My doctor suggested I try Gabapentin. Has anyone had any good results with that?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm always afraid to try new medicines because of the side effects.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I get side effects from almost anything and I tried Gabapentin.  I had a bit of nausea and upset stomach (I get this with almost anything), but I also had restless sleep the first 2 weeks I was on it, then that went away.  After that I was OK.  If you were going to have side effects they would probably start within a couple of days.  You could always just try it for a couple of days and see how you do.  You can always stop taking them.  I found it helped more than it hurt, so for me it worked.  Everyone is different though, who knows it may really may your life better, that is worth a try.  Good Luck!!
  • Posted

hi there,

i have not yet been diagnosed with fibro but my doctor has me on 900mg three times a day of gabapentine and it does not do that much for  my  pain, i also take amyitriptly 50mg at night and also tramidol up to 8 per day.  it seems a lot of meds but i need these to just about get through the day.

i have not had any side effects from the gabapentine as yet so fingers crossed.

it is worth trying it may be the medication for you and help with the pain.

janet

• Posted

Hi Janiet,

I have not yet tried the medicine.  I've got a sinus infection right now and decided to work on that & then try the new medicine.  I tried the Tramadol & it didn't seem to work for me either.  I hate having to try different medicines because of the side effects.

Thanks for your help.

Judy

• Posted

Hi dobie,

I too have not been diagnosed 100% with FM.

GP and Neurologist think it is FM but not 100% sure.

I see a Rheumatologist on the 27th May, so hopefully i will get the right diagnosis.  I do seem to have all the FM symptoms. 

I did not realise that you could take 2700mg of gabapentin per day?  I thought it was about 1200 max.?  I take co-codamol occasionally for 'neck' pain; I injured my 5/6th vertebre 2.5 years ago.  I could not do without the Gabapentin, and wonder if i should be getting my dose 'upped'?  Do you still get the FM 'fog', the 'cognitive imbalance' symptom?  I get it especially when stressed, and it's quite scary.  It means that i really have to concentrate on even the simplest things/tasks.  I am a teacher, and it is really difficult.  I get like 'blanks' in my 'thinking'.  Problems that used to challenge me, now frighten me.  Sometimes even the simplest maths gets me 'sweating', which is no good for a teacher, is it LOL.  I am leaving my job at the end of this academic year as i can no longer cope with it.  

Are you able to work??

xxx 

• Posted

hi there,

i do not work as i had an accident at work 9 years ago where i hurt my back and since then things have gone down hill.  i loved my job as a senior care assistant did my NVQ level 3 my safe handling of medication which i was incharge of making sure residents had there medication at the right time and the right dose.  i also did supervisory development.  took me a while to het all these then the injury occured.

As for the FOG i hate that in the middle of doing something and i have to stop and think hard as i forget what iwas doing or going to do.

the worst for me is that i suffer fron virtigo real bad and i also have Meniers which causes problems with my balance and ability to walk in a straigh line i am so clumbs i walk into door frames wall etc., anythig that is inmy way as i cannot gadge directions as my balance is way off.  not safe for me to go out alone incase i stumble or fall it feels like i am constantly drunk not a good feeling.

back to see gp on the 7th june and need to request a referal to a Rheumatologist or Neurologist to see what if anything is going on and hopefully give me some answers about all the pain i am in.

kind regards

janet

• Posted

its the worst thing to have, pain that cannot really be identified or properly diagnosed. I can see when I am off work for long periods that people just don't understand cos when they see me they think I look fine. What they don't realise is that when they don't see me, its cos I am stuck in bed struggling even to get out of bed just to go to the loo. I can feel good one day - go to work, do some shopping, go for a walk and of course look fine, but then suffer terribly for the next few days and, again, people won't see that. My rheumatologist just told me to take 2 co-codamol and 2 tramadol 4 times a day for ever! I really don't want to do that, particularly as when they don't do anything I have to introduce oramorph which also eventually has no effect. I am just hoping that the caprylic acid tablets that I have just started on have some effect. I have also stopped eating bread, as I am convinced that there is a connection there, and stopped eating any refined carbs - sugar! The caprylic acid seem to have helped so far in a lot of ways, no cravings etc so fingers crossed. Also I have reduced my traditional pain relief, but its early days yet! I haven't stumbled today either, although I am a little shaky and my restless legs have not bothered me as much over last two days! Be interesting to see if anyone else has tried these?!

• Posted

its a difficult diagnosis. I have been told by several people I have it, but others that I don't. The ANA in the blood comes up positive and people have suggested rheumatoid arthritis, also because of a lot of white cells on my brain? But all my doctors will say is that are lots of auto immune diseases and all you can do is treat the symptoms and it all seems pretty black and white! Keep taking pain relief! I really want to find out how to stop it, not just keep taking so many blinkin pills every day. I have suffered since a spine and pelvic injury 22 years ago and am sick of the sight of doctors and feeling frustrated when I am told nothing new
  • Posted

I have been on it since the end of January.  It has been slow to 'work' but it has helped me greatly.  Having said that, I still have FM symptoms but not so severe.  It has seemed to have stopped my 'dizzy' spells, which were the worst thing for me.  Quite scary.  I am still however, very tired/fatigued.  I also suffer quite badly from the 'fog' as it seems to be called;  a cognitive imbalance which for a teacher (me) is almost impossible to work with.  I went back to work today on a 'phased' return after nearly 6 months off work. The first 3 months I had useless meds. prescribed which led me to changing GP practices.  This new GP put me immediatley on the Gabapentin.  My illness seemed to begin after injuring my neck.  At that time, diagnosed with Spondylosis I was prescribed Pregabalin, which was a lifesaver.  I understand that both these meds. are very similar except Pregabalin is the most expensive.

I have had no discernable side-effects from the Gabapentin.  I would hate to have to do without it.  I see a Rheumatologist for the first time May 27th, so will see what s/he has to say about medication. 

Give the Gabapentin a go.  Hopefully the GP will start you off on a low dose, as mine did.  I had 100m x 3 per day, and after a month it was increased to 200mg x 3 per day.  Sounds a lot but the doses can go up to about 1200mg per day I believe. 

Good luck and keep us posted!

xxx

• Posted

It worked wonders for me the very first night I finally got a good nights sleep, I would take it during the day however it makes me feel sleepy. I work in printing and operate equipment so I dont want to risk getting injured. I do take it throughout the day on wknds and it really helps. I find though that it takes a few hrs before I notice any relief. Ive read on these discussions that it doesnt work for many. Its strange how much everyone is different.
  • Posted

I tried gabapentin and really didn't like it. It didn't really help with the pain and I put a lot of weight on which I feel contributes to the pain! I have just started on caprylic acid tablets and feel quite positive after just 3 days!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.