My experience 44 days after GLEP

Posted , 9 users are following.

Some of you might have read my original post about how things have gone with my GLEP procedure about a month ago.

I read many of the posts that are made about supposedly less invasive procedures and militant posts about the horrors older procedures like GLEP and I shake my head.

I'm 52, in gym condition and had a 44g prostrate which is now 23g after the procedure. I remained at the hospital overnight, catheterized. had it removed early in the morning and urinated on my own and emptied my bladder down to 9ml per probe, where before i was retaining 300ml.

For the first several days i was throwing clots in my urine flow and there was very slight burning at the end of urination, also what i assume is retraining my body that i don't need to push so hard anymore.

I've been having amazing sex and no issues at all in that department. Retrograde ejaculation seems to come and go (full pun intended) sometimes its there full force sometimes not, when its not the volume is maybe 1/4 of what it used to be.

I began hitting the gym upper body only about a week after the procedure with no effect. Began light cardio about 2 weeks after (stationary bike). I did bleed a little after the first attempt and became aware of my operative area, but not enough to take any pain killers. I backed off for a few days then returned to it with no issues.

Week 4 began doing olympic weighted squats and bled the first day throwing a lot of clots, things that boggled the mind came out through my urethra, that stopped after day 2, there was no discomfort at all.

I am mow back to excercising 90 minutes a day 6 days a week with no issues at all.

I sleep like the dead now, uses to get up -

4-5 times a night, I now wake at 5am and pee easily and go back for a snooze. My stream is like a firehose now.

Do not dismiss GLEP as an option, make sure your doc is well versed in the procedure, my urologist has written scholarly papers on GLEP and sounds like he does them a little differently than most, but he trains a lot of doctors on it and had three docs attend my procedure for training.

My outcome may also have to do with my age and fitness level and that I didn't sit on tamulosin for a decade before submitting to the procedure.

On my follow up with the doc I asked him about Rezum and Urolift, both he is trained in and his answer was "I'm a bad business man, with the promises those procedures make i could be so much more affluent, nevermind the repeat visits. I'm here to heal men, not make false promises and extract their wealth, I do what works and I'm really glad you trusted me, it means a lot to me."

When the bill came my surgery (what the doc made) cost $1800 US. The anaesthesiogist made that many times over. My doc worked on me for 82 minutes. Go figure.

Anyway one of the beat decisions I've made about my health ever.

Hope this helps gents.

0 likes, 8 replies

Report / Delete

8 Replies

  • Posted


    Thank you for the up date. What you are saying is very true. Your outcome is because of your age and having a good doctor that cares. But you do know that it could have gone the other way.

    Your ejaculation could have been gone and you could be leaking and in a lot of pain and a problem getting a erection. With you only being 52 and in good shape. And your doctor taking his time to do the GLEP procedure not all doctor will do that. They get you on the table and start cutting away. There main concern is to get you to pee better. I am happy that you still have it all. A man of 70 may not have the same outcome.

    That is why we have to research any procedure that we are going to have. Look at the outcome and the side effects. What you had done there is still a lot of risk. I would not and did not take it. I did not want any problem with sex or losing my ejaculation. I had the Urolift done almost 4 years ago. Still wide open. But we all do what we feel is right for us.

    Take care and I hope all stays well for you...Ken

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    I have not heard of GLEP! What is it, if you don't mind my asking?



    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted


      It is not what I thought it was. What he had was a Greelight Laser Unculeation of the Prostate. ( 70 % chance of having Retro ) I thought he had a Green Light Ejaculation Preserving procedure.( 30 % chance of Retro ) It all depends on the how skilled the doctor is With the procedure. Doctor tell you about retro that is does not happen that much but it does so they tell you to be prepared for it to happen. They also say you don't need it. 9 out of the top 10 procedure cause retro.

      I'm happy that Rick had a good out come but you have to research anything your doing to your body and any side effects.............Ken

      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    I chose my doctor because he is a leader in the field and is a major proponent of healthy aging for men, he does TRT as well and is about my age. His bonafides speak for him. A few things:

    1. He does not use the laser to vaporize all the tissue he uses the mechanical device to do most of the cutting and uses the laser when the tissue is too tough to cut mechanically and as a "spot welder" to stop bleeders etc. His procedure is documented in my other post op thread here.

    2. He told me to expect retrograde, that its guaranteed. In my case it isn't for whatever reason.

    3. He also made it very clear that this was the absolute best option for me and that I am cured, there will be no recurrance.

    Losing ejaculation isn't truly that important to me, sex feels as good or better than before. I thought it might be weird but it isn't. My partners were used to pretty spectacular culminations, yet seem to not care like at all given the changes. There are other great benefits to retrograde, if you think about it, but I do understand some folks horror at the idea of losing ejaculation. To me the benefits greatly outweigh the loss of ejaculation.

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up