My doctors don't agree on Hypo

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am so confused. I have my ob/gyn who says I am Hypothyroid and wants me on Levothyroxine (.50). Went to an Endocrinologist who said my numbers are normal (showed her my results). I am a 48 year old female and not sure what to think of this.

My numbers are: Free T4 .80 ng/dL and TSH 3.17 uIU/mL

I suppose a third opinion or go with my endo who is supposedly the expert. What would you do?

Thanks! Erin

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I agree with the Endo - those results are normal. You don't need to take Thyroxine and you probably wouldn't see any improvement with it.

• Posted

They look good to me too... but you can always get a third opinion if it's bothering you..

• Posted

I just can't imagine any doctor giving you a T4 replacement medication such as levothyroxine, with numbers like that...  I'm sorry, I know it may not be what you want to hear, especially if you are symptomatic, but there are so many other things that can cause the same symptoms as hypothyroidism.  Perhaps it's time to start looking for another cause if your not feeling well? 

• Posted

Here I go again and I will be slammed for this I recommend disregarding numbers. How do you feel? If you are not having sx of hypothyroid, then review your diet total diet and eliminate things that cause your body not to function well. Sometimes supplements help where your dietary intake could be deficient, but don't be too eager to take that RX. I was pushed on it because of lab results and it made me very ill and caused high blood pressure when I never had it  and now I am dealing with healing myself from those drugs and pray to God every day I will be free and my good health hasn't been permanently damaged. I confirmed the RX caused high BP and I confirmed it on the Mayo site.

• Posted

I feel fine other than weight gain and tired in the middle of the day. I am also low on Iron so started taking supplements. I just don't understand how two docs can have two different interpretations. I won't take the meds if I don't need to (and certainly don't want to). Thanks everyone!

• Posted

Agree  Vit D good idea for everything. Best source is Cod Liver Oil and it comes in Gel Caps. I know fish oil is pushed a lot . but a good many fish are bottom feeders, but Cod isn't which means they eat less "crap", so in turn you ingest less chemicals.

• Posted

I do have low Vitamin D and Iron and started to take the pills to get this back in check. Thanks for all the responses!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.