My Dr said...alcoholic and smokers livers...

Posted , 6 users are following.

If not severly damaged....rejunivate and actually "are powerful livers".  We were talking about me taking Lorazepam and she said I should switch to Klonopin because it lasts longer for anxiety in the body.

​And she said people that have smoked and drink (and no longer do)...their livers metabolize substances really quickly..and get them out.....so used to the over work of the alcohol.

​She said if you take a person who never drank and gave them 1mg of a benzo and someone who used to drink and give 1mg of a benzo...the person who used to drink....the benzo will not work as long or be as effective because their livers are working to get the stuff out...quickly....its called something like faciliatation or something.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Probably why drinkers can drink more and more without hangovers.I know I have to drink a very lot in a short number of hours to feel ill the next day
    • Posted

Yup she did say that it is also why the tolerance of us alcoholics..for liquor builds....as the liver is working harder to remove the alcohol.

​I always felt ill the next day...which is why I would add another drink to my system to feel better.

• Posted

Hello Misssy,

I am always worried about liver.  I take several medications. What you have just written is really interesting. If I take 2mg of Diazepam for anxiety... nothing, no effect at all. I have taken 5mg previously. Can't keep to that level. Doc. obviously wants reduction, as addictive. Well, I have to basically overdose to get any benefit. My liver has been damaged , in the past.  I check my eyeballs every morning ... looking for yellow. Yet, I cannot stop drinking, again.  All the help available.  Information everywhere, yet I just keep on drinking. If this drug I am on now, does not help... I am dead.  Our livers are in total distress with all the alcohol. We cannot fight illnesses because the liver is dealing with the alcohol poison, all the time. I don't think that a "recovered liver" is really as good as one that was never damaged.  

It acts quickly, but when blasted with alcohol, again...it crashes ! Hence the totally wrecked effect.

No easy answer, except the obvious one.

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

check your eyeballs every morning - I laughed..but it is NOT funny.

​What is interesting to me is does the UK prescribe the Diazepam so easily? It seems many are on that....and here in the US...if you drink..the Drs goal is to take away all benzo's...which is horrible! 

​I had a long history of 8 years..no drinking with anxiety...so they trust me that I really CAN stop (from the past) and they are currently prescribing the benzo for me....but I know that if I drank and it was detected...it would be a battle to continue with the benzos.

• Posted

Hello Misssy,

It is quite funny... when I read " check my eyeballs" back !  You should see the facial contortions... pulling eyelids up, then lower eyes down... not a pretty sight. 👀 All in search of the white bit (usually a bit bloodshot). Oh dear !

Alonangel

• Posted

Misssy that's very interesting. Learn so much on this site. Thanks for that x

alona..2 mgs of diazepam is useless. Makes me feel a little sleepy and that's it. Waste of time. Re hangovers Im not one of those who doesn't get them. always get them if I drink more than half bottle of wine. I have a friend who can drink 3 bottles and then function the next day. Suppose it's because we're all very different. 

What a flamin battle of ours is xx

• Posted

I was drinking 3 bottles at one point without hangovers but it was over a whole day and not concentrated to one evening
    • Posted

Hi nicole...yea even with my drinking spread out...I always had an ill effect...like paper says....if I didn't get that effect...I probably would have no reason to STOP drinking. 

​Glad for you that you are not drinking 3 bottles anymore.  That's alot.

• Posted

We are weaklings...lol.

​I think based on what nicole said...if I wasn't feeling sick from drinking...I would keep drinking.  I think it must be harder for people who don't get sick from it...to stop...

• Posted

Yep misssy. Positive thinking. A blessing in disguise as they say...lol x
    • Posted

Yes,that's the problem,knowing I can function the next day even when I've drunk a lot
  • Posted

It's interesting that there seems to be many in this forum that are or were on anti-depressants, perhaps a side effect of alcohol. Not something I have ever had.

Although I'm on many more medications than others, on top of vitamins. I can't have salt again, ever. Not in cooking, not on my plate and I have to watch the content on any packeted stuff.

• Posted

Hello Paper fairy,

I didn't know about the new advice to Drs.  Some anti- depressants have warnings not to drink alcohol, when on them.  Others say no inter- action with alcohol known.  I know that alcohol is a depressant.  That doesn't stop me drinking it.  

I think we should not drink alcohol while taking any medication, but I am having a heck of a long battle, to try to give it up, again.  

Alonangel 

• Posted

Basically alona, the drugs don't work re antidepressants,,when drinking. And if you drink too much whilst on some anti depressants it can be fatal. So you have to talk to your dr about it. X
    • Posted

Thanks Paper fairy.  That is quite a problem, for me. My G.P. knows all about my history with drink.  Has been my Doc for 30 years.  Has helped me through some very bad times.

Alona  x

• Posted

I'm so pleased you have a doctor that is understanding and is helping you. You are a good person. I really hope you your battle with nalmephene and alcohol gets easier soon. It's not easy, I'm struggling too xx
    • Posted

I wish you well and strength to win.  It is some heck of battles in a great, big war.  xx  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.