My Dermatologist just gave up on my GA. Are there a ny cures that really work?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have had disseminated GA over 80% of my body for 3 years now. I have been on probably all medicines and I have had extensive allergy testing. Only thing that works is Prednisone. I have tried all the diets and I have no food allergies. Any one else have a cure?  

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I've learned that GA occurs when our bodies are trying to detox something from our largest organ (our skin). as you know, prednisone just suppresses the symptoms but doesn't get to the root cause of them. find a functional medicine doctor (they can be hard to locate but most will see patients long-distance via computer) to help you figure out what is off, and in the meanwhile try to detox your liver and get your bowels moving so your other detox pathways can do their job as efficiently as possible.  good luck!!

• Posted

Thanks, I did that and it cost me thousands of dollars. I have no food allergies and she suggested an immunologist. I am really disappointed.
  • Posted

Chloroquine worked for my disseminated GA when nothing else would.
    • Posted

Thanks, I tried this one also. I hope people continue to suggest their solutions, maybe there is one I didn't try.

• Posted

Lucy how have you tried Prednisone?  I am now 4 months free but it will come back I know.  I had two allergic reactions back to back with the treatment of benedryl and prednisone and to my surprise it took away the GA .  So far I am still clear but I think it will return, I don’t think this is a cure but it knocked it hard.  If it worked for 6 months I would entertain thoughts of twice a year back to back treatments of the two to keep clear.
    • Posted

Sorry, I replied to another comment about Chloroquine by mistake.

I too have great results with Prednisone. But I have been on and off this drug for 3 years. When I get off the drug the GA comes right back. And it can't be a long term solution since there are many side effects. Thanks for sharing your success, I hope others do as well.

• Posted

Once again, I was on Chloroquine for 3 months, the suggested term, and thought I was seeing some improvement. My doctor approved a 4th month and at the moment I'm GA free. I can't prove it wasn't the natural course of things but it's worth giving it a try. 

• Posted

We all want a cure .However nobody seems to know one. Therefore, let's look to common experiences or genetic predisposition. Has anyone living in close contact with anyone that has it also?

• Posted

I've had GA for 20 years.  I first noticed it after I traumatized my skin using a defective skin product that burned my skin that was then followed up with sun exposure in July.  I do believe that this is a disease caused by damage to the skin.  Most of the US doctors that are in the know about GA prescribe Clobetasol topical cream.  It is the only treatment that works for me.  Prednisone works better, but its effects do not last and there are more side effects.  Clobetasol is safer if used correctly - only 2 weeks at a time on and then 2 weeks at a time off.  I will say that for me, Clobetasol has keep the GA in check.  However with 80% of your body affected, I am  not sure if this will work for you.  Maybe you can use it on the most noticeable parts of your body, The other thing that I am doing is taking a Boswellia Serrata supplement daily.  You can find supplements on Amazon. That herb is used to block enzymes in the body that cause inflammation. And I think it is working but it takes a few months to have a noticeable effect.  I think it is a disgrace that research is not being done to find treatments for GA. I was told that finding a solution for GA is not a profitable venture because too few people have this condition to make it worthwhile.     

• Posted

Thank you. Mine began as an injury as well. I scraped my arm on the shower glass door. I tried Clobetasol with no result. I will try Boswellia Serrate,
    • Posted

I discussed taking niacinamide  with my dermatologist and he said the cure was worse than the disease .  He wouldn’t do it. Also the paper on this treatment was written 1983

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.