My ERS is 29 but I have swelling near my hand fingers area

Posted , 7 users are following.

I got my ERS tested and it is 29. Is this normal because I have pain and swelling on the back side of my hands near fingers on bones and in legs joints also. My hands nerves are also looking more prominent please advise

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I think you may be referring to Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate (ESR) which is a marker of inflammation? So, it may be elevated if your joints are swollen and painful (sorry but I'm not sure what the normal range is). CRP is another marker often used to measure or monitor levels of inflammation. Carol

• Posted

How old are you? If you are young (under 40) then any doctor would have to agree that ESR is on the high side. Up to 20 is considered "normal" although if your personal normal is in single figures 29 is much more elevated than if your personal normal is 19! (The normal range isn't a range for each person, it is the range of levels found in the general healthy population),

But ESR will rise for all sorts of reasons so it is just a general guide - even a cold will send it higher. You need to get it checked again and if it is still high, perhaps more investigations. But it is reasonable to expect that if you have joint pain as well - speak to your doctor.

You can't see nerves - do you mean the veins on the back of your hands? That varies a lot.

• Posted

You could be sero negative. I am, and was diagnosed by my symptoms. My ESR was only high the first time it was taken. I've been through three dmards and just started humira yesterday. 

Keep a list of your symptoms and read up on RA. You have to be a good communicator with what you're feeling. 

Good luck!

• Posted

ESR and CRP levels mean nothing, all it tells you is your inflamation level. Inflamation levels have absolutely nothing to do with pain levels.   I've tried a host of DMARDS and biologics, most have lowered my ESR and CRP levels to below normal levels but made absolutely no difference whatsover to pain levels or the spread of the disease.   ESR and CRP levels are simply an indicator of inflamation, and other problems such as anaemia, that Doctors use to to make an educated 'guess' at what disease is affecting you.   CRP levels 'may' indicate a variety of conditions such as lupus, RA, some cancers, pneumonia and a few others.   ESR levels serve a similar purpose in helping to indicate some inflamatory conditions such as RA, PMR, lupus and so on.   These tests are simply something the medical fraternity use, in concert with other symptoms, to 'guess; at what condition ails you.

I'm sure someone here will post, using the correct medical terminology she has googled, but this is the crux of it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.