My doctor wants me to continue taking amlodipine/blood work.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone!

I called my doctor yesterday because I wasn't feeling like myself. I felt ok for most of the day, but I had an episode lasting a few minutes, when I felt a little warm in the face, not really light headed, just weird. Maybe because I hadn't taken my meds since Thursday. I was taking 2.5 mgs. When I called my doctor, after waiting all day for her response, I got a call from the office and the person said that the nurse spoke with the dr. and she wants me to start taking the 5 mgs again. Even after I told my dr. that I was having some adverse reactions as mentioned in another one of my posts. 

I asked that if I restart taking the meds, should I start at the 2.5? She said no, start at the 5 mgs. I am suppose to go get some blood work done, but I don't have the $ for it. Even at $100., I can't afford it at this time. SHe said that one of the tests/bloodwork will see what my liver and kidney functions/levels are. Should I be concerned about restarting and what the meds can do on the liver and kidneys? If there is any damage to the organs, can it be stopped or reversed?

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I honestly wouldn't worry about 5mg causing any workload on the liver/kidneys. Some people are on a hell of a lot more and are ok. I'm on 10mg and have been for over 20 years!
  • Posted

Hi rozanne321. It's quite possible the 'episode' you experienced had nothing to do with the Amlodipine. You did say the episode lasted just a few moments, yet you had warmth in the face. I wouldn't be at all concerned about the  'episode' being

withdrawal from the Amlodipine, as I've been told by at least 2 Pharmacists, that it's perfectly safe to abruptly stop the Amlodipine.. Amlodipine also is known to cause flushing, but again, the weird feeling was likely something entirely different.

Never ever stop taking medication without the consent or supervision of your doctor. If you aren't on any other bp medication, stopping whatever you're on i.e.Amlodipine can cause your bp to spike. I believe it to be common that when blood work is done that liver & kidney function levels are checked. It's the same for potassium, salts, etc. Please try not to be concerned about this. If the side effects of the Amlodipine persist, then get back to your doctor & ask for something else. 

Further to your concern about kidney/liver functions...I think if there was anything to worry about, you'd know it by now. Again, testing the blood levels is very common. 

From what  you said, you were taking 2.5mgs...then you went on to say the Doctor wants you back on the 5mgs. My memory isn't very good at times, but I'll assume from what you've written that you cut yourself down to the 2.5mgs...is that correct? Again, follow the advice of your doctor. An old saying goes...."One who doctors themselves has a fool for a patient".

Happy holidays!!!!!

• Posted

Hi roazanne321,

Just catching up on the summary of the forum. Yes, I agree the saying...The one who Drs them selves has a fool for a patient. True...we are not Dr's. But what you can do is educate yourself on your condition and inform your DR of what is concerning to you. There is also a saying that DRS are just practicing....so don't be their guinea pig! I have suffered nerve and muscle damage due to Amlodipine. My kidneys and ability to sweat have also been affected. I had to educate MYSELF so that I could be strong enough to tell the DR....NO...I"m not taking this anymore. And SURPRIZE....it's now going on a year since coming off the med and I'm still in rehab. I too was only taking 2.5 mg. And I don't even have high blood pressure. Amlodipine is NOT for everyone. If you have concerns....tell your DR and tell him to prescribe something else.

• Posted

Michelle, if you don't mind my asking...what sort of nerve damage did you have?

I have been doing a lot of reading lately about the effects CCB's have on the body (at least on some people). They can induce a medical condition known as Erythromelalgia...burning sensation in feet/legs, etc...swelling...I'm not saying this is true in all cases, but certainly has been reported. I'm in the throws of doing more research, & see the Nurse Practitioner at the end of January (I'll be away on holiday for 2 weeks prior). I have some information I'd like her to read when she has the time. I've had quite enough of the leg burning, etc...& want something done. Yes, I have deep vein insufficiency in the left leg, but that doesn't affect the right leg. You're right..we have to educate ourselves, but not allow ourselves to be pushed around just because the Dr. somehow gives us the impression they don't want to deal with it, or don't know what's going on, but don't admit it. I will ask to come off the Amlodipine (I've had a sensititivity to it in the past, so the culprit could very well be the Amlodipine)..however I will asked to be monitored because I don't want the bp to spike just because I've come off the Amlodipine.Surely something else could be given to me as a replacement. IF coming off the Amlodipine doesn't make a difference with the burning...then I know for sure what's going on. 

The difference may take a few weeks, but as I've stated, I'm nervous of the bp spiking...I won't project what may be agreed or disagreed, but I'm certainly going to try.

• Posted

Hi Mike!

I agree with you...we shouldn't allow ourselves to be pushed around or into taking something that the Dr.s don't want to deal with, but we have to. Somehow I feel that when I mention how I have been feeling taking the amlodipine, it seems as though she's listening and yet not listening. Or maybe she might feel "hurt" that I am reading up and questioning whether I should still be taking it. Mind you, she's a very nice dr. and I like her. She spends time talking with me and is not demeaning in any way.

I still have to go and get a home BP monitor. My sis in law keeps forgetting to bring it when she picks my daughter up for church service. If you have any suggestions on which one I should get, it would be greatly appreciated! I don't have a lot of $ to spend on one.

I am concerned about my bp spiking too every once in a while, but I have and am still learning to control the stress that is around me, which I feel caused my bp to go high a while ago. Now that I have the use of a loaner car, which is a relief but is also stalling once in a while, that has lessened the stress of being stuck or having to try and plan things only on the day my ex-husband can drive me places.  Any ideas or thoughts?

• Posted

Omrom bp machines are highly respected.They are recommended by many Pharmacies. There are various models
  • Posted

Oh, and as far as blood work......mine showed nothing. Even the nerve damage didnt show up in the tests the neurologist ran.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.