My experience 5 weeks after Haemorrhoidectomy 

Posted , 172 users are following.

After 5 weeks of doing the operation and especially after passing through some really horrible times of pain and misery I promised myself that I owe it to everybody out there to share my experience so that you can derive benefit out of it. I had suffered from haemorrhoids for 20+ years and it is only because I became severely anaemic due to blood loss from passing stools that I was forced to do the operation. With hindsight I could have avoided 20 years of misery, of lost sports, of severe discomfort in cars and planes by taking the plunge and doing it earlier.

First and foremost, Haemorrhoidectomy is a very common operation and albeit there is a very small percentage where things get complicated the cases are getting less and less each year. I'm saying this because each and every person that does this operation will pass through so much pain that instinctively he or she will think that they are one of the few that is unlucky.

Secondly the pain WILL PASS!

I repeat it WILL PASS!

The absolutely horrible, can't take it anymore, about to throw up, about to faint, never going to be the same, never going to be happy, stuffiness, bloated feeling, blade cutting through your backside pain WILL PASS!

Realistically a person who does this operation will experience two annoying factors namely pain and discomfort. In the first few days the pain is so bad that you cannot think of anything else including the discomfort. After that the pain between going to the bathroom will slowly subside but the discomfort will increase primarily due to constipation. Hereunder please find my tips and what I would do differently if I could go back in time.

1.   Increase your intake of fresh fruit and vegetables and water weeks before the operation to soften your stools and prepare your body for a life change. This diet change is a must EVEN AFTER the operation unless you’re a masochist and want to pass through it again.

2.   Cut out anything that might make you constipated – research. This includes alcohol, caffeine, chocolate, refined foods etc.

3.   Do a fresh water enema the day before the operation.

4.   Do a list of all the things you missed out on because of your condition and promise yourself to enjoy life more after the operation and to take care more of your physical well being.

5.   Mentally prepare that you are going to be in severe pain but also be aware that this is only temporary and that you’ll be tons better after that and the effort would have been worth it. Incidentally I was in excruciating pain for about 5 days, in agonising pain 5 days after that and in manageable pain 5 days after that. By the end of the second week I was 60% better. By the end of the fourth week I was 90% better with only the annoying leakage to take care of. By the end of the fifth week I’m 95% there.

6.   Try and limit pain killer as much as possible as they will slow your digestive system and the resulting constipation is worse than the pain.

7.   The feeling of still feeling massive haemorrhoids after the operation is normal. This is due to the swelling. The importance of having formed stools that are SOFT is important. Underline formed not diarrhoea as you need your system to re-function even if it means a little more pain.

8.   The feeling of passing sharp blades during the first few days is unavoidable. This mixed with blood and excrement is not a pretty felling or site but I PROMISE YOU it will get better.

9.   Keep the are dry otherwise you’ll develop sever rash – been there done that – more pain to avoid.

10.                 Keep moving. The more you move the better your digestive system works, the less laxatives, the less bloated feeling, the happier you will be.

11.                 Be prepared to go the bathroom at a moments notice.

12.                 Run a warm sitz bath often – it does wonders to sooth the pain

13.                 Squat not sit to pass stools. It’s easier to excrete, less painful and quicker. I’m still squatting and there is no way I’m going back to sitting. Before I sometime spent between 30 – 45 min on the loo. Now I’m in an out in 3 minutes.

14.                 Keep the area clean. Use a bidet, shower or whatever you want. Use only toilet paper to pat dry the excess water. Again with hindsight this should be norm. After all if you covered you hand in excrement you wouldn’t simply wipe it off with toilet paper but you’d wash the hell out of it.

15.                 Drink lots of water and take a reasonable amount of fibre. Taking fibre without water is a recipe for disaster.

16.                 You are going to have to live with sanitary pads for a few weeks until the area heals sufficiently. It will get gradually better. I have gained a new respect for women who have to wear these things once a month; very annoying.

17.                 After you recover promise yourself to share your positive experience and the things that worked out for you on a blog for the benefit of others. It’s kind of a chain get better advice blog.

18.                 Most important of all – KEEP POSITIVE and take care of your health. You only have one body.

36 likes, 343 replies

343 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi all....

I am having my surgery next week, and I'm terrifiedcry

I've been reading and posting some comments on this forum which make me feel  at ease because  I have people to talk to (who is in similar situations)

Thanks guys for sharing your experience...and I really hope that everyone here by now have full recovery and your "back there" is looking & felling greatwink

I am stress thinking of the after opssad I just dont want my kids to see me in pain....especially my eldest who is 10yr and very protective over me....

My husband is taking two weeks off to help me with school run and stuff,

I've never been so scared in my life about anything to do with medical.

but I'm so scared to the poitn that I couldnt sleep properfly since I scheduled my appointment 9 Dec.

hhhhhhhhh... another thing that I have to face in my life...And I know it will pass as Glen  and everyone here says....

wish me luck guys...

I'm starting eating more fruits vegs, water....etc  as Glen said in order to prep for the op.

oh well, thanks for reading this....and again hope everyone is in perfect coditions regard to this Haemmorhoid!

• Posted

Hi An,

How did your surgery go and how is your recovery?

I am booked in for next week and am also terrified. I'm worried about the pain and constipation and having to use laxatives as I think that's one of the factors that got me into this mess in the first place.

I'm also concerned as they seem to come and go. When I saw the GP she said there was nothing there but I was in so much pain I asked her to refer me anyway as the pain was being caused by something and after a bowel movement there would be a lot of swelling. Then I saw the first consultant who said I only had one internal one and banded it which was very painful for a few days. When I returned for my checkup (having experienced more swelling after the banding) the next consultant said it was substantial and would recommend surgery.

I'm now booked in for surgery next week and I'm hoping they all show up. I've read posts about eating well and be hydrated but I'm tempted to do the opposite just to make sure that they all make a full appearance for the surgery.

I'm just scared that if I do that, I'll be in a whole lot of pain after.

I'm planning on eating smoothies with flax seed and stewed apples with probiotic yogurt afterwards with plenty of water too.

I hope you're feeling ok.

• Posted

how encouraging to find so many helpful folk in the same boat.I am 9 days post op with a bit of a prolapse and a have been told to rest a lot.I am a vegge so diet is good no probs going to the loo just stinging and painful afterwards and worried about the look of it.Sleeping well after 2 Nytol  just painful post loo.

​But thanks Glen for all the interest genetated will this ever disappear?

• Edited

Thank you Glen

Two days post op and begining to feel this will never end.

Thanks for reassurance.

X

• Posted

Hiya, I'm 5 months post op and the first 2 weeks were tough but then it got so much better. I found controlling my food and water intake really helped by recovery and there are notes from me on this thread for what I found helped. I never used any laxatives as I didn't want to unbalance my gut but I did use the softeners. Going to the toilet was still miserable for the first week but that can only be expected given what that end has gone through. Buy a bath that sits on you toilet and use it after every BM with hot water and salt and it will keep it clean and help healing.

I also bought an inflatable ring but actually found one of though bean bag aeroplane neck support things that you can get from the pound shop was better for propping my bottom up so it had no pressure on it. It was also good for taking out with me as it was a bit more discrete than an inflatable ring!

I actually found the thing that took longest to get over was the general anaesthetic and was slow for several weeks afterwards.

But now 5 months later, I feel good and I'm really glad I had the op. I worried about it coming back and still am very careful with my diet but worry what it will be like once I have children and hope I'll cope with pregnancy and child birth.

If it did return I would definitely have the surgery again, so clearly having the op was less terrible than having the affliction.

Take it easy and sleep a lot if you can. Try not to take too much of the strong pain killers if you can help it as they cause constipation. I hope you feel good soon. Take care.

Ox

• Edited

Hiya, I'm 5 months post op and the first 2 weeks were tough but then it got so much better. I found controlling my food and water intake really helped by recovery and there are notes from me on this thread for what I found helped. I never used any laxatives as I didn't want to unbalance my gut but I did use the softeners. Going to the toilet was still miserable for the first week but that can only be expected given what that end has gone through. Buy a bath that sits on you toilet and use it after every BM with hot water and salt and it will keep it clean and help healing.

I also bought an inflatable ring but actually found one of though bean bag aeroplane neck support things that you can get from the pound shop was better for propping my bottom up so it had no pressure on it. It was also good for taking out with me as it was a bit more discrete than an inflatable ring!

I actually found the thing that took longest to get over was the general anaesthetic and was slow for several weeks afterwards.

But now 5 months later, I feel good and I'm really glad I had the op. I worried about it coming back and still am very careful with my diet but worry what it will be like once I have children and hope I'll cope with pregnancy and child birth.

If it did return I would definitely have the surgery again, so clearly having the op was less terrible than having the affliction.

Take it easy and sleep a lot if you can. Try not to take too much of the strong pain killers if you can help it as they cause constipation. I hope you feel good soon. Take care.

Ox

• Posted

Ox

• Posted

Ox

• Posted

Ox

• Edited

Hi Glen, it has just been 8 days since my operation (op was June 25; conventional hemmorhoidectomy)and I can say that I am lucky since I think I'm doing better at recovering than most! A day after the op, I was released even though I have not pooped since I have farted plenty. Fair warning, morbid details below wink

It was painful to pee or fart on the first and second day. The worst pain is for the first and second BM. My doctor didn't tell me anything. In fact, he said I could eat anything I wanted. Since I did eat everything I wanted, even though I drank 8 glasses of water at least after the op, I was still constipated. Well, constipation is normal for me since I just usually poop twice or thrice a week but I got worried when after 4 days, I still haven't pooped. After I went to the doctor, he told me to take dulcolax tablet every night and eat fiber.

On morning of 5th day, couldn't poop still. I feel the urge to go but whenever I try to go, the pain is excruciating, I cant take it. So I was bloated, miserable, and I know the poop is near the rim of my anus so its stretching it. I feel a spasm every hour and it hurts. From day 2 to 4, I can walk normally but on the 5th day, because of the pain in my rear, I walked funny, bowlegged. Too late by then but I decided to eat oats -- I ate half cup of oats in the morning and another half cup at night. I decided lunch is my 'normal' food. I drink 1-2 glass of water in the morning which makes me pee almost hourly. Whenever I pee, I drink water again so I probably drink at least 18 glasses of water a day. Night of 5th day, I took dulcolax together with my prescribed antibiotics and pain killer.

On 6th day, around 6am, I felt the urge to go. In the toilet, I was miserable. I couldn't poop but my stomach is rumbling. I think that since I was constipated, there's a lump of hard stool blocking my rear. Cursing and nearly passing out, I decided I had to get this going. I know they said not to strain, but there's no other way for me. I was crying on the toilet, straining. My rear was on fire and I can't poop. Every time I feel the hard poop breach my anus, I unconsciously stop pushing because it hurts so much! It was a psychological as well as physical battle for me. I'm not sure where I found the strength but I was able to finally push it out! I felt nearly passing out. After a very large hard lump, I poop a small hard one and then softer thin stools. I was really really tired. So after cleaning my self, I struggled to stand. It's a good thing my toilet was small coz I have the sink and walls to steady/hoist my self (I live alone). Then I took a hot shower. I must have spent more than an hour in the toilet with my long shower combined. Even after pooping and hot shower, I'm in constant pain. My rear would spasm 3-4 times an hour and it hurts I couldn't sleep, I was just in bed until 11am. Pain meds cant seem to keep it at bay. Also, since I strained, I was afraid I had an anal fissure. On 12noon after lunch, I had to poop again which hurt a lot even if my stool was the soft thin stools. I pooped 3rd time after dinner, but this time it was smooth -- my stool was too loose but at least less pain.

I don't wanna be constipated anymore so I continued to drink a lot of water, eat at least half cup of oats a day, drank my dulcolax nightly, ate veggies and controlled my rice intake to half cup. I also limit myself to 2 pain med -- will try to eliminate this as soon as I can.

To ease the discomfort I also bought a travel neck pillow I can sit on. My BM now do not hurt as much because of my new regimen and I intend to keep it that way. My doctor just prescribed using dulcolax for 3 days but I'm so afraid to be constipated now I'm thinking of continuing it for some more days. I'll try if the oats, water and veggies can suffice as stool softeners buy if I can't poop tomorrow, I'll probably go back to dulcolax.

I also have the skin tag by the way. I don't want it so I'm hoping it'll go away soon. Not only does it hurt, it makes cleaning my rear difficult. Whenever I clean my rear and I accidentally poke it even if gently, it hurts a lot. Contrary to my first assumption, I now think I don't have anal fissure which is good.

I don't have the squatty potty but I did find a few tricks to help with BM. While sitting, I tip toe and drape my arms overy lower abdomen to put a little pressure and lean forward. I also breathe through the mouth so it's easier to relax. I don't strain now, I just wait for my poop to fall.

Thank you for sharing your experience. It was nice to hear and it has motivated me. It really is a lifestyle change. I don't wanna undergo another operation and hopefully if I keep this up, I won't ever have to go through the ordeal again. I hope my skin tag will go away on its own even if it takes months, I just don't want another incision or wound.

I keep telling my friends to avoid hemmorhoidectomy by living, eating and drinking right because of a very painful and long post-op recovery.

I have a follow up check up with my doctor on July 16th so hoping to hear affirmation of good news from my doctor.

From your story and others who have responded to your post, I think that I am recovering fast compared to others and I feel all the more motivated and positive.

My prayers to all of us, hope we all get better soon!

• Posted

Hi Emma, you described my last four days 100% I'm identical to you, as I've just been prescribed senna and I'm to take 2 at night and hopefully tomorrow morning (day 5) I'll be going. The feeling of the movement sitting at the lowest point but psychologically I can't let it go!!! Walking bow legged everything is the same. I'm glad you're through it now and am hoping each day gets better for me? 

• Posted

Hi Glen,

Thanks so much for your detailed recovery, it definitely gives hope. I'm 4 weeks post hemeroidectomy. I never imagined recovery to be as slow as it is but it's happening which is the main thing. My main question is, did you suffer leakage after a BM that continued for a few hours after and if so, for how long post op did this happen? My consultant tells me not to worry it will stop but I am becoming very down about it. Any input of anyone's experience would be so so helpful....thank you

• Posted

My Dr told me leakage is normal. I just had my surgery on the 12th ??. You can use sanitary napkins or stuff with gauze rolleyes

• Posted

Did you Dr mention how long the leakage would last for. My Dr told me to come back in 3 months 🙈 Which is not what I wanted to hear when I am desperate to know when it will stop
    • Posted

No he didn't mentionrolleyes just that it would happen and to stuff my crack with gauze lol I use pads instead.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.