My Effexor hell

Posted , 4 users are following.

Don't even know where to start!!

I'm 26 and have been on Effexor for about 6 years. I went to a doctor after struggling through a bout of depression and was told here take this 75mg Effexor

I took it on and off. Wasn't overly reliant on it

At age 22 again, struggling with a bout of depression hoping to get some bulk billed counselling sessions I was instead prescribed 150mg of Effexor. At this stage I was super stressed and my weight plummeted to 49kg. I questioned the dose the doctor told me it was fine..

About 2 years ago I dropped down to 75mg.. Slowly weaned and we all know the withdrawal symptoms are HELL you literally just want to not exist and experience the withdrawals anymore

Today has been a sh*t day. I work 12 hour shifts so I couldn't fill my prescription yesterday..

I'm normally up at 5am for work so that's when I take my tablets

Today I slept in, got busy and around 2pm when I started to feel awful is when I realised I hadn't taken my tablet and went to the chemist

It's now 8:20pm and I still feel cloudy, irritable, tired, teary... I literally want to punch my partner for simply touching my arm

I'm so irritable

These symptoms happen regularly even if I've taken my tablets early

Have I built up a tolerance?

I don't feel depressed but I do have occasional low days. What human doesn't ?

Has anyone had an effective alternative to Effexor?

I'm always tired. All I ever want to do is sleep.

I remember when I first started taking this toxic crap it would make me feel awake and alert

Ideally I'd like to get off it all together however I just can't cope with the withdrawals

I start to withdrawal so quickly.. ( taking it at 5am for a few days in a row, then I might not take it till 11-mid day the next day and withdrawals already kicking in )

Please help.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

As for muscle relaxer medicine from your GP , because this will relax your muscles and you will sleep good.
  • Posted

Hi there. Sorry you are having a hard time. I was on it for 4 yes highest dose at one point was 300 mg. I lost my ins. And ran out of pills. I was also on a low dose of klonipin. My panic attacks are so severe my bp was up to 160/105 at er the other day. They gave me 12 klonopins to help. And it has a little. Not a lot. But if things get too bad go to er or call your doc. Wish you luck. This isn't easy.

• Posted

I'm lucky enough to not suffer panic attacks but do get the shakes and heart racing

I curse the doctors who put us on this!

• Posted

Agreed. I am now on klonopin for my GAD and severe panic attacks. That's all I need.

• Posted

Dear Kayteenoelle,

Sorry you are feeling this way, unfortunately going cold turkey causes severe withdrawal symptoms, and yes you need to take this medicine roughly same time everyday to avoid them, if you want to get off this drug you have to ask yourself the following:

1. Am I ok now ? no depression anymore?

2. or you I am still depressed but I hate this drug

if you think you are well and dont need it then gradual weaning with support from health professionals including counselling is the answer,

If you still depressed then see your doctor to consider switching to another medicine knowing that all drugs will have some sort of side effects

hope this helped.

• Posted

Id be happy to switch to something else however whenever I tell my doctor he doesn't really listen and doesn't suggest an alternative sad

• Posted

Well that's just ridiculous. You need a new doc. If things get unbearable go to ER. Wish you luck! Keep us posted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.