My experience of Cauda Equina Syndrome

Posted , 103 users are following.

I thought I'd post about my experience of Cauda Equina Syndrome (CES) in case it's of any use to anyone. I'm a 30-year-old woman.

In spring 2010 my lower back suddenly became painful. It didn't get better. Over the summer I tried various things - painkillers, the chiropractor, the gym, swimming, pilates - but found nothing gave lasting relief. Towards the year end my back became increasingly stiff and sore and one evening before Christmas I fell on the snow and felt a disc slip in my back.

Instantly I was in agony. The doctor seemed to think my level of pain was pretty standard and put me on Voltarol. I carried on with work with out pain but feeling electric shock sensations down my legs every so often. When I came off the Voltarol a week later, I had the most excruciating sciatica and was almost crawling up the walls with pain. I was put back on painkillers and told repeatedly by several very kind, but essentially uninterested doctors that the sciatica would likely wear off.

After about 3 weeks I had upped my dosage of painkillers (dangerously, I later found out) to cope with the pain. My GP told me that no investigation of sciatica was warranted until I had had it for at least 6 weeks. After 4 weeks I started to have difficulty walking. After about 50 yards I would need to crouch down to get the feeling back in my legs so I could continue moving. My feet would point in odd directions sometimes, as if I had a disability. When I lay down, a feeling of coldness would fill my bottom area. I experienced some difficulty in peeing though I was still able to go to the toilet and had no incontinence until the day of the operation.

I called the doctor after a week of this and he said if I wasn't incontinent, there was no need to worry about CES. I later learnt that once you are incontinent with CES, your prognosis for recovering nerve function is significantly worse. I was in the pre-stages of urinary retention, which he didn't seem to think was at all related. He said the leg weakness was most likely muscle wasting from the sciatica (which I thought odd - my muscles looked and were behaving perfectly normally) and that if I felt coldness, not pins and needles in my saddle area, it did not sound like CES (which I'd heard about after typing my symptoms into Google and finding that unanimously, they came up).

A week later I got another doctor's appointment as my leg weakness and inability to pee were getting worse. This time I saw a different doctor who instantly realised what the problem was, tested the sensation in my saddle area which was worryingly absent (it's horribly easy not to notice that bits of you are going numb) and sent me straight to A&E. After various tests and an MRI I was diagnosed with CES with a very large disc herniation at L4-L5 and was operated on that night.

After the surgery the leg pain and weakness resolved instantly. When the nurses removed my catheter though I couldn't pee and couldn't feel anything much in my genital area. I was utterly terrified that I might have ruined my sex life and lost the ability to pee normally. They sent me home with a tap catheter to try and remind my body of what it should be doing.

A couple of weeks later I was lying in bed and suddenly felt a wave of feeling in my saddle area, as if all my nerve endings were suddenly alert. It was the most wonderful feeling as I knew it meant that my nerves were repairing and that I hadn't lost sensation here. I could feel that I needed to pee, which was also wonderful. The catheter came out soon after and I could pee normally most of the time, with a slight delay at other times.

It's now a year later. I'm often in pain with my back still. I've had several episodes where CES symptoms have come back and I've been MRIed again, showing that whenever any disc of mine in that area slightly bulges out, the nerves damaged by the first herniation go on the blink again, but with time the numbness goes away again, though it's always nerve-wracking. I pee normally most of the time but am still seeing a neuro-urologist at times to assist with this. I've currently got sciatica for the first time since prior my operation which is worrying, but I'm keeping an eye on it and will contact my brilliant consultant if it doesn't go away after a month or so, or obviously if I develop any more worrying symptoms.

The point of this essay is really to explain what happened to me, as when I got the syndrome I couldn't find details of another case quite like mine online. I hope this might be helpful to someone who is worried their nerves won't repair, because there is often hope that they will - when I was in hospital, the doctors kept telling me my nerves wouldn't get better as I had had pressure on them for longer than 48 hours - in fact 3 weeks! But they still did, so there is hope.

The other point of this story is that I needn't have ever developed this distressing syndrome had my back problems been taken seriously by my GPs. The other day I went back to the GP to get their advice about this new episode of sciatica and they said "Let's wait and see how it turns out." I think in this instance they're probably right - it probably will wear off with painkillers and physiotherapy. But this is exactly the same advice they gave me a year ago prior to my operation. If my GP had ordered a scan after my disc first slipped, or after my sciatica first started, my consultant says they would have straight away seen that I would need surgery as the herniation was too big to ever repair by itself. But they didn't think it was a big deal, and I don't like to be pushy.

And as a result of their inattention and delay I developed CES and now have permanent nerve damage.

I understand that back pain is a fact of life for many, and it looks like I'm going to be one of them. I also understand that in the vast majority of cases, slipped discs and sciatica go away by themselves. But it seems to me that whenever there is the chance of some underlying pathology that will lead to outcomes like (or worse than) mine, GPs should err vastly on the side of caution.

27 likes, 319 replies

319 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi my name is Karen i also have CES. I have just got out of the hospital and iam not sure about alot of things. I have lost feeling in my left foot leg and buttocks and private areas.It has damaged my bowels and blatter, The Drs said because of the 5 days i had it ...it has done the damage is it possible it will come back ? Plz someone reply iam so scared .
    • Posted

It is very frightening I am four months now recovering after surgery for ces .. Only just back able to walk a bit I'm very off balance have back and leg pain and no control for toliet ..., I'm taking neuropentin and tramodol for pain relief ... I was left for four month screaming in the most agonising pain I thought my body would shut down with it... I'm now starting to try and come to terms with loss of feeling in bum left leg and foot and having no control over toliet issues .. Have been very depressed and my life has changed dramatically ... Glad to have found this site for other peoples advice and experiences xxx
    • Posted

I know the back and leg pains are worse then before the operation. My op took 8 hours my discs had stuck together. Broke off and had wedge and pieced a thing call the ther sack can't spell it. They told me the nerves had been crushed. And I would not walk or poo and wee. I do walk but my right side the leg goes dead without warning when I stand. All who suffer ces have the same pains. I have slow release morphine progablin 300mg twice a day nortriplin 150mg evening time more morphine and when needed fast release morphine under the tongue. All that does help. Plus codmol. I first had a surpubic catherter but 18months had so many infection in was a relief when I had the ileal conduit urstomy. They left my bladder in for sex reason but I can't feel that area so made know difference. I was ill for month as the bladder when septic that was a big op I had the top doctors doing that.got vip. This will be it with operations. My last mri scan shows a lot more problems but due to the osteoarthritis in the spine they want to leave it till the have to do it.
    • Posted

You must try other drugs it's hit and miss. I have know side effects from this lot I take I have trazodone for night sleep. I stay awake till late but don't get up before 9. I have cares my daughter and son law. Have a sitting room on the 3rd floor with a store room and computer room. I don't need them much as I have a bedroom down stairs a shower room and toilet.. As I have the stomas I don't have to get up for a wee. I don't poo when I am asleep. But that happens when it wants. If ur control as been lost u will end up with theses. I did not get a choice, I was very rarely ill before this. I miss my old life I had money I went to work for my retirement I was going to retire when I was 55. Still I have a big family my 4 daughters are good. It was so much money and after 5 years of preparing for court it was my experts all top medical people. And a good solicitor and barrister. I wrote letters of complaint 1st to the hospital and the urology doctors in the private hospital then I got my house insurance that had legal cover I filled out the forms they thought I had something to complain about. I had the 1st 3 medicals then we had a big meeting. Video link with the 2 medical men that could not attend before we start I had medical with a back trauma doctor and a neurological surgeon. Before we started the barrister said that by the end. Of the meeting if we can't make a case that would end their. But the urology expert was so damping of the urology doctor he did not spot the red flags. His treatment was bad. And the expert in AE workings he was good. So they decided to go on 2 fronts. The hospital came out the blue they were good they even paid my costs as I walk away from the other claim. The settled with me and to the urology doctor to court to recover half the money from him.
    • Posted

Goodness what a hell of a time you have had 😔😔😔.... My bladder is emptying so it's not so bad for me but they think it will at times not empty and I'll get infections like your saying and that's why they are on my back about catheta etc but I'm not ready to accept these things at all..,,, my friend I net in hospital has had same as you infection after infection in her bladder that her catheta is full of blood all the time it's just terrible ..... Your a very strong man to have house through all this xx.... Hope they get the bleeding sorted for you as that must be very concerning xxx
    • Posted

So upsetting all that stress you have been through.... I can imagine how much money it cost you awful .... I was same had worked my full life never at doctors never asked anyone for anything or help was so Independent ... Now I'm constantly at docs consultants or urology or pyshio .. Need to ask my mum for help every day .. Not even been allowed to drive since all this started if I could drive I would be slightly happier .... I'm probably going to have sell my wee flat and get a council house as struggling with morgage etc it just seems t destroy and gave a knock on effect with your full life well I ain't got a life now lol ...., your a brave brave guy all that's happened I couldn't cope with what you have had to is crumble .... No have no feeling at all for loo just basically spend my life sitting I. The loo trying .... Thinkng to get a TV In The toilet 🙈..... Xxxxx
    • Posted

I did watch TV on the loo on the mobile I sat for ages trying to poo. Once they diffently knew the nerve to the poo and weeing. Was no long working I was in straight away for the colostomy . The when the in recovered from that in went into guys londen they construct the we stoma using part of ur small intestine. Then I was ill they found the bladder they left in was septic. That was a big op for me depression bad. Now these bloody hernias the ones I have now are a long the thick scar tissue and 1 under the colostomy area. I had one big one last time and after the op in hospital the pain I had my own room I laid on my bed in agony. Till a doctor put me on a form of kat mine. On the 12th it happen again take a year to get back to strength.
    • Posted

Sounds horrendous what you have suffered no wonder it caused depression .., xxxxx think I'll sit right choosing to mostly blank it out my head .., gp ,district nurse urogly .consutlant and a professor all telling me to face facts 😔.... You must be a very strong man to have faced all that you have went through xx
    • Posted

Neuro physio is best. Cage ur drugs that helps why can't u drive I drive a automatic my right leg is weak when I stand when I sit it pins and needles. I have teacher my self to master the pain I am in bed now I have pains in my feet feels like I am running over a pebble beach. My back hurt s more today as I have been in the car. I won't give in I walk but stop often but it does strengthen u up.you must try I am luck I was given ill health so I have money. But the 1st year was hard. Try. it is hard the back pain going down ur. Legs I know try otherwise ur go under. I nearly gave up but I mastered it ces established that what the wrote .
    • Posted

I don't know why I'm at my wits end with gp .. My car is a bloody automatic that's what I don't understand I don't even need my left leg to drive ... Bursting my brain paying for a car every month that's just sat there for a year ... To go now to dvla for a test or something surely they have to say I can drive ... I gave been in bed all day too back sore and left leg giving the electric shocks out today ..., got my meds mostly under control now ... Xxxxxxx
  • Posted

Hi Karen, I have lived with CES for over 2 years and I also work for the Cauda Equina Syndrome UK Charity to support sufferers and raise awareness. Please try not to be scared, you are not alone. We have a site where you can register and speak to other people with CES at www.caudaequinauk.com or you can send me a message with your contact details and I can call you. That goes for anyone on here who is concerned or just wants to have a chat about ces. It usually much easier to chat over the phone as CES can be so complicated it's hard to discuss in depth and hopefully we can advise you in more detail.

Kind Regards

Emmax

• Posted

Hi Emma this has been wonderful for me to read I'm not alone so glad I found this site x
    • Posted

Hi Emma your website sounds fantastic it is a very a hard thing to cope with ces and I'm very down about it all 😔xx
    • Posted

Thanks Emma that's very kind of you sounds like you do a fab job 😄💖
    • Posted

Hi Emma I am having problems signing up to join. Xx Joyce

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.