My Doctor is recommending my appendix be removed without any proof of appendicitis

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

Recently I began having pain around my navel which moved to the right side of my abdomen. I went to see my doctor, he told me that it was possibly appendicitis and that he was going to order some tests. That evening, while at home the pain got worse and I decided to go to the emergency room. While I was at the emergency room they got a CT scan, they said that my appendix looked fine and they couldn't find any other reason for the pain. I met with a surgeon, he had actually operated on me recently giving me a gastric bypass. He recommended an appendectomy, I was a little bit concerned because the CT scan was normal.

Unfortunately, After recently having surgery in my abdominal region it's a bit hard for me to distinguish different types of pain, also having had the gastric bypass surgery my intestines are still relearning everything so I do have a loss of appetite, but I don't think it's tied to appendicitis. The only true side effect I seem to be having of appendicitis is pain on my right side, and it does go away and come back as they palpitate that area.

I'm just wondering is this standard procedure? Or is my doctor just doing this out of an abundance of caution. I was under the impression that a CT scan would give a definite yes or no as to whether I'm suffering from appendicitis.

Along with the CT scan everything else came back normal, that is my blood work and urine tests.

Thanks so much for your help everyone!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear of your pains,however I hope you don't allow them to operate on you without proof of it being your appendix. Just say NO! They can't force you to have the surgery, you would have to be in a coma (or sorts) for them to make that decision for you.

Hang in there.

• Posted

I would imagine that if the surgeon has recommended to have the surgery it is because there is nothing else visible causing the problem. as we dont need the appendix and they can remove it relatively easy then hopefullly you feel better if not they will try and find other causes.... possibly gall bladder?

• Posted

My Gallbladder has already been removed so that want a concern. At this point I think I am going to ask for a 2nd opinion.

• Posted

Gallbladder removal can lead to rightsided pain in some people and your gastric bypass may also be the cause. Ask for a second opinion. There is no point in having surgery you don't need.

• Posted

definitely get a second opinion if you don't need the surgery then that is always the best option and i would want to know without a doubt it was my only option. it seems like they're offering the surgery as an exploration option to see if the pain stops. thats not good enough i would for sure get a second opinion.

• Posted

Try to get all opinions in writing. If they say you need removal and you find out that the surgery given you was not necessary you can then sue for medical malpractice.

• Posted

Hi alumascape

To carry out an operation without definitive proof that is needed before carrying out an op is not a duty of care. Seems your doc is just hoping it is your appendix, hoping for the best and hoping the problem goes away. Has your doc had the Scan report back. I would go see him and tell him what the scan showed 'nothing!' Therefore you would not be signing or would not be interested in an appendix removal....whatever next?!

• Posted

Hi @alumascape,

As an Appendix-less gal who suffered from grumbling Appendicitis from the age of six. I would say the one standard and same test I had time and again was Dr. presses on the painful area as SOON as he lets go the pain is tenfold but on the other side of the abdomen. You can try it for yourself just out of curiousity, (it is easier if you have someone else to help) however YOU know exactly where the pain is.

When you feel the pain:

Lie down, relax as much as possible and press on the pain site.

Where does the pain go?

This was ALWAYS the standard or first test tried with Everyone I saw.

The pain should shoot to the other side of the abdomen.

If there is ANY doubt? A Laparoscopy is carried out.

If there is NONE of the above present do not allow surgery.

Good Luck from one who would go back in time in a heartbeat and say "NO WAY DOC!" (The laparoscopy never carried out and my appendix? HEALTHY!)

Be firm and STAY STRONG!

Kindest regards,

K

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.