my experience

Posted , 4 users are following.

i had a colonoscopy in march , they gave me dormicum but this didn't stop me from crying at about 60-80cm from the rectum. they had to stop because i was in a lot of pain. in april i had a video-capsula investigation for the colon , they found some diverticuli . now i have to do another colonoscopy, this one all the way because my symptoms are still present (diarheea, nausea, lack of apetite) . my new doc said he will give me propofol and i won't feel a thing. What do you think? i'm really scared because my first one was so so painful and i told myself that i won't do that again. but now i have to :cry:

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Only reason I can think they gave you Midazelam is to make you drop straight to sleep. The also give it to Ki'ds as premeds. I don't know whether he thought it woul relax your muscles, but Miazalam isn't known for 'chillin', it;s known for getting to sleep quickly. I thinnk propofol is given intraveously, whether to send you to sleep or keep wo]you at a constant an more comfortable sedated to withstand the procedure.
  • Posted

Can't make the decision for you, but DO sympathise.

Colonoscopy is AGONY--I too had mine aborted due to the pain. It's a test that's not fit for one human being to inflict on another.

If it's essential---if you are young and the medics suspect cancer--you should insist  on full anasthesia.Thiis is more expensive for the hospital, but they'd be amputating  limbs on a slug of brandy if patients didn't insist.

I tried without success to get an answer to my question: "Isn't the fact it hurt so much, mean the bowel is being stretched beyond what is safe and healthy for it?"

I am old, and sure to die of something nasty soon, so it's easy for me to refuse to undergo this procedure ever again. You will have to decide whether it's worth the trauma. I feel for you : fear of the procedure is truly awful.

Best wishes.

• Posted

I had a colonoscopy last year. It was hell and I have been traumatised and generally unwell ever since.  I was given pethidine and some other drug.  Told later I had tortuous colon with few diverticulitis.   I am 75 and have had 3 heart attacks and a serious autoimmune disease so would definitely never put myself through this agony again.  I'm very sorry to hear you have to have this repeated.  Hopefully they can offer you better sedation.  Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.