My daughter’s ankle sprain

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi there,

my 15-yr old daughter sprained was diagnosed with a grade 2 sprain 8 days ago. no fracture. she has a boot and crutches and is very hesitant to put any weight on the foot even with the boot on. shouldn't it be healed by now? pls help

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Sadly sprains can actually be more painful than a break, how long did the doctor say before she could walk on it.

With the boot on I would say she should be able to weight bear on it after 8 days but I suggest you use ice for the pain and elevate it above heart to help swelling if it is swollen.

Why is she scared do you think

• Posted

thank you for replying! the dr said she can walk as tolerated and she has taken a few steps a day. just afraid her foot will get so weak. i think shes afraid of the pain

• Posted

I'm sure she is scared but as you say it would be bad if the muscles start to atrophy which would make it a long slow process to build them back up again.

Has she been given exercises to help keep the blood flowing

• Posted

Uuuugg yuk, feel her pain, when the gout flares on ankle,its excruciating,

Maybe she needs a second opinion,doctor check out ? ,if there isn't a muscle/ tendons tare,or hairline fracture, maybe , different people ,heal at different rates , shes young ,full of energy, I dont think she'll be hobbling along on crutches to long, miss out on them school dances , but I'm going send her a sammy bammy,tooma, looma,

Internet cyberkenetic,power flux,antigravitational healing heat wave, to help heal faster, ---- hear it comes, soupy doopy,kalama bama, shaka bimbobby boomya !!!!!! Should feel the energy surge and second ,bless your heart,ttfn

• Posted

What did your daughter sprain? I sprained my right ankle. I just stepped down one carpeted step and my ankle twisted and I fell. After a week of ankle pain I went to the doctor and found out my little toe was broken. Well good grief a little toe; not my ankle! I ended up in a cast from my knee to my toes for 4 weeks then a high boot for another 4 weeks. No driving! I understand that she doesn't want to step on it. The boot feels weird to walk on because it is higher than the other foot so you end up swinging the boot out and around to get it in front of you. You kind of rock left and right as you walk. Not at all cute for a 15 year old. I had a walker after the boot. Also not cute. How long did the doctor say it would take to heal? I sure didn't think it would take as long as it did. Now, however, after 4 years, I hardly remember the time passing. Healing takes much longer then we think it will but you can do some fun things with your daughter to pass the time. Good luck.

• Posted

Ah, poor thing. Grade 2 sprains are pretty painful. How was it diagnosed? MRI? Did they xray her whole foot including toes? I've three generals but 5 sugeries. Two arthoscopies, one lateral ligament repair, one synovectomy, recently the capsular repair and archillies tendon release plus inside ligament scar tissue scraping. I am in agony 24/7. I have zero ability to use it, weight bear on it etc. It's swollen and discoloured. I'm worried as to if it'll ever be able to be used. My surgeon says maybe not so I'm considering amputation. The damage is so bad... I'm 36. 37 on the 25th of April. I try to put it down in my boot and I want to rip it off. 😟

Anyway, as you can tell, I know pain very well. Sprains can be worse than breaks. Give her time. She'll be nervous and in pain for a while, maybe a month or so but she'll start putting it down. It's instinct. Just remember to ice it, elevate it and gently move it but not so she's in agony... that will do more harm than good. Is it bandaged? If not, it needs to be for support which will help her pain. Remember to always bandage toes to calf for the swelling, firmlt but not tight. Just encourage her for every little thing... even tolerating ice in a tea towel. If still in agony in a month, get a second opinion. Hope this helps. Melissa

• Posted

OMG Melissa, I hope that your situation improves! Thinking about amputation just made my eyes tear up. I'll send good thoughts to you and to Marilyn. I hope your Birthday is happy and pain free. Stay strong.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.