoglobin and ferritin levels checked? She may need iron, also other minerals. 

I would recommend keeping a food diary to see if gluten is sneaking in under the radar somewhere. It's important to note how she feels after eating as well as what she's eating, that way it's easier to find what is making her ill. 

Does her doctor know about the chest pains? It might be worth discussing all these symptoms with her GP, they will probably do a few blood tests and overall checks.

• Posted

Hi Fi

Yep all bloods done, but at the moment Im keeping a food diary and going to ask for a full  body scan or something because she is just so not her self, she feel asleep in her English lesson this week and looked terrible when we got in form school x x x

• Posted

Another thing to consider, is dairy intolerance. I am dairy intolerant and so are my daughters. One of them diagnosed when she was 3 years old and looked like a skeleton and had big black hollows under her eyes until we took all dairy out of her diet.  She used to bring up acid and regularly vomit but once dairy was eliminated, it was an over night improvement.  I'm not saying this will be the case for everyone, but it's certainly worth a try.  
  • Posted

I think the food diary is a great idea. There's a chance something in her diet is causing this and hopefully the diary will point out any patterns. I've just started an elimiation diet for similar reasons as even though I'm very strict GF, I'm still getting some terrible gastro problems with fatigue. 

Although vitmains have come back ok, have you tried supplements for minerals? From my reading around, I've learned most coeliacs (and a lot of people in general) are magnesium deficient, which can cause sleep and energy problems. It might be worth getting a good quality supplement to see if this helps. I certainly noticed a difference when I started taking them. 

I hope you get to the bottom of things soon. 

• Posted

I agree with the magnesium, I had really bad muscle spasms due to a deficiency (frightening at the time), but at 16 she will still be developing and I would ask a doctor to advise on this first, as too much magnesium can be as bad as too little.
  • Posted

She should drink plenty of water. As coeliac patients have poor absorption of nutrients it can lead to inefficient organs such as the kidneys, pancreas etc due to malabsorption. Also another great factor to remember is that going gluten free will not heal the digestive system alone. The book "Breaking the vicious cycle" is an example. Other food products such as potatoes, corn and corn starch will stunt the healing due to its complex carbohydrate foundation. For instance I become terribly ill after eating anything containing cornflour. She should follow a strict SCD diet, drink 2-3 litres of water a day, also agreeing with the above dairy products are also bad. Try purchasing lacto-free milk and using culture to make yoghurt. It's also not just down to diet, does she exercise and so on or is she eating gluten containing products whilst she is out of your sight?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.