My experience and encouragement for others

Posted , 3 users are following.

I know all experiences of GF are very different and so what might be the case for me might not be for you. However, a lot of people on here have suffered for years which can be extremely daunting as a new victim of the virus and I just want to throw some positive in there.

I was diagnosed mid April with GF after not being able to breathe due to my tonsils shutting my throat, I had a raging temperature, swollen eyes, muscle pain, fatigue you name it I had it - a very painful and draining time.

2 weeks of bed rest, no alcohol and pushing myself once ready to do simple things made my recovery almost a dream. 

It’s now only 3 months later and I’d say I’m easily 90% of how I was, I go to the gym 5 times a week, work, go to university it hasn’t ruined my life, just simply put it on hold.

Just want to reassure some of you out there that this doesn’t last forever and if you deal with it initially you can improve the circumstances later on. I now only have a few exhausted days which are to be honest what normal people would have if they had my schedule!

Keep positive and you’ll beat it like I did! X

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Holly,

Congratulations on your recovery. I too recently was diagnosed with EBV infection but I never felt any sore throat or pains. It all started with unexplained fatigue and bloating. I kept pushing my self without actually knowing what was wrong with me. Finally I saw my GP last week and the blood test showed that I contacted this 6 - 8 weeks ago. I also tried a 25km hike when I felt almost normal for a week which I am regretting now. Anyways since past week things seem to be getting better. So I decided to take a week or 2 break from my Uni (4km walk a day) and rest.

Thanks,

RD

• Posted

Hi Holly,

Would like to know, when you had bad days, did you experience the tiredness throughout the day or did it get better worse during some time of the day. For me, some days I tend to feel good after resting on the bed by night.

Thanks,

RD

• Posted

Hi Holly,

It is good to see a post from you, and really good to hear that you are feeling a good bit better. That is great progress in 3 months, well done on that! Things do and will continue to improve until 100%, I truly believe that, and your recovery definitely has been a lot quicker than many people which is great. Remember still be sensible and don't push things too hard either, as sometimes at this stage it can still come back to bite, so just be cautious about not overdoing things too. 

Great encouragement for others and really hoping things continue to go in the right direction from here on in!

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.