My experience afyer TURP surgery has been very tolerable

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am a 52 year old latino and had TURP surgery 1 week ago tomorrow at the San Antonio VA. So far, i have had no painful urination nor bladder pain. I read many comments prior to having this surgery and i was completely scared to death of this surgery. It has been turned out to be very tolerable with only slight discomfort. I had a spinal anestetic because it kept the area numb for up to 4 hours after the operation. If i would have chosen to be put to sleep, I would have felt pain immediately after waking up in recovery and would have needed to rely on pain meds as opposed to having no feeling at all. I did spent 4 days in the hospital because of blood not clearing enough and doctor deciding a couple extra days in hospital was best to keep me from having clotting issues. I have experience no burning or painful urination and thus far I am peeing alot from half a cup to 3 cups within a 10 minute interval. I dont believe i am emptying my bladder but it is an improvement over before surgery. My follow up is next month and hopefully my bladder retention has gone down to empty or close to it. Overall, this operation's side effects have been minimal. I hope to be back to work 10 days after the surgery which is next Monday. My conclusion for most, this operation will go smoothly.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Thanks for posting.

Pleased to hear that it went well and best wishes for a good recovery.

• Posted

Sounds like you're doing well. Back to in 10 days is pretty good. Is that with your doctor's blessing?

• Posted

Yes, he told me prior to surgery 10 days would most likely be sufficient based on my job of car sales, so the job isn't very physical.

• Posted

Wow God bless Paul.. thats a great news..hope all be well soon and back to normal.But sir why i need a surgery when i dont have a painful uriniation or any kind of symptoms.. yes i drink a lot of water and for that i need to run to the loo quite often.. when iam busy i dont feel for hours but when iam close to the loo i feel my bladder is bursting i need to finish my work..hahhhahah.

Iam hoping after a month to see the doc do get a better positive result..so that iam back to normal.. iam diabetic as well so the doc advised if you can control your sugar levels.. you dont have to see me at all...hum but it keeps fluctating.iam scared.

• Posted

Take it easy Paul. Any straining will make you bleed and set back your recovery.
  • Posted

I hope it stays that way..  Your a young man to me deal with the side effects.  Did you research this pprocedure or di the doctor tell you take it or leave itt Ken
    • Posted

Ken i was put in tamsulosin 2 years ago but a blood in the urine last November led doctor to recommend TURP.
    • Posted

But did you research any other procedure.  Every man has the right to pick whatever they feel is right for them. But what if your life is destrored  Your a young man and have alot of living to enjoy.  There are other procedure out there that may have worked the same for you.  Is that the only thing the doctor does.  I feel sorry for any man that have to lose his sexual function just to pee a little better.  Some men on here have had it and lost there sexual function.  They felt sex was not the same and gave it up and it damage there life and ther marriage.  I wish you well at your age.  I hope you are one of the lucky ones.  THere is a turp that they are doing now that save the sexual function.  Button Turp  The doctor has more control and you end up with the same results and no retro.  Take care and I wish you well.  Ken  At 61  there is not way they would do that to me for any reason Cancer or BPH 
    • Posted

Kenneth I am happy to report that it doesn't seem my sexual function was destroyed. And now actually going through with the surgery and seeing the results, and unless you have experienced it yourself, I have to believe your opinion may be outdated and if confronted with cancer or BPH, you would reconsider your thoughts. Thank you for your post and I wish you well, at 61, you are still considered a young manconfused

• Posted

Paul.  I'm very happy for you that a TURP worked but there are some men that it does not and they end up having another one done.  Some doctors push a TURP because that is all they know.   Thank you for calling me a young man at 61.  I had a urolift done 2 years ago when my prostate closed. Also have a stricture just before the prostate  My doctor never brought a turp up.  And he knows me If for any reason I get worse or get cancer I would never consider a TURP.  No doctor will ever be giving permission to do that to me.  My prostate is staying right were it is .  If I have to have a couple more implants that will be ok.  But I have a paper that if I do have to have surgery that my urologist has to do  he is only to do what he tells me and nothing else.  I do not give total control to any doctor.  Thank you and again I am glad all worked out for you  Ken 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.