My daughter is dying of CHF

Posted , 3 users are following.

13 years ago, my daughter was diagnosed with Congestive heart Failure (CHF) and her heart was working at 10%, she was only 22. She would not be put on a transplant list because she did drugs and they wouldn't wast a new heart on her. Part of me understood but the mom part was furious; she deserved a chance to start over fresh. But they told her to quit drugs and take her medication. Meanwhile I searched the internet for ways to manage her CHF.

8 years later, my daughter continuing her lifestyle, had problems with her heart and the Dr put in an implantable cardioventer defibulator (ICD), which would help her heart beat normally and provide shock if needed. They offer that when your in your 3rd stage.I thought that right there would scare her into quitting dope, smoking and to eat healthy. No, she left the hospital and didn't change a thing.

That was 5 years ago, she had an episode 2 months ago, I thought it was the end, it so scary. She had all the symptoms of the final stages: coughing weeding, spitting up bloody phlem, she was huge with bloat, her heart wasnt pumping the blood fast enough so it was building up fluid around her heart, feet, belly and ankles.She was in pain, could breath, anxiety; all signs were there, I just knew this was It, I couldn't begin to tell you what I was going through.

She wouldn't go to the hospital because she said she wanted to die at home. I did get her to her Dr and her heart was 7% working. For those of you that don't know what that means, it's not her heartbeat but the percentage of blood thats pumped from her heart to her body every heartbeat. 55-70% is normal, anything less means not enough oxygen rich blood going through the body.

Her Dr says she wants to put my daughter on Enestro, it has been doing great things for a year now and even though each person is different and there's no guarentees,this pill should keep her "heart beating and out of the hospital"!! Wow, sounds too good to be true. With that pill and her other ones, taken faithly, stop smoking, no drugs, exercise, watch her sodium and liquid intake, she will add a couple years to her life. Her heart is already pumping 15-20% now. if only she saw the need to change her lifestyle...but no. Don't think I haven't begged and pleaded and tried to reason with her, cuz I have, Ive shed many tears. I cant for the life of me understand why her life doesnt mean more to her, I know she doesnt want to die. If not for herself, for her 12 year old.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Such a sad story and I can understand your grief as we lost our daughter at 22 from cancer.. How does she manage to get the money for drugs ?

• Posted

Oh she has friends and she gets an income

• Posted

sorry to hear about your daughter, loosing a child is a horrific experience.

• Posted

Particularly after twice being sent away from the hospital after being told that she was just constipated and had piles. Meanwhile her colon tumour had doubled in size and spread to her liver before she went to another hospital.

• Posted

Wow, did you file a lawsuit or malpractice suit against the hospital? I know of several hospitals here in Calif. that are guilty of wrong doing like that; I don't understand how stuff like that happens. I'm so sorry you went thru all that

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.