My Experience - 7 Weeks After Nhs Halo And Haemorrhoidectomy

Posted , 64 users are following.

I am a 49-year old male and had stage 3 piles for about 5 years. They never really caused me any pain or suffering per se but were an inconvenience. I had been to my GP ages ago to make sure it wasn't anything serious. Towards the end of 2009 I decided to see what options I might have for sorting them out as I figured I wouldn't want them to get worse and despite being fit and healthy and eating well, they had not gone away of my own accord.

I went to my GP and she did a digital exam and said they were very small - didn't seem like it to me - she said she could refer me if I wanted but I declined. A few weeks later I figured I was copping out and returned to get a referral. I went to see a consultant locally who got me to come back for banding. This was very easy and though it was a bit uncomfortable I was optimistic that it would sort it all out. It didn't - even though it seemed like it would work it in fact made no difference whatsoever. I returned to him and he said he would try the schlerotherapy and another banding as they were quite big and the portable banding machine wasn't up to it. Again nothing really changed.

I read all these forums and was in two minds like so many others whether to pursue it any more. After all I was not in pain per se and clearly some people have really awful experiences, sometimes made worse by the tteatment - I knew I certainly didn't want anything slicing off! I read up what I could about HALO but it seemed to be mainly sales pitch. I decided to see the consultant again and ask him about it. He said he didn't know anything about it but his next step would be banding under GA and he was confident that would do it.

For one reason or another I wasn't convinced and so I called the HALO people and found out where there was locally that did it. They also told me how much it would cost privately (?3k+) but that with a referral I could probably get it on the NHS. A few weeks later I had a session with a consultant who explained the whole thing - also diagnosing a polyp as well as piles - which would never have responded to banding so I was glad to have taken the 2nd opinion. Anyway he put me on the waiting list for a polyp exision and possible HALO.

Time came around in about 6 weeks and I went into hospital for the first time in my life to have day surgery. I was apprehensive but quite positive. The whole experience was very reassuring - the staff were great and I felt very cared for and the surgeon was friendly and explained things. I signed on the dotted line, had my pre-med and felt the curtains close

Woke up feeling fine about 30 mins later. The surgeon explained to my surprise and a bit of shock that they had had to cut a large pile off so I might have a longer recovery time than expected (he had said at least 2 weeks for HALO and up to 10 for pilectomy). That concerned me a bit, espceially when the nurse brought my meds to take home - 3 types of opioid painkiller, 2 types of laxative and some antibiotics. I got the impression they were trying to tell me something. I stayed about 2 hours to satisfy them I'd had a wee, eaten and drunk some fluids etc and got my wife to pick me up.

Felt pretty OK generally even with after effects of the GA - ate and drank lightly and feared the first pooh which came 2 days after the op. Uncomfortable certainly but not especially painful. The absolute best thing after each BM was a nice warm shower spray for a few minutes which really soothed the bruised feeling. This got better over the next 7 to 10 days. I work from home so was fortunate that I didn't need to take time off per se after the first day getting my head clearer but I wouldn't have wanted to have to commute or be away from home.

There were some bad bits but not what I would have expected. The worst bit by far, and it was _horrible_ was the antibiotic (metronidazole)- I had to take it for 5 days and didn't realise what a nasty drug it is (check it out on ****)- around day 3 I was finding alternate nights of complete insomnia, nausea, sweating and a really depressing state of mind feeling like I would never get better. I googled all the meds and realised it was the AB and that these were fairly common side-effects. If I had had a longer run of them I would have asked to change but I figured I would see them out. It was awful and I did have another day off cos I just felt so damn bad from them. My advice here - don't just take what is given to you and not check it out - be aware of what has been prescribed (in fairness they did say thatsome of the meds could give nausea, constipation etc but I didn't expect this one to be so heavy).

The other downside was the laxative - I should have had clearer instructions. You definitely want to make sure you have soft stools etc and are acutely aware that what you eat has to come out the other end - soups, bran flakes, porridge etc are great for this. However if you just take teh laxatives as prescribed - and you are not already constipated (I am always regular)- then they will just play havoc and have you very windy (which also seems to come from the GA gases) and farting all the time with a sore anus is quite painful/uncomfortable in itself (esp if you're not too sure what might be coming down the pipes!) It kept me awake a bit.

What I should have thought with the meds from teh starts is - take them /if/ needed (except see below)

So I had been prescribed metronidazole as mentioned - I took that for the 5 days. I had 3 painkillers - Tramadol which I didn't bother taking, Codrydamol, I took a couple but then didn't bother (and my wife used them all up on migraines!) and Diclofenac - this last one I should have taken all the time but didn't. It is an anti-inflammatory and because I didn't bother with it I think I put myself back a couple days with a very sore and inflamed bottom - so this one I would say take as a matter of course (and I didn't have any side effects). For laxatives I had lactulose syrup and ispagel husks - both are palatable enough but as above I realised after a coupe of days that I probably didn't need them.

All told I was not incapacitated at all. It took a good week to not be too worried about the next BM. After that it just was a process of it getting better every day. The main thing was that the prolapsing piles/polyp were gone and that was a great relief. Had a check up last week and I would say I now feel 100% down there and no concerns at all.

I am very pleased I went ahead with it - I had overcome embarrassment about it ages ago and plain speaking is all that is needed - my reticence had been around being \"operated\" on but that all went very smoothly. I know there are some horror stories on here where people say that the op is worse than the piles but I am sure that complications are in the minority and I would not hesitate in recommending anyone suffering and holding back, check out a good consultant and have it all sorted out. I was glad I had it sorted out when I was fit and in good shape - I think that plays a big part in making the op run smoothly and the caring for oneself that much easier. If was old, infirm or very overweight I think it would be harder. Weight wise I had lost nearly 3 stone over the last 18 months and again I think that helped keep recuperation short.

If, and I hope they don't, recur then I would happily go down the same route again. I hope this story helps others.

Mr Relieved of Surrey

[color=red:ad977d8329][size=9:ad977d8329][b:ad977d8329][i:ad977d8329](Sorry but Patient Admin have removed a Doctor, Consultant and or Hospital name from this posting, as it is the policy of Patient UK not to publish these on this forum.) [/i:ad977d8329][/b:ad977d8329][/size:ad977d8329][/color:ad977d8329]

[color=green:ad977d8329][size=9:ad977d8329][b:ad977d8329][i:ad977d8329](Sorry but Patient Admin have removed either a telephone number, an email address, a postal address and or web address, from this posting, as it is the policy of Patient UK not to publish these on this forum.

If you wish to communicate directly with people, you should register, for free, with the forum (click Register in the menu list below the green banner above). You and other registered members will then be able to communicate with each other via Private Messaging (PM) or e-mail.) [/i:ad977d8329][/b:ad977d8329][/size:ad977d8329][/color:ad977d8329]

5 likes, 218 replies

218 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi to all,

Help and advice desperately needed!

I was reacting badly to movicol so cut out for 1 day then down to one sachet the next, then yesterday I had fybogel. Yesterday was the first day I had less stomach pain and more appetite; I ate a good meal last night.

this morning I woke too early, hungry, but decided to go back to sleep. A big mistake. I also didn't have a cup of tea on rising, but fruit tea instead. The feeling of hunger was not there any more. It's like my body thought 'oh, ok so you're ignoring me? I will ignore you right back!'

It is now after midday and still can't go, despite squatting on the loo, massaging my stomach (colon massage) and gently pushing. There is definitely something there, but it won't move. I suspect there isn't much weight behind it to really push it down? I'm worried the fybogel is to blame, as it bulks out the stool and makes it soft. I do drink loads, at least 2 litres of water, and I'm eating right, so what should I do?

My doctor said as a last resort try a glycerine suppository. I have put one in (that was fun) and now I'm waiting.....

Advice?

Getting scared

Mandy x

• Posted

Hi Mandy..

You poor thing, I hope the suppository has worked for you. I was advised by my consultant not to put anything in there.

My doctor changed movicol to laxido but i still kept having problems, I'm now experimenting with lactulose,

I'm having a small spoonful after breakfast and tea time. It's helping me to go, although I've changed a lot of my eating habits after all our discussions and I'm having much smaller meals. I wish I could say it was all

helping but I'm having a really really bad day. I have had 4 bm's already today and now I'm in a lot of pain

again. It's not helping that I've got my son and his girlfriend staying, they turned up with about 6 loads of

washing, the house is a mess and I'm shattered!! Luckily they have just gone out for a few hours so I'm

having a rest. I really should not be feeling like this 13 weeks down the line!!

As for yourself, I would definitely say no to fybogel, they are harsh at the best of times. My consultant told me a long time ago that too many doctors recommend fybogel too freely and it actually can cause more problems.I was taking it before I went to see him the first time, I told him that I had stomach ache and terrible gripes,

he blamed it all on fybogel and suggested I stop taking it. Mind you, to be honest, none of the advice he has

given me so far has helped!!

Hope you feel better soon

Take care

Love Shaz xx

• Posted

Hello Girls,

I have just been catching up reading all your posts, you have all been having a rough time! I have been in hospital following an operation to cut the nerves in my lumbar spine with strict instructions not to strain on the loo at all! Yipee, that means extra lactlouse and laxido to basically induce the runs! Great fun!

I,like Amanda, was prescribed glycerin suppositories and I found them as much use as a chocolate teapot! I had to use enemas which contracted the bowel(very unpleasant but deffo cleared me out!!) How have you got on Amanda? Any joy? I really hope so.

Im keeping this post short because my back's killing me and I need a nice hot bath! But I will be back soon.

Hope you all are making progress and discover foods/laxatives that help and reduce the wind lol

Love Grace xxx

• Posted

Hello,

Grace, poor you! I hope you are feeling better today, you really are brave! How long have you been putting up with that, and what's your prognosis now?

I think by BF thinks I am becoming a bit obsessed with diet etc because I keep learning something new every day. I say why not educate myself if it's for my health and wellbeing??? Also got a lecture about being positive and to try not to let this thing beat me. He should not underestimate us girls because we can cope with A LOT!!! Does anybody have any advice regarding the men in our lives? I feel like nobody else really understands what I am going through apart from you lovely ladies!

I have been learning about squatting on the toilet for better evacuation (doesn't that sound nice?!) and have been reading lots about the latest news in the world of IBS... over the years I have tried lots of things but sadly I have never been able to really tackle the problem.

Since I am convinced that gluten is a no no for me, I am avoiding all grain based fibre (cereals, bread, pasta) Gluten slows me down. I do have gluten free products but I'm not 100% sure how they affect me without proper elimination and re-introduction.

Have you heard of FODMAPs? It is fascinating! I am lactose intolerant and definitely crave sugar of all kinds and suffer with thrush on and off... I am going to try and avoid the fruits and vegetables that have high levels of fructose, fructan and polyol. Apparently, it's becoming a recognised way of helping people suffering from IBS type symptoms and it's basically avoiding the usual suspects and replacing them with foods that don't bring on problems for most people with sensitive guts.

Today I managed to go, eventually... I spent the morning trying (glycerin suppository didn't really do a lot but worth a try) and squatting. Yoga positions, colon massage, everything I could think of! I have gone back on the movicol as of last night (2 a day for now, as before) but I really hope I can cut it right out! It's so frustrating to be unable to go without the need for laxatives!

I had the most delicious meal last night, a stir-fry with various (FODMAP safe veggies, some chicken and 6 king prawns. It took 25 minutes to chew it all! No gas, no bloating, felt absolutely fine! I am going to keep going with this new strategy.

I think I am turning a corner today; I went for a walk and even bought a small number of lightweight items from the local shop! By the time I got back, I had that 'dragging' feeling downstairs (almost like my pelvic floor is trying to fall out??? Anybody else had that???) so I'm glad I didn't go any further or carry anything else!

I hope everybody is feeling ok today. I am sending positive vibes your way.

Thinking of you all,

Mandy x

• Posted

Hello Mandy and all you lovely ladies,

Sorry I have not been on here for nearly a week, my laptop had a total meltdown on Saturday! The repair shop tell me that apparently both Norton and the computers security systems clashed and shut each other down at the same time wiping my whole home screen including the intenet explorer icon!!!! All fixed now thank God, I swear I was withdrawing like an addict when it was not here!!

Anyway, in relation to what Many said re: becoming obsessive about our bowels, I am totally like that too and the men in our lives just do not understand it, possibly because going to the toilet has never been a problem for them, they take it for granted I think. I think it is vital to soak up every little bit of knowledge relating to the digestive system and the bowel because we have to wage a war on it every single bloody day! I would pay good money to not have to think about it and the urge to move my bowels to wake me up every morning...bliss... but alas, sadly not for us lot.

I have never heard of the foodmap's Mandy mentions above, they sound very interesting, I really hope they work well for you.

I am feeling a little better each day, although the tummy cramps I am experiencing are hellish to say the least, this is due to the never ending movicol and lactlose I am pouring down my neck through out each day which,as you can imagine, leaves me running to the toilet very often! I'm thinking of pitching a tent in my bathroom as I am spending most of my life in there at the moment!! But it's a need's must for the time being until my back has healed some more. I was involved in a serious R.T.A in April 2009 which resulted in three ruptured disc's, hip injury and sciatic nerve damage, following a C.T scan it was discovered that I have advanced degenerative disc disease so the operation I had last Thursday was to try and eliminate one problem to see which one is causing the most pain, I was on Fentynal for three years before going onto morphine with nerve and muscle relaxants also so I would never be able to move my bowels without the help of laxatives sad But the plan of action is for me to very slowly start reducing the morphine to get an idea if the nerve cutting procedure was successful. On a positive note, my bottom has now healed nicely, the swelling has all gone down-as was mentioned in one of the previous posts, the swelling does look like a pile post op but it does go away. Mandy what you mention about feeling a 'dragging' sensation in your pelvic area, it isn't a prolapse is it? I believe they can occur after surgery.

I'm going to go now as its very late and I will nod off if I'm not careful eek

Sending you all lots of positively and love,

Grace xxx

• Posted

Hello everyone..

Grace, you have been through so much, it doesn't bear thinking about. And now this as well !! I am so

pleased you are on the mend and healing nicely. I wish I could say the same about myself, mine still

Feels like I have piles protruding, the swelling still hasn't gone down and at 13 weeks, I would have expected

It to all be back to normal by now although I was talking to a friend of mine the other day, she asked what op

I had, when I told her she said that a woman that she works with had the same op last year. She also had all

The problems that we are experiencing, she too had to have a second operation because she had so many

Problems. It was 5 months before she was able to return to work!!!! After the 5 months she felt totally back to

Normal, so there is light at the end of the tunnel! (It's a flippin long tunnel!!)

I am supposed to be returning to work Monday 2nd Dec, which is just over a week away and I'm really

Dreading it because I'm having so many problems still. I tried reducing the laxatives, gradually, and again

within 3 days became very constipated. I still have to go to the loo about 4-5 times a day whether I'm

constipated or not, it really really hurts passing a bm and now, after the 2nd or 3rd time the pain afterwards

is back again for about 4 hours. I have upped the laxatives again so hopefully I will be able to go a little

easier but all the other problems won't go away. Also, I still have that terrible urge that when I need to go it

hurts in my lower back and I'm never sure if I will make it to the loo in time.

Hopefully, I am going back to work on a phased return so it won't hit me too hard. I know I'm still not ready

to return but I can't afford not to.

I have still been very very careful of what I eat, I've even been drinking loads more water. I've kept a food

diary and nothing seems to make the slightest difference. I think with me, it's just going to take time and

I can't do anything to help it along. It's always a case of make the most of the few hours in the day when

it's not hurting and when it starts to hurt take paracetamol and ibuprofen and wait for it to go off.

I've had my son and his girlfriend here, and although it's nice to see them, it's been a lot of extra hard work

and stress, they are leaving tomorrow so I will have all of next week to de-stress and prepare to go back

to work.

Anyway, that's enough moaning from me ... I've lots to do so I'd better get on..

I hope everyone else is doing well, and I hope things work out for you Grace and that your last op has been

a success

Love Shaz xxx

• Posted

Hello Shaz,Mandy and all the Girls,

Just read Shaz's post, even though I am recovering from my lumber spine surgery I feel lucky compared to what Shaz is going through, you poor thing, you have a lot on your plate at the moment. Going four or more times per day is excessive, are the BM's hard and difficult to pass? As you are on a lot of laxatives,is it the movicol you take? Have you ever tried bisacoydl 5mg tablets? They are available over the counter, You take one at night and it works during the night to enable you to move your bowels in the morning. It may be worth a try before you return to work next week so if it works it could be useful. As for the swelling, as I said, mine has now gone but it may be worth mentioning it to your G,P and get them to have a look if your O/P appointment is weeks away. I think you should discuss the laxative situation with your G.P as it is possible you have not got the balance right, I did the same as its a minefield if I'm honest, but my doctor explained about the different jobs of each laxative and we are trying different doses and times which seem to suit me better. But it is a marathon not a sprint as they say!

I hope everyone is seeing a light at the never ending tunnel as Shaz says lol

Lots of love,

Grace xxx

• Posted

Hi Grace, Shaz and others,

Hope you are well today?

I have just been catching up on how everybody is doing. Shaz, I have got my son's girlfriend coming to stay for around 10 days although that is not definite, could be longer. I know how you feel, even though my son says they will both help around the house, it will affect me in many ways (we have a small house with one bathroom and for me this is the biggest concern).

With Christmas around the corner, things are getting busy for my ex; at the weekend my youngest son was delivered home, with 2 weeks washing. It was lovely to see him but I felt so nervous that I wouldn't be able to look after him properly... the weekend was good though, and I even got in my car! So I am driving around now, doing the school run and pretty much having to return to 'normal'. Monday morning was terrifying! The thought of needing to go to the loo at the wrong time?!

I do agree that there is a long, drawn out process to recovery from this op. A very long tunnel. Personally, it is mostly about sticking to my healthy diet and remembering to drink enough water. I am finding I am becoming used to 2ltrs a day now, and feel thirsty more frequently than before. Also, my lumpy bits are going down, which is good, although I still get blood sometimes. Like a tiny bit, And I have been getting a bit of a rash, and feeling itchy??? kind of like nappy rash. I have noticed my B.M.'s have a slightly deformed shape to them, which is a bit disconcerting. has anybody else had any of these things? I think it is where they removed my internal hemorrhoid and it is probably a scar or something? I am loving my 'squatty potty', I am also practicing doing colon massage whilst on the loo to try and avoid needing several B.M.'s in a day.

I am still sore after I go, especially when I feel too full and backed up. Then, it's that heavy sensation like you are not sure if it's wind or a B.M.!

I know some of you have had or do have Movicol. I am taking it, and I find it difficult to get the amount just right. 2 sachets a day appears to be too much after a few days... I end up with cramps, my b.m.'s become too loose and sometimes I get headaches. But, 1 sachet is definitely too little. There seems to be a pattern forming; I have a B.M. in the morning but then don't have another one that day (I suspect because I have gone back to normal life - school runs, etc and am not relaxing at home, listening carefully to my body?). Then, the same the next day, and the next, until yesterday, when I had 5 B.M's!!! Seriously, I couldn't believe so much could come out in one day. I felt a bit lousy most of yesterday afternoon, cramps. Then, you lose your appetite and when you do eat it can upset your stomach sad Definitely too much Movicol in my system!

I have a suspicion it will take me MONTHS to get things right. I hope I don't have to rely on Movicol for the rest of my life, too. I don't trust medications, because there is always a price!

So, I know what I want from Santa this year; a magic wand smile I shall ask him to include you ladies!

I hope you all are feeling well today, take care!

• Posted

Hi - I just am dipping in to this thread as had HALO last March as an emergency op, after 18 months of on off bleeding from stage 3/4 internal piles which then decided to 'not stop' bleeding even just going for a pee!

In the end after fainting twice (and being sent home from a& and told to wait to see consultant!!) due to very low iron levels they realised sooner was better than later as I was also becoming dehydrated as I was scared to eat or drink for the sheer fact it had to come out eventually - and after a lovely night in a&e they finally lopped them off! :-DI!! had a further big bleed post op and fainted in their loo after a BM and required a transfusion to top me back up but after a month or so on a light fibrous diet and prayers said in the toilet I've been 99% blood in loo free! Such a relief.

Recommend the shower treatment and warm baths after things have healed up nicely down there! Very soothing!

I also suffer with IBS and have to watch my fibre but the best thing you can do is *try to relax* about what you are eating. Oh and sweetcorn is evil don't do it! Movicol/ Laxido is good for a few months post op helps to heal things up.

I've since had a small pile or two as prone to constipation but getting by with something called scheriproct from the gp but if they get bad again would definitely have HALO as know what to expect! I was given paracetamol and oramorph post op. I remember having some 'leakage' and passing wind is a little scary - I had an accident on the bedsheets and was mortified! Had two further times at home months apart but other than that have been just fine.

Good luck to those who are healing - it will get better!

• Posted

Hi Every One,

i just want to tell you my experience about piles i am 33 years old i felt this problem in 1998 went to doctor it was on starting stage he gave me medicine but it did not work 2003 it was very painful one of my friend doctor told me take

( Psyllium seed husks, also known as ispaghula, isabgol, or psyllium, are portions of the seeds of the plant Plantago ovata, (genus Plantago), a native of India. They are hygroscopic, which allows them to expand and become mucilaginous.

Psyllium seed husk are indigestible and are a source of soluble dietary fiber. They are used to relieve constipation, irritable bowel syndrome, and diarrhea. They are also used as a regular dietary supplement to improve and maintain regular GI transit. The inert bulk of the husks helps provide a constant volume of solid material irrespective of other aspects of the diet or any disease condition of the gut)

i used it with hot Milk and after that i never felt pain it was pain killer for me.

but after every year or 2 i do had bleeding or pain attack but for a week or only for day or 2. i had last attack of bleeding and pain 5th November 2013 coz of piles i was too lazy and get tired very fast my Wife Pushed me to go to doctor for check up i went to doctor he told me i had 3rd degree piles internal hemorrhoid large size coz after every bowel i had to put them back but it was not very painful. i was used to it.

doctor told me i had operation on 14th of November for 45 min to 60 min but it took them 2 hours i was suppose to go home same day but they keep me in hospital for 2 days to see first bowl moment.

my first week after surgery was very very very painful i do feel poo after very 3 hours and more i go more pain i feel i joint my office after 10 days of my surgery coz after a week of surgery i was not feeling much pain.

now its almost near to 3 weeks i am feeling batter day by day although its not fully heals i still go 3 to 4 times a day to toilet with very less pain no blood comes after surgery till now.

i took medicines only 1 week not taking any tablets only food my doctor recommend me plenty of water 1 apple 1 banana and Psyllium seed husks, also known as ispaghula, isabgol with Hot milk one spoon honey.

i pray for all those suffering from the pain of piles specially after surgery 1st week is unbearable.

• Posted

I am 64 and recently had two ‘roids cut out. Having read beforehand - with increasing unease! - the various posts here, I felt I ought to add some reassurance. On waking from the op, there was little actual pain, just minor discomfort. Not having had an enema beforehand (to my surprise), I didn’t want to overfill my stomach (although I drank plenty of water) & I restricted myself to soups, bread, fruit (esp. stewed), salads, veg, and a little fish and chicken. By the 3rd day, the gentle laxative had begun to work, and the 1st BM was OK – not exactly comfortable, but certainly not painful. After 3 days, I gave up codeine (in case it caused constipation) in favour of the excellent diclofenac. My advice, therefore, is: 1) Don’t worry – it may be much less bad than you are expecting, 2) Drink lots of water (and maybe prune juice, too), 3) Mobilise as soon as you feel able, 4) Trust the laxative! (But don’t use a high-fibre one; eat sensibly and use a “stool-softening” one – I recommend Lactulose.) 6) Notwithstanding Point 3, don’t stray too far from a lavatory while you’re taking the laxative! And you’ll probably need to do a lot of washing (both underclothes and yourself!)
  • Posted

Hi.. It's good to know that you are coping so well with such a positive attitude. I really hope you sail thro

without any of the complications that I and others have had to put up with.

Unfortunately, five months post op, and I am still really suffering. I have been backwards and forwards to the hospital and no matter what the surgeon suggests nothing is helping.

Apparently, my sphincter muscle was damaged in the first op, which is why I still don't have control of my

bowels and every time I eat I have to rush to the loo. I'm still having pain when having a bowel movement,

which is partly due to a fissure, which I never had before all this! The muscles in my bowel keep going into

spasm, which is unbearable, one day I'm constipated , the next I have the runs. I'm still taking laxido almost

every night but if I slow down or come off them I get extremely constipated within 3 days.

I'm now using diltiazem cream twice a day, I have to use is for 2 months then I'm to go back for a third op, this time I'll be having the Botox injections again to try and stop the spasms, if all this fails then I will have to have my sphincter muscle removed and will have to wear a colostomy bag for the rest of my life!!

So.. I absolutely urge anyone contemplating having this op to do their research and do it again. I have read that a damaged sphincter muscle can be caused by haemoroidectomy, if I'd known all this could happen before hand, I would never have gone through with it.

I am back to work but quite often end up leaving early because the pain gets so bad, I can't eat all day

because of what happens when I do. I can't even think of drinking alcohol as it has a terrible effect the next

day. I can't go out for meals and have to decline any kind of social event.

I have tried anything and everything from food to painkillers to excercise. I have taken advice from doctors,

nurses and friends but nothing helps.

My next step is I am going to ask my Gp to refer me to a hospital in London which specializes in this sort of

thing. Hopefully they might be able to put things right.

When I had my first op, the haemoroidectomy, in august, I ate carefully, followed all the gp's and surgeons

advice, I've never strained, taken codeine or done anything I shouldn't. I don't know whether this is the

surgeons fault or I'm just very unlucky, but either way, I've never felt so fed up in my life!!

• Posted

I am a male in my late 20’s and I’ve had a hemorrhoidectomy in January 2014 in order to get rid of grade 4 hemies - or roids, whichever pet name you prefer for the dreadful things.

Before I go on I want to express my deepest sympathy for anyone who had to deal with haemorrhoids, particularly if you’ve had any complications with your op.

I’m now in week 7 after surgery and in the last weeks my recovery has been slow if not stagnant. Every bowel movement is painful, stingy and bloody – sometimes a bm it is bad, the next a bit better then bad again.My mobility is minimal and if I manage to cook dinner without assistance I call that a great day. Some days I feel fairly well until it’s time to go toilet for bm then the rest of the day is compromised – stingy pain, feeling of “raw” and occasional spasms which are sharp, intense extra doses of pain to embellish the awful overall experience.

I’ve had a THD operation before my recent haemorrhoidectomy and it was painful however compare to this time that was a breezy walk in the park. Three weeks after my THD I was able to go out and meet friends in the pub. Too bad that the THD didn’t change my symptoms very much and I had to have haemorrhoidectomy.

People usually laugh when they realise what you suffer from (“oh, is that piles you’re talking about?”) but little they know (clueless!) about what grade 4 haemorrhoids mean! And it’s hard to explain why you’re stuck inside and what kind of operation you’ve had. As soon as they realise this is a taboo area of the body, they secretly regret asking in the first place and wish to press a magic button and disappear. Unless you come across people more compassionate than average, only the great subject of British Weather can help them with the awkward embarrassment.

I always knew that I had to avoid constipation at all cost, particularly after the operation -hat was crystal clear after my previous THD op. The days before the operation I took lactulose and dulcoease and everything was going to plan. After the op I was given fybogel and lactulose. I took a double dose of the recommended lactulose just to be sure and on top of that I’ve added some dulcoease every now and then and some dulcolax, drank lots of water and chose my diet carefully.That sounds like enough, right? Wrong! Despite all my efforts and extra measures, I’ve failed miserably. My first week after the operation was the worst and the constipation didn’t help. The first bm, 3 days after the op, made me regret being alive. It was a torture to pass stool, with blood dripping from my bottom for a complete experience of horror.

I expected to return to normal bowel movements after two months. I’m now close to that point in time and I can easily predict - it won’t happen. I’m a bit anxious and I hope that my constipation period in the first week hasn’t caused any serious damage.

• Posted

Hi All,

I am 2days post op, and it is horrible. I made the error of being fooled by gas, i thought i was gonna fart but lllet out a soft poo few hours after my op. it was horrible, had to be changed by the nurse, i was in tear and my body was shaking from the pain. I was dosed up with morphine and was admitted overnight. i can barely move or seat upright.And strangely i feel there is something still hanging out of my anus, i was made to believe this is swelling. Unfortunately, i am too afraid to even wee because of the pain and my belly is bloated since i have not been to the loo in 3 days and i had meal since then. What will be the way forward or any advice in getting that first poo out?

cheers

A

• Posted

Hi guys!

I underwent HALO on April 11th for 3 medium hemorrhoids. So far the pain has been almost non existent apart from minor aching and spasms which I was warned about. However I had my first BM yesterday and while it was soft, there was clearly some back up which caused a very large movement. After the initial movement there was a large amount of blood then the rest of the BM was normal with no blood. I'm probably over reacting but I'm worried I may have popped a stitch and want to find out if bleeding during the initial BM is normal?

Thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.