My Diary - suggestions/comments

Posted , 4 users are following.

Im hoping someone can shed light on this diary ive started. Would it mean prostate or oab...

Tuesday last drink 7.30pm

went to bed at 10.

3.30am urinated 400ml no hesitation starting, slows down towards end then starts again.

7.00am. woke up urinated 200ml. Then had morning cup of tea.

7.34am feeling i wanted to go but mild. held it... had to go to toilet (defecate) at 8am and forgot to not wee so not sure how much.

9.00am went as i was leaving for work. 40ml

had 2nd tea.

9.30 slight feeling i wan to go but held it untill feeling got stronger.

12.38 decided to go could have held it. 200ml

12.44.slight feelimg i could go once more but not a strong feeling. So i will try and hold it for 3 or 4 hours.

i have had dre and prostate slightly bigger than normal.

So, questions...

does this sound like prostate issue? is it severe on ipss scale?

could it be OAB?

What tests would people suggest now?

in the interim should i try tablets (alpha blockers and myrbiqt) as i don't want finasteride as i already have ed issues.

To compound matters I found I have hernia (inguinal) could this press on bladder and make matters worse as i think ive got worse after noticing it - but that may be coincidental.

is it best to hold wee or to go when you first feel like it, even if its only minor feeling?

Id really appreciate help and advice as its really getting me down, thinking of possible operation and consequences!

Many, many thanks in advance.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Edited

So yesterday into today

I had my last drink yesterday afternoon at 3.30pm, except for 3 sips of half a cup of cocoa and milk at 10pm bedtime.

So...

Urinated at 4.30pm couldn't measure it.

6.15pm about 200ml

10pm about 200ml

2.30am in night 600ml

5.30am this morning 390ml.

Not sure where it's all coming from!

No problems starting really. Prostate or over active bladder - i'd really appreciate any comments about what to do and where to next especially if others had similar urine problems and found out what they were ie prostate or bladder.

Any clues? Thanks

• Edited

That is quite a detailed narrative. It sounds like benign prostatic hyperplasia.

By all means see a general practitioner with your notes.

Before you do so, I suggest something that may help reach a diagnosis.

Stop drinking ANYTHING some 3 hrs before bedtime.

NOT EVEN A SIP of cocoa is allowed in that time.

List when you wake up at night to pee and how much you pee. If at all.

After you have a list for night time awakenings to pee when having nothing to drink in the 3 hrs

before bed, then see the general practitioner.

• Posted

Barney is right on, as intake of ANY fluids, especially cocoa, coffees, teas, will eventually be expelled during sleep. I ahve know men, who, like myself stop drinking ALL fluids after 12:00 pm. AND still have issues getting up nightime. BPH and OAB is name of the game. AND your prostate continues to grow over time. Not very optimistic.

• Edited

The more info you can give a doctor (eg drinking stopped 3 hrs before bed versus drinking close to going to bed) about your night time peeing, the better AND the quicker the doctor can arrive at a diagnosis and hence the sooner treatment will be suggested.

Good luck.

• Posted

also if it needs treatment which pills would be best other than finasteride.

as i say i think symptoms have worsened since hernia, wish it was possible for someone to say if that could happen that hernia can make it worse.

• Posted

How much and when you pee depends greatly on your diet, whether or not it has low or high sodium. For example, if you have a salty breakfast or lunch then expect to have a lot of urine production in the middle of the night. If you have a very low salt breakfast then most of the urine will be produced in the morning or afternoon. Hank

• Posted

Hello Hank,

i dont have salt as I have high blood pressure. ibe had 2 blood tests, one last year and one last week and my sodium is just under lowest 'normal' level.

So.... i urinated at 1.30 today about 200ml

then, as i had a long drive, not till just now at 5 hours later with quite strong urge, could have held it bit longer but went at 6.30 and 300ml.

but had 3 cup drinks.

however although ive just been it does feel like i could go again a gentle urge that i know i can ignore.

• Posted

Bringo, u may have something, on issue of inguinal hernia.. As I have had three hernia operations, two in emergency room. Throw in obstructing median lobe into bladder..a closed channel result seems any incision there results in retro, for the rest of life? . I have had uro only advise Rezum..I wanted more info about the cystoscopy and ultrasound done, but dr. refused to answer questions..just generalities. Only meds now, flomx .4 mg & Myrebetriq 50mg before bed time. One and half month in, already losing efficiency. Always read, meds do not work for large median lobe for BPH and OAB. I know little about IPPS, I know IPP is measurement of protruding median lobe into the neck bladder. A length which can be problematic for procedures as Urolift, Rezum, others. Thinking of Aquablation, Bipolar Turp, maybe Greenlight laser as minimally invasive. Please, keep posted. Good luck

• Posted

Thanks Barney I did as you suggest...

Stopped drinking at 7pm last night

woke at 4.30am (strong urhe) to urinate 400ml

Then some urination about 9am with defecation.

After that and about 4 drinks nothing till

12 noon 100ml and only slight urge.

What do people think? i have to ask as NHS is so slow

• Posted

So last drink last night was 8pm. bed at 10.30

woke up at

4.15 600ml

7.15 200ml

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.