My experience of Cauda Equina Syndrome

Posted , 103 users are following.

I thought I'd post about my experience of Cauda Equina Syndrome (CES) in case it's of any use to anyone. I'm a 30-year-old woman.

In spring 2010 my lower back suddenly became painful. It didn't get better. Over the summer I tried various things - painkillers, the chiropractor, the gym, swimming, pilates - but found nothing gave lasting relief. Towards the year end my back became increasingly stiff and sore and one evening before Christmas I fell on the snow and felt a disc slip in my back.

Instantly I was in agony. The doctor seemed to think my level of pain was pretty standard and put me on Voltarol. I carried on with work with out pain but feeling electric shock sensations down my legs every so often. When I came off the Voltarol a week later, I had the most excruciating sciatica and was almost crawling up the walls with pain. I was put back on painkillers and told repeatedly by several very kind, but essentially uninterested doctors that the sciatica would likely wear off.

After about 3 weeks I had upped my dosage of painkillers (dangerously, I later found out) to cope with the pain. My GP told me that no investigation of sciatica was warranted until I had had it for at least 6 weeks. After 4 weeks I started to have difficulty walking. After about 50 yards I would need to crouch down to get the feeling back in my legs so I could continue moving. My feet would point in odd directions sometimes, as if I had a disability. When I lay down, a feeling of coldness would fill my bottom area. I experienced some difficulty in peeing though I was still able to go to the toilet and had no incontinence until the day of the operation.

I called the doctor after a week of this and he said if I wasn't incontinent, there was no need to worry about CES. I later learnt that once you are incontinent with CES, your prognosis for recovering nerve function is significantly worse. I was in the pre-stages of urinary retention, which he didn't seem to think was at all related. He said the leg weakness was most likely muscle wasting from the sciatica (which I thought odd - my muscles looked and were behaving perfectly normally) and that if I felt coldness, not pins and needles in my saddle area, it did not sound like CES (which I'd heard about after typing my symptoms into Google and finding that unanimously, they came up).

A week later I got another doctor's appointment as my leg weakness and inability to pee were getting worse. This time I saw a different doctor who instantly realised what the problem was, tested the sensation in my saddle area which was worryingly absent (it's horribly easy not to notice that bits of you are going numb) and sent me straight to A&E. After various tests and an MRI I was diagnosed with CES with a very large disc herniation at L4-L5 and was operated on that night.

After the surgery the leg pain and weakness resolved instantly. When the nurses removed my catheter though I couldn't pee and couldn't feel anything much in my genital area. I was utterly terrified that I might have ruined my sex life and lost the ability to pee normally. They sent me home with a tap catheter to try and remind my body of what it should be doing.

A couple of weeks later I was lying in bed and suddenly felt a wave of feeling in my saddle area, as if all my nerve endings were suddenly alert. It was the most wonderful feeling as I knew it meant that my nerves were repairing and that I hadn't lost sensation here. I could feel that I needed to pee, which was also wonderful. The catheter came out soon after and I could pee normally most of the time, with a slight delay at other times.

It's now a year later. I'm often in pain with my back still. I've had several episodes where CES symptoms have come back and I've been MRIed again, showing that whenever any disc of mine in that area slightly bulges out, the nerves damaged by the first herniation go on the blink again, but with time the numbness goes away again, though it's always nerve-wracking. I pee normally most of the time but am still seeing a neuro-urologist at times to assist with this. I've currently got sciatica for the first time since prior my operation which is worrying, but I'm keeping an eye on it and will contact my brilliant consultant if it doesn't go away after a month or so, or obviously if I develop any more worrying symptoms.

The point of this essay is really to explain what happened to me, as when I got the syndrome I couldn't find details of another case quite like mine online. I hope this might be helpful to someone who is worried their nerves won't repair, because there is often hope that they will - when I was in hospital, the doctors kept telling me my nerves wouldn't get better as I had had pressure on them for longer than 48 hours - in fact 3 weeks! But they still did, so there is hope.

The other point of this story is that I needn't have ever developed this distressing syndrome had my back problems been taken seriously by my GPs. The other day I went back to the GP to get their advice about this new episode of sciatica and they said "Let's wait and see how it turns out." I think in this instance they're probably right - it probably will wear off with painkillers and physiotherapy. But this is exactly the same advice they gave me a year ago prior to my operation. If my GP had ordered a scan after my disc first slipped, or after my sciatica first started, my consultant says they would have straight away seen that I would need surgery as the herniation was too big to ever repair by itself. But they didn't think it was a big deal, and I don't like to be pushy.

And as a result of their inattention and delay I developed CES and now have permanent nerve damage.

I understand that back pain is a fact of life for many, and it looks like I'm going to be one of them. I also understand that in the vast majority of cases, slipped discs and sciatica go away by themselves. But it seems to me that whenever there is the chance of some underlying pathology that will lead to outcomes like (or worse than) mine, GPs should err vastly on the side of caution.

27 likes, 319 replies

319 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Emma,

I have removed the phone number and email address as these are available from your web site. Users can send you a message directly by using the Message button under your name if they wish to send you their details.

I will also ask for your site to be added to our support directory here https://patient.info/selfhelp/c.htm.

Regards,

Alan

Emis Moderator

• Posted

Hi Everyone, i have been sat here reading all the posts and feel alot better but still kind of worried. I have had 2 prolapsed discs for aprox 8 years, the past two years have been quite hard with the frequent spasms and sciatica, i fell in sep and was layed on the kitchen floor for over two hours, since then the pain has been constant, from my hips to my feet and to cough or sneeze is a definite no no ive been back to the doc and the sensation in my right foot has neally gone and as for sleeping i must get 2 maybe 3 hrs a night, the doc examined me the other day and sent me straight to the hospital i was there for 9 hrs (8 of these was sat waiting) it got to late for the mri so i was sent home and have to wait for a letter to go back, i told the doc that i have had two accidents in the toilet dept where i didnt even know i had been, im at the end of my tether, im so fed up of being in pain, i have lost two jobs and maybe will lose a third as im of sick again, im struggling to drive, im 46 and feel 90. has anyone any advise of what i should say when i go back for the mri because at the hospital the other day they was so rough and pushy they just kept saying everything was normall and i know its far from normal.. sad
  • Posted

CES can present with one, or with a combination, of the following red flag symptoms. The more common symptoms tend to develop suddenly and often rapidly worsen, within hours or days, in other cases though symptoms can develop gradually.

Saddle Anaesthesia:

Loss of feeling between the legs

Numbness in or around back passage and/or genitals

Bladder Disturbance:

Inability to urinate or difficulty initiating urination

Loss of sensation when passing urine

Inability to stop or control urination

Loss of the full bladder sensation

Bowel Disturbance:

Inability to stop a bowel movement

Constipation

Loss of sensation when passing a bowel movement

Sexual Problems:

Inability to achieve an erection or ejaculate

Loss of sensation during intercourse

Nerve Root Pain:

It is quite common to have a combination of back pain, leg pain, leg numbness & weakness. However, these symptoms are also common in people who have a history of back problems but do not necessarily have Cauda Equina Syndrome.

If you have any combination of the above it may be CES and urgent treatment is needed - go back to A&E and show then that you understand the Red Flags of CES - and also be aware that CES does not always show up on an MRI. The fact that you are having bladder issues is the key thing here, pain on it's own generally doesn't mean CES but the bladder problems are an indicator so make sure they are aware of this - also if you are having any numbness around the anus/genital area, this is a significant sign.

You can always call us at the charity on the link above if you'd like to talk it through.

Regards

Emma

• Posted

hi emma i am lookng to get  some information i am hoping you can me. my husband and ces back in april2014 his bladder is working  with some discomfort passing it he also has trouble with his bowel but is able to go wiith using senicot. my big concern is he can walk with a walker easly but when try to walk on his own he has trouble movinghe also tends to fall everyone once an awhile did you experience any of these problems and did it get better in time i would appreciate it if you would email me back thanks
    • Posted

I have had back problems for a while now. Few days ago the pain bad started to get bad. I woke up numb in my legs and can not walk with out the help from my boyfriend otherwise i will fall. I went to my local emergency dept yesterday. After spending all day there they gave me a cat scan and some medicine. I peed a few times before i went to the ED yesterday. I did not go pee at well there. When i got home i felt like i had to pee. It was like an urge sensation to have to pee really bad. I have tried 3 or 4 times with no luck. But the urge hardly goes away. I'm so nervous and do not know what to do. It has never got this bad before. What should i do? I don't want to go to the ED and they just keep sending me home. I don't want this to be permenate. I'm only 28 yrs old. I have no children and would love to have at least one someday soon. I was trying to wait till i was better before we started to try. Any advice or info would be so much appreciated. Thank you in advance.
    • Posted

Hi there I am so sorry your in such a state of pain and worry ... You will have to go to emergency department again and tell them your sensation has changed and you are unable to pee this is very important and a red flag symptoms in cuada equina syndrome you will have to go back and hope and pray they listen to you if they fail demand another opinion and I keep going back till they help you please it's very important ... If your leg pain is worse than back pain I know this can get you seem to quicker it's a sad state of affairs but u fortunate that this is the case they send you home leaving you debilitating pain ... I was left till too late by which time I was paralysed and it took me over a year to walk again so please keep at them the sooner your seem to the better ... Xxx
    • Posted

Is there a test for this besides mri
    • Posted

Hi Emma-

My neurosurgeon diagnosed me with a tumor in my cauda equina about 1 year ago. I have sudden and severe tailbone bone so stared some tests. I took the surgeons advise and decide to have him MRI me again in 4 months to check to growth of the tumor before we took action. He said my lowere back pain was not related the CES and more from a bulging disc. I failed to get my MRI 4 months later and continued to deal with lower back pain and tailbone issues. Over these past year I started having some urinalysis problems so went back and had my MRI. The Dr found that the tumor grew in size by only a tiny amount. He ordered me to see a neuro urologist for some tests. I had Sudden loss of urine and urgency to the point of peeing my pants. I did the urodinamics tests to see if I have nerve damage. Everything seemed to be fine and nerve damage not found but the Urologist stated that my symptoms match patients with CES and tumors. I have always had lower back pain but dealt with it. I have no current sexual distinctions or severe bladder or bowel issues other than what I meantoned. I am 38 years old and perfectly healthy. My surgeon proposed the resection of the tumor and I'm secheduled for it next week. I'm so very scared that this surgery is going to cause worse issues to my nerves and leave me permanently damaged. I feel like calling it off. I don't want my tumor to keep growing either and eventually causing problems down there.

My questions to you is: is resection of a tumor a good idea to prevent future CES issues or should the patient wait to elect the operation until they start losing sensations. That sounds bad and therefore I have decided to have the tumor removed with the hopes that I'm making the right choice. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

• Posted

Hi Karen,

I was in your shoes last Christmas. The important thing at your stage is to bear in mind that a lot of ces patients see significant nerve recovery within the first couple of years, it just takes time. Keep hopeful and cross each bridge as you come to it

Best wishes

• Posted

I am 6 months post surgery for CES in the USA. I was one of the lucky ones who was able to have it caught quickly, not without months of extreme pain and years of pain that preceded my diagnosis and surgery. I am 31 years old female (30 at time of surgery) and am so thankful my husband is very supportive of me and my condition. I still deal with pain, numbness (of which some has come back, or at least i have grown to be used to it) and remains in my groin area, some of my butt, back of my legs, calf and food of my left leg. I am in the process of trying to loose weight to make this all easier.

With my case they removed the entire disk leaving nothing there and not sure if that is common for this syndrome or not. My doctor was the best in my area and was lucky for that (and he is two hours away). The day of surgery, I went for an MRI to see what the problem was and was rushed two hours away to the best surgeon who knew the situation and knew exactly what was wrong. I have no fusion and only had some "blood matter" put in where the disk was, is anyone else familiar with this?

Unfortunately there is not a lot of information about this online and have found that most of the info is found from the UK making it a little more difficult to find some answers. My biggest battle now is that my husband and I want to have children within the next year and am not sure how that is going to effect my syndrome. I know that my pain level has decreased substantially and that i am fine with the numbness, am dealing with sex that is just not the same, fortunately i do have bowl and bladder control back now, but am concerned because we do want to have children of our own and not sure how this will integrate with us now.

Does anyone have any feed back or experience with this? Any advise? There is no one that can relate to me with this around here and will be mention it to my doctor the next time I see him. Thank you for everyone's feedback.

• Posted

Hi shawng, I just wana ask you how long did it take to have your bowel and bladder to be back in control after operation? Which comes in control first the bowel or bladder? Thanks in advance..
    • Posted

My bladder and bowel did not work well 3 and a half years later. I had a permanent clostomy. The mid July 2012 I had a ieal conduit and had a urostomy bag. They left the bladder in then at to remove it in the December. I have suffered 3 more big operation because of bad hernias and I had a clostomy revision. As the site had gone sore and bad. I have amenia as well now. I hope u get it all back. I had full compression of the spine. Which was left for 6 days after 5 days the hospital did a mri scan it the middle of the night I was taken on blue lights to kings hospital where a Nero surgery team waited. The scan was sent to them as a routine thing. I sued and won medical negligence. As far as I know I have the most established Cauda equine syndrome in Europe.
    • Posted

Last week I went to a pain clinic at St to mas hospital London. The pain doctor had said he had read my case history. He knows I am in extreme pain. He as offered a new treatment another risk operation. I have to go to have sociological and physiotherapy report over 2 weeks staying in the hotel next door. If I am suitable which I will be. Pain from nerves are sent to the brain by electrical pulses. They want to put a small disc in the back with batteries this will destruct the signal. Which should lessen or stop the pain. That will end the tablet taking or lesson the amounts. This is not done unless u are a good candidate. As the cost to nhs England is 25 thousand pounds. I will try any thing for this pain to lessen or stop. I have to try even though it means major surgery on the back again.
    • Posted

Wow I hope everything will be alright. Thanks for sharing.. God Bless us..
    • Posted

Yes I say that God bless us. Keep on to of ur doctors I have. Lucky the guys and St to mas hospital trust are a good nhs trust.

I am never with out pain but I keep going.

• Posted

Am sorry to say a long birth caused my ces and was made 1000 times worse because of ir buthe having said that I have had 6 ops now so everyone is different hun
    • Posted

Hello!! I'm a fellow American who is brand new to this, looking for support!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.