My doc is sending me home post shoulder surg ( bicep tenodesis & bursotomy)with out sling????

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm worried I'm getting sent home without sling & protection for my surgery. I've been in agony prior & never heard of anyone being sent home without a sling??

Help, I'm going home in 5hrs!!!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

OK I’m curious what do you mean you’re going home in five hours? Did you just have surgery? Yes you should be in an immobilizer or sling of some kind in order for the surgery to heal correctly it has to be kept from any movement for usually 4 to 6 weeks. I don’t know who your doctor is? But you should’ve talk to him about this way prior to surgery.
    • Posted

Hi Mia, my surgery was yesterday & I stayed overnight, going home this morning. He told me prior I'd have it for 6wks post. Surgery was as planned, no surprises during 🤔

• Posted

OMG! Get a sling!That is just plain scary and painful to think about!
    • Posted

That's what I thought!!! I've got one on now & definitely wearing it home! I don't understand his reasoning at all 🤔

• Posted

Protect that arm!!! I’m post op and 8 wks post op. Just got out of my sling last week. You need to protect it especially in public. Don’t want anyone knocking you. 
  • Posted

Good girl. Wear it whenever you’re walking around. I was allowed to take it out of the sling the following day but only if I was say sitting on the couch watching tv with a pillow under it for support. If I got up even to the bathroom, the sling was on. Not only that, it gave my arm a rest. It actually felt good to wear it
  • Posted

That's insane! Have someone buy one for you. You could damage it a lot without one!

• Posted

My orthopaedic surgeon sent me to get fitted BEFORE the surgery.  Glad you got yours.  Relax and let it heal.  The journey is just getting started!  Take care and good luck!

• Posted

I'm doing really great. At 3 weeks plus and out of the sling at home and can drive again!

• Posted

Good luck Nancy... however that’s WAY too soon to be out of a sling & driving!  If I were you I would google the surgery you had and read the write up‘s. You need to keep it immobilized and stable for 4 to 6 weeks at least or you can re-tear it! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.