My doctor thinks i may have Carpal Tunnel, I dont know

Posted , 3 users are following.

My hand has been painfull and yes i can see how my doctor thinks it is Carpal Tunnel but i thought when i started pilates and with all the stretching i thought this may have caused a nerve to have overstretched or something as never had it till i started all this i know when i sit at lap top my neck has pain and hard to move so could the pain in my wrist and fingers not be from that. Also mostly thro the night my hands are so red something else ive never had but he seems to just think its carpal tunnel im confused as its a worry when you have one arm tingling and painfull

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

If you go through the symptom questionnaire on my website that will give you a good estimate as to how likely CTS is as a diagnosis. It's at least as accurate as the average GP, if not better - though of course it's not infallible. Where the symptoms are not entirely typical then tests can help to resolve the question one way or the other - ultrasound imaging or nerve conduction studies. Dr J Bland

• Posted

Thank you i just thought it was the stretching in pilates as then it started, but yes the more i read i now think yes it is Carpal Tunnel, Oh bugger another thing now. All of a sudden my wrist is more painfull and i notice the base of my thumb also the same i tryed puting an elastic bandage on when working as i work as a cleaner every day but this just made it more painfull, but i see it says a wrist splint is what i need, however dont know if this would work with me in my job.

• Posted

Thumb base arthritis is also common and sometimes co-exists with CTS. Splints for CTS are usually worn only at night, not for work. JB

• Posted

Hello Margaret

I've had carpal tunnel operations on both hands but the symptoms did not include red hands.

The problem started with numbness in the fingers. There is a test for carpal tunnel but it's unlikely

a GP would have the equipment.

Alpine

• Posted

Thanks yes the red hands are prob another bloody sign of something else i think i should just be put down now ha. How long was it you had before you had to get your operation Im just wondering if i should wait till its a lot worse before i bother with that perhaps it will just go as soon as it came

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.