My experience 5 weeks after Haemorrhoidectomy 

Posted , 172 users are following.

After 5 weeks of doing the operation and especially after passing through some really horrible times of pain and misery I promised myself that I owe it to everybody out there to share my experience so that you can derive benefit out of it. I had suffered from haemorrhoids for 20+ years and it is only because I became severely anaemic due to blood loss from passing stools that I was forced to do the operation. With hindsight I could have avoided 20 years of misery, of lost sports, of severe discomfort in cars and planes by taking the plunge and doing it earlier.

First and foremost, Haemorrhoidectomy is a very common operation and albeit there is a very small percentage where things get complicated the cases are getting less and less each year. I'm saying this because each and every person that does this operation will pass through so much pain that instinctively he or she will think that they are one of the few that is unlucky.

Secondly the pain WILL PASS!

I repeat it WILL PASS!

The absolutely horrible, can't take it anymore, about to throw up, about to faint, never going to be the same, never going to be happy, stuffiness, bloated feeling, blade cutting through your backside pain WILL PASS!

Realistically a person who does this operation will experience two annoying factors namely pain and discomfort. In the first few days the pain is so bad that you cannot think of anything else including the discomfort. After that the pain between going to the bathroom will slowly subside but the discomfort will increase primarily due to constipation. Hereunder please find my tips and what I would do differently if I could go back in time.

1.   Increase your intake of fresh fruit and vegetables and water weeks before the operation to soften your stools and prepare your body for a life change. This diet change is a must EVEN AFTER the operation unless you’re a masochist and want to pass through it again.

2.   Cut out anything that might make you constipated – research. This includes alcohol, caffeine, chocolate, refined foods etc.

3.   Do a fresh water enema the day before the operation.

4.   Do a list of all the things you missed out on because of your condition and promise yourself to enjoy life more after the operation and to take care more of your physical well being.

5.   Mentally prepare that you are going to be in severe pain but also be aware that this is only temporary and that you’ll be tons better after that and the effort would have been worth it. Incidentally I was in excruciating pain for about 5 days, in agonising pain 5 days after that and in manageable pain 5 days after that. By the end of the second week I was 60% better. By the end of the fourth week I was 90% better with only the annoying leakage to take care of. By the end of the fifth week I’m 95% there.

6.   Try and limit pain killer as much as possible as they will slow your digestive system and the resulting constipation is worse than the pain.

7.   The feeling of still feeling massive haemorrhoids after the operation is normal. This is due to the swelling. The importance of having formed stools that are SOFT is important. Underline formed not diarrhoea as you need your system to re-function even if it means a little more pain.

8.   The feeling of passing sharp blades during the first few days is unavoidable. This mixed with blood and excrement is not a pretty felling or site but I PROMISE YOU it will get better.

9.   Keep the are dry otherwise you’ll develop sever rash – been there done that – more pain to avoid.

10.                 Keep moving. The more you move the better your digestive system works, the less laxatives, the less bloated feeling, the happier you will be.

11.                 Be prepared to go the bathroom at a moments notice.

12.                 Run a warm sitz bath often – it does wonders to sooth the pain

13.                 Squat not sit to pass stools. It’s easier to excrete, less painful and quicker. I’m still squatting and there is no way I’m going back to sitting. Before I sometime spent between 30 – 45 min on the loo. Now I’m in an out in 3 minutes.

14.                 Keep the area clean. Use a bidet, shower or whatever you want. Use only toilet paper to pat dry the excess water. Again with hindsight this should be norm. After all if you covered you hand in excrement you wouldn’t simply wipe it off with toilet paper but you’d wash the hell out of it.

15.                 Drink lots of water and take a reasonable amount of fibre. Taking fibre without water is a recipe for disaster.

16.                 You are going to have to live with sanitary pads for a few weeks until the area heals sufficiently. It will get gradually better. I have gained a new respect for women who have to wear these things once a month; very annoying.

17.                 After you recover promise yourself to share your positive experience and the things that worked out for you on a blog for the benefit of others. It’s kind of a chain get better advice blog.

18.                 Most important of all – KEEP POSITIVE and take care of your health. You only have one body.

36 likes, 343 replies

343 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

thank you for your absolutely detailed and helpful note!  I have hemorrhoids too but only off and on and certainly not anywhere close to requiring surgery, at least so far.  I always have kept a diet rich in fibers and a lot of fruits and always have been in the habit of drinking 2 full bottles of water a day starting in the morning.  I think that's what is keeping the severity at bay.

i am glad for you that you are done with it and doing better now.  I am saving your note, hopefully i will never need it for encouragement, but as i get older things change fast.  And every day.   Thanks Glen 😊

• Posted

Hi Kalean

A word of advice. It's better to nip them at the bud, literally wink. If you treat them as Grade 1 or Grade 2 you have a number of surgical options that are at worst uncomfortable such as ligation. But if you procastenate you will have no otion but to go for the nip&tuck and that my friend is painful.

If I were you I would go for an opinion

• Posted

I agree. 20 years ago I had them dealt with in outpatients then left it over 15 years ignoring it and had to have the open surgery one. 
  • Posted

I am  also concerned about what feels like an external pile but it's the root of an internal one that was cut and is still,outside. It should go back but 3 and half weeks and still hasn't. I am told to wait two more weeks. It's still swollen. 
    • Posted

I had a small welling on the external side and round about the fifth week it nearly dissappeared. The total healing time for the operation varies from 8 - 12 weeks. As long as you are gradually getting better I wouldnlt worry about it
    • Posted

Great to hera that. Mine is narly gone now - I'm at 7 weeks post op
  • Edited

hi Glen im so glad to read this, my hospital did not repeat did not prepare me for the after affects at all - i am now stuck in straining and needing to go and cannot ignore it and sometimes passing some small stool bits or nothing and ending up in doubled over agony. i am now just over two weeks after the op, and i know the cause of my straining is the swelling but its catch 22 - any tips - this has been the worst htree weeks as i cannot go out as soon as i stand i get the urge to go?
    • Edited

sorry for the late reply as was out of town. My only suggestion is to keep your stools naturally soft. So natural fibe in reasonable quantities, loads of fresh water and move, move and move to get the system up and running. Avoid pain killers at all cost unless you are really in pain. Funnily enough ther comes a day where you are 50% better overnight - I hope it comes soon
    • Posted

Hello Paul, I'm 14 days post my surgery and I seem to be in a similar place to where you where. Is there any light at the end of the tunnel? I get to the point where I've emptied my bowels but I still need to keep going. 

Any my advice much appreciated. Taking on lots of liquids and having a fybogel (though think that may be making things worse).

• Posted

and also ive ordered the squatty potty to stop it ever happening in the future
  • Posted

Update on mine just over 6 weeks ago. Sunday there was suddenly a major improvement. Although not fully retracted its suddenly much more comfortable. The main issue now is bowel movements and upset stomach. Not really knowing when I'm going to go or feel like going next making travel still worrying. At least it's improving and I now feel it will be ok but it's a bit longer than the two or three weeks I was told by the NHS. E45 cream is better than sudocreme unless it's just a coincidence. I started using it a week ago. Now hoping to be fully ok by October when I see the consultant. All the best. 
    • Posted

Gordon

How are you feeling now I'm almost 3 weeks and see the swelling that looks like a hemorroid surgeon said it's a skin tag from the surgery site and give it more time to go down. Can anybody tell me if they had this and how long it will take to go all the way down if it ever does. ..FEELING ALONE with this stupid surgery I only hopei never have to do this again. ..

• Posted

I am 3 weeks in and it's the same. larger tags. painful. hoping it eases in time.

• Posted

Thanks for the tips, can i ask sqaut? don't mean to be graphic but do you mean on onto paper?, not using the Loo at all?.. Right now i am elevating my feet and leaning forwards to try to reduce them back to normal.....Btw i I was told about sqautting that's why mostly indiginous people don't get hems.  
    • Posted

Squatting is the natural way. If you were to do it in a field say like we were kids. Blame the Roman  for changing that. Buy a squatty potty. That way you can squat over a normal high lav. Look up squatty potty on Amazon. Becoming quite popular to stop eastern people from standing on the rim. Hope that helps. I have one and its once of the best things I've bought even if my sons think it hilarious I have one in my toilet as it looks like a kids step up stool. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.