My experience - globus hystericus\pharyngis

Posted , 6 users are following.

hello everybody , 4 years ago i got the globus feeling for the first time when i was 17 years ago . i was in the school's cafeteria and as always eating with friends and suddenly got the awful globus feeling accompanied with repetitive gag reflex . it was very uncomfortable and i couldnt talk or do anyhting.

its accurence was very random it may disapear for months and come back for few days but it wasnt affecting my daily activities significantly or affecting me psychologicaly , until one year ago i was in my third year as a medical student and i had lots of exams and i admit i was very anxious and the globus feeling came back to me stronger than before , almost 24\7 i didnt know at the time whats wrong with me or what its called i went to the doctor and after all my tests and endoscopy came clear he told that its all psychological and i need to controll my emotions , but i didnt believe him and did a lot of research and asked my doctor's at university but all of them told me the same , its psychological. i didnt want to believe that i even tried lots of medications antiacids and all different kind of stuff related to the gastric system but nothing worked. i am now at my 4th year as a medical student still suffering , worse at the morning or during the day .. at night i can say it never happen , it started to affect my comfort and mood and emotions , but determined to try everything and find a reliefe in something . i started acupuncturing and neck massages and i'll keep u guys posted if there is any progress , im thinking of trying botux injection in the spastic muscle that causes the lump feeling (cricopharyngeal muscle) if you guys have any suggestions let me know and i'll keep u updated with my case . thanks and love

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi thank you for you info, I have recently started Sahara Yoga and I am about to start accupunture. Apparently accuputure is supposed to be really good for this condition! Let me know how you get on I am so fed up of feeling like this and not being able to eat food normally!
    • Posted

yeah me too i even lose weight and my apetite is almost zero all day long 

• Posted

Try a low dose of amatriptlyne
    • Posted

i will do anything to get rid of my symptoms. It's ruining my life. You must not be that bothered by it then. I would prefer to not take a pill

• Posted

I tried acupuncture also for a short time. 150.00 a visit. Was to expensive for me to continue 3 times a week. I did not notice any improvement
    • Posted

Hi Carrie, I am fed up of feeling like this and would like to be able to eat properly. I'm so fed up I am will to try what I can to see if it helps.

I have been told that mine is all stress and tension related,.

• Posted

I am on it now. My current doc is not a fan of Botox I had this done twice. It does help because now I am sleep thru the night
  • Posted

I did Botox worked for me but you loose most of your voice for 6 weeks or so. I am now on 10 mg amytriptline it has worked somewhat and I am thinking I may not do Botox anymore time will tell . If you are desperate like me you will try everything at least once . This has ruined my life. Just keep trying other things maybe someday there will be new treatment good luck to everyone don't give up

• Posted

Hi Carrie what kind of foods are you managing to eat. I always find in the evening my swallowing muscles are tired do you get any other symptoms?
    • Posted

I can eat anything but cold slushy drinks because that makes me spasm. Foods only bother me occasionally my symptoms seem to be different that yours I don't have that lump in throat feeling only occasionally

• Posted

Hi what kind of foods are you managing to eat and do your muscles get tired??
    • Posted

i eat all kinds of food , i tried a very healthy strict diet but i didnt find it helpfull .. and at this point i think that my symptoms are mainly psychological , but still determined to treat the symptoms at least.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.