my diagnosis eventually

Posted , 3 users are following.

Just got my diagnosis for MD at52.. had this since 2000... as vertigo has been severe since January this year .. would not wish this on anyone .. and no one seems to understand ..this condition is not known by many.. this forum is invaluable to all on here .. wish there was a group in my area to meet others with this condition. MDsociety is also very helpful folks .. awaiting steroid injection next week.. fingers crossed x

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi I have been with MD over 5 years now. Yes at the begging stage before i was diagnosed was a difficult time bcos ENT doctors could not diagnosed the MD and was treated for mostly outer ear problems.

Just about 3 years back i was confirmed diognosed with MD. Several tests, hearing , balancing and MRI was done. Since i had balancing problem i have had some excecises which is very helpful.

I have been prescribed with medication and has been going ok except when stressed and sleepless..i get the virtego. There is continuous sound in my right ear and my doctor has suggested to manage to live ...leaving the sound behind. I manage it well now.

Dr also advised to reduce salt intake and prescribed medication to reduce water retention.

At the early stage i have been taking doses of steroid but over last 2 years i have not been prescribed. Steroid has other side effects and been advised to avoid as much as possible.

I can do almost any work.

I am able to get advance alert of virtego symptions

- Pressure build up in my ear

- Loss of hearing

- slight loss in balancing.

I do get virtego from time to time. During sevier virtego attack u will vomit. If this happens best thing to do is lights off n sleep. Few hrs of sleep u r jist normal.

• Posted

Dear Jo,

I'm a great believer in steroid injections....They helped me tremendously.  I wish you the very best of luck.  Just know that it's typically not a one-shot deal.  You might need more than one injection.  It might take months to calm down that inner ear, but in my exeperience, it was worth the wait!

Again, all the best...

J-

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.