My Doctor hasn't diognosed me with anxiety,but im constantly worried and fearful?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been to see my GP quite a few times, and when i tell them i'm having panic attacks, they tell me it's down to stress at school, but deep down i know its not, my grades aren't too bad. I'm constanly worried about what awaits me and just dont know where to turn because i dont know what it is. I dread having to go to out and when i am im constanly edgy? i feel like i worry more than i should but i cant control it? am i experiencing some form of anxiety or is this normal?rolleyes

3 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hey Billie,

I also had problems with my diagnosis while I was at school, does your school have an on-site counsellor? If so have you spoken to them? Maybe your GP is reluctant to diagnose you with anything because it doesn't seem to them like it's affecting your progress at school, they only took notice of my social anxiety when I started missing weeks of school at a time. People only seem to classify it as a disorder if it's affecting your day to day life, so talk to a counsellor if one is available and tell them how you feel and how it is affecting you, then they may refer you to the camhs service (if you're under 18, I'm only guessing that you're talking about high school) for a mental health review or counselling depending on the outcome.

• Posted

we dont have a counsellor at our school but i mightry talking to one of the teachers who helped me with a panic attack once and she told me that she suffers with it. im a bit worried about the outcome because it varies in intensity, so it my only affect me a tiny bit on one day but then be crushing the next and im just worried about what they'll say sad thank you for your advice though, its made me realise school can actually offer help
    • Posted

definitely talk to someone in the school, they are the most likely to be able to help you! my school put me on a reduced timetable to help cope with my anxiety, then referred me to a counsellor on the NHS. don't be worried about the outcome too much, 1 in 4 people experience anxiety in their life and it's completely normal to have good and bad days

good luck smile

• Posted

hi billy it sounds very much like anxiety i have had it for nearly20 yrs you might think your not stressed but more than likley you are doctors seem to think teenages dont get anxiety but you get it at any age try talking to someone luv probabley better out of family there will be someone at your school dont leave it as it will get worse open up you dont need anyone that says pull yourself together that is the worst thing anyone can say to youbelieve me i have suffered with it for yrs but i never had anyone to talk to so never got help it is nothing to be ashamed of

all the best please take my advice

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.