My endoscopy experience

Posted , 2 users are following.

I went in today to have my first upper endoscopy. I was TERRIFIED. I had been losing sleep, stressing, and considered cancelling my appointment. Reading all the horror stories did not help at all. I was already informed that I would be put to sleep with propofol ( I read horror stories about the extreme burning upon insertion). To my surprise the whole procedure was a BREEZE. The only slightly painful part was getting my IV put in, which was only about a 2 on the pain scale. I get rolled into the procedure room, talked to my doctors and anesthesiologist, got the oxygen in my nose and the mouth guard put into my mouth, and then BAM. Next thing I know I'm waking up. No pain or anything. The sleep felt like a regular nights sleep, I was even dreaming. I did not feel a thing!! When I woke up I actually felt slightly annoyed that they didn't let me sleep longer lol! It was that good! I have no throat pain, no dry mouth, nothing. I only feel a little sleepy but alert. Currently eating a sandwich and chips. If youre reading this, you WILL be fine! Dont let all the horror stories scare you!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Also, I forgot to add, I had biopsies done as well. Still no pain.
  • Posted

Glad it went so well for you and that will encourage others. We don't all have the same pain/ fear/ panic thresholds, obviously, but it is good to read the good news.

My panic is anaesthetic so I chose to not have any and it really was fine but if you're happier not knowing, so to speak, then that's fine, too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.