My ears in the past few days

Posted , 1 user is following.

I've always had ear problems in the past which has given me trauma. I have experienced these issues from flying and swimming as a child and I've also perforated my eardrum as teen. I actually don't swim at all because of this. But when flying, earplugs on the plane work very well, without them I would be in a lot of pain.

I recently went to the doctors as I was curious about the tinnitus I have been getting which included of pulsing, ringing and hearing my senses react from loud noises. After examining my ears she told me that my left ear is completely full of wax and she couldn't even see my ear drum, saying that they were surprised I could hear. I was told to buy some ear drops to deal with the wax.

Two days after I got a very sharp pain in my right ear when using the ear drops, this shocked me as I was not expecting that much pain. I went back and saw another doctor who told me to not use it on my right ear as it didn't have nearly as much wax in comparison to my right. I was then suggested Microsuction and its something that I'm going currently waiting on.

I've been rejecting the ear drops until recently. I got into bed and put my head at an angle and then felt as if my ears got extra blocked in comparison to how they were and caused me to wake up in the middle of the night twice due to some pressure leaving me to think my wax has submerged my ear drum. My voice was loud to my left ear as was my breathing, teeth and jaw.

I woke up this morning with it being much worse than yesterday and I could sense minor pain and sudden tightness of pressure occasionally in my left ear when driving. I would try touch my ear with a tissue but have no wax come out. I finally used the ear drops again after the break with my head tilted and put cotton wool in so they wouldn't come out, three hours later the wax left my ear but not really how I would of expected, there was a fluid which may have been the ear drops itself or from my ear drum if damaged, I don't know as previously the doctors couldn't see.

What my questions are:

• Are you only supposed to take wax ear drops if you plan on getting them removed by syringe?

• I understand that brown discharge is the wax but is the other clear substance along with it the liquid from the ear drops itself or discharge coming from my own ear as the ear drum could be perforated or is that simply how the ear drop works? (I wouldn't like to go back to the doctors a third time.)

-Would you recommend that I keep taking the drops and that the effects of my ear were expected effects of the ear drops?

• Is it normal for me to feel a sharp pain from using ear drops? The only disclaimer I've been told by the pharmacist was the crackling noises? I'm at the point where I want to avoid them. When I get Microsuction, I heard that ear drops won't be necessary.

-Am I overreacting or should I be concerned? I understand if I am due to the developed fear I've gained from ear problems in the past.

-Should I be concerned of my left ear now hearing noise be fuzzy after the wax coming out?

-I've learned that you shouldn't try to clean your ear with objects but can an extreme build up of earwax like mine push and damage the ear drum on its own?

-Why would lying down and resting my head at an angle give me extra hearing loss?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.