My Experience After Hydrocelectomy, Spermatocelectomy and Bi Lateral Visectomy

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey, just had a Hydrocelectomy,  spermatocelectomy, and bi lateral vasectomy early this morning.  I was terrified!  I've been aspirating my hydrocele for around 4 years and it started filling up so fast i couldn't keep up.  Would get the size of a tennis ball.  Just last year a spermatocele formed as well so i decided I was done being a baby, and i would just get the surgery.  I Was tired of concealing the bulge in my pants. After reading so many nightmare stories online over the years, I was absolutely horrified at the idea..  Always wearing long shirts and baggy pants to hide it.  Well, here we are on day one, and it's literally been a breeze so far.  They brought me right in at 6:45am, had me dress in the gown then waited in the waiting room for about an hour.  Then they rolled me into the hallway of the operating ward to wait for my turn in surgery.  One of the workers made sure I had a nice warm blanket while I waited.  Then the anaesthesiologist met with me, asked some questions, then they rolled me into the OR.  They gave me some oxygen, then put in my IV, and started to inject the anaesthesia.  All the people were super nice, they even had some music playing in the background.  Once the anaesthesia was administered I was back awake in recovery before I even knew I was getting operated on.  Was groggy at first, but OK.  I fell in and out of sleep for about 15 minutes.  First thing I noticed was the awful taste in my mouth from the breathing tube, they must put some kind of gross lubricant on it.  I told the nurse and she gave me some water.  Pain started to come on a bit after about a half hour after waking up, more like a pressure than pain, nurse gave me one T3, took my vitals then moved me over to the next recovery where you prepare to leave and wait for your driver.  I had to urinate, the nurse let me walk to the bathroom, and had no issues urinating, no blood seepage through my bandage either at that time.  Walked back to my bed, and jokingly complained about the awful taste still in my mouth from the breathing tube, so she so kindly gave me a Popsicle, that really helped get rid of the taste!  At this point, my driver came in to get me, I requested one more T3 so I would be covered for pain on the bumpy ride home.  Was due for more pain meds around 4pm, but I skipped them as I'm not in much pain.  I'm about a 2/10 while sitting in my chair, and a 4/10 when walking.  If I laugh a bit, or cough slightly, 5/10/.  I have had to fart a few times, but have not been able to as it hurts to try and push it out, so that kinda sucks LOL.   Pain meds wore off after about 2 hours ago, and haven't needed to take anymore.  There is literally no swelling.  Incision was done on the opposite side of scrotum, so its very easy to dress.  just changed my mesh underwear and dressing, and the bleeding is minimal.  I've taken 11 days off work for recovery, but if the first day is any indication of how things are going to go, this is going to be a breeze.  Any question, feel free to ask!  I will try to update as my recovery continues!  At this point in time, I would highly recommend the surgery, it was so easy to get through, and to be able to go through this coming summer without having to hid an uncomfortable bulge in my pants, is going to be priceless!  

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Had my hydro taken care of last July. You will be sore...don't think you won't! But it is minimal and I highly recommend staying in bed and keep those boys iced up. Ice is your best friend and absolutely helps in the healing process. I was out of work for two weeks then went on vacation for two. Best thing I ever did. No problems at all! You  should never have done the aspiration in the first place. They never work!  Best of luck my friend and I  am so glad everything turned out as well for you as it did for me. There are some real horror stories but that's why some doctors know what they are doing and some do not.

• Posted

Day 2 :

Woke up this morning in less pain than yesterday.  Slept in my recliner as to make sure I don't roll over in bed and risk injuring or opening the incision.  I haven't taken any pain meds since yesterday before leaving the hospital.  Changed my bandages again this afternoon, hardly any blood, the incision is healing up nicely.  Definietly sore, but nothing I can't deal with, without meds.  I am resting up, not doing much of anything.  Sitting in my recliner, and only getting up for tea/water/bathroom breaks.  Looking forward to tomorrow as I finally get to shower.  Still minimal swelling, way smaller than before surgery.  Will continue to update as I progress!  

• Posted

Today is day 5.  Been 2 days now since the incision has weeped so im back in regular supportive boxer briefs with no more gauze pads.  Was actually able to sleep on my side a bit last night.  Got out and did some light activities and walking yesterday, the fresh air was much needed.  I woke up again this morning with less pain than the day before.  pain is a 1 when sitting and a 2 when walking.  Bit more if i have to kneel or get up out of bed or a chair.  So far I have zero regrets!  No fluid has re-accumulated as of yet so I would say the operation was a success.  I wore jeans yesterday and had no bulge in my pants, talk about a huge weight off my shoulders and confidence booster.  just an fyi, I've also been taking Metamucil (fibre supplement) since two days before my operation to avoid straining during bowel movements and I'm so glad i did, i highly recommend it!  If anyone has questions, feel free to ask!

• Posted

After three weeks has any swelling from a hydrocele reappeared?  I am just starting to research surgery as my hydrocele is still relatively small but want to be ready if anything causes it to get large suddenly.
    • Posted

Hey, Im nearly a month post op and have no return of the hydrocele. I did have a few set backs, which are rare I'm told. My incision appeared to be healed, but an infection developed and the incision reopened in a small spot. Took a round of antibiotics and all that cleared up. Unfortunately, I've had an allergic reaction to the antibiotics and am now covered in hives. But, on the bright side, the surgery was a complete success

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.