my daughter is awaiting heller myotomy

Posted , 5 users are following.

Anxiety connected to achalasia?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The prospect of an operation can create a lot of anxiety, but those who have had it done usually find that it helps their symptoms.

To the extent that achalasia is associated with the nerves not driving the muscles that operate the swallowing mechanism, anxiety and tension can make the condition worse.   This is easier said than done, but trying to relax and keeping as stress-free as possible will tend to help the condition.

• Posted

Thank you Alan, it seems that it becomes a vicious circle with this dreadful disease, my daughter has tried everything from reflexology, acupuncture, hypnotherapy and even a nutritionalist in order to help. She has now had enough and we are now helping her to go for the heller myotomy out of her nhs area. We all hope this will alleviate her pain and suffering, as seeing her wasting away not eating and trying to get through each day and not being able to get any relief is unbearable as other sufferers describe.
  • Posted

I will certainly back Alan on the anxiety front. The more tense things are the more likely difficulties arise. Hubby also awaiting Hellers. Pre admission visit in five days and counting. X
    • Posted

Hi Carol, thank you for your reply, sharing comments about this disease is helpful in some sort of way, it is so awful for all the family when it affects one of us. I wish your husband well and hope his operation is a success and life gets better for him

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.