My experience of DHC - It's the reason I'm able to work...

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been taking 6-8 30mg tablets a day for the past 6 months since being diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I was first prescribed Tramadol, which had little effect, so my GP switched me to DHC.

As with all prescription drugs, there can be side effects. They sometimes make me feel light headed, and they do make concentration more difficult, though not impossible. However, the positives far outweigh the negatives. DHC has allowed me to carry on with my job by dulling the pain I experience sufficiently. It does not get rid of it completely - to do that would require a far higher dose with more severe side effects.

Codeine is an addictive substance if abused. When my pain is bad, I take it. When it's not, I don't. I don't treat it as a lifestyle drug, unlike others I've encountered - you should use it only when you need to, not when you feel like it. If you follow these rules, it can be a life saver.

Again, as with all drugs, some people have bad reactions to it. DHC is a strong painkiller, and does cause adverse reactions in some people. If this is you, stop taking it and ask your GP for something else - that's what I did with Tramadol.

Don't be frightened by the scare stories you may read - if you have a genuine need for DHC, it can mean the difference between an acceptable quality of life and no quality of life. For that, I am more than willing to put up with the side effects.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Thank you Ash for that info.

My son is on DHY and I must say I was worried about hime taking it.

It is making him very sleepy at the moment but perhaps as it gets into his system this will get better.

The other thing that dose worry me is that I have read it should not be taken by people that suffer from Epilepsy and my son has it although controlled by drugs. The doctor must know this so I guess it isa ok to take them.

Thanks again

Helen

• Posted

[quote:c6eda91426=\"Ash \"]I have been taking 6-8 30mg tablets a day for the past 6 months since being diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I was first prescribed Tramadol, which had little effect, so my GP switched me to DHC.

As with all prescription drugs, there can be side effects. They sometimes make me feel light headed, and they do make concentration more difficult, though not impossible. However, the positives far outweigh the negatives. DHC has allowed me to carry on with my job by dulling the pain I experience sufficiently. It does not get rid of it completely - to do that would require a far higher dose with more severe side effects.

Codeine is an addictive substance if abused. When my pain is bad, I take it. When it's not, I don't. I don't treat it as a lifestyle drug, unlike others I've encountered - you should use it only when you need to, not when you feel like it. If you follow these rules, it can be a life saver.

Again, as with all drugs, some people have bad reactions to it. DHC is a strong painkiller, and does cause adverse reactions in some people. If this is you, stop taking it and ask your GP for something else - that's what I did with Tramadol.

Don't be frightened by the scare stories you may read - if you have a genuine need for DHC, it can mean the difference between an acceptable quality of life and no quality of life. For that, I am more than willing to put up with the side effects.[/quote:c6eda91426]

I totally agree. I have osteo arthritis and am in constant back pain which has been getting worse lately. It takes me an hour to get moving in the morning. Took Solpadol which had no effect at all, so went to GP to ask his advice as I too am scared of getting addicted. He said to take 2 Dihydrocodeine 30 mg at night, then in the morning to take co-dydramol if I needed to, or even paracetamol if I felt I could manage the lower dose. The way he put it, I don't take enough to get addicted anyway, as I'm very aware of the risks, but I have to weigh this against the level of pain I'm in. No contest I'm afraid. I'm only taking 3 tabs a day of dihydrocodeine and the rest is a lesser dose. It's the difference between quality of life and a life of pain but you do need to be aware of the risks of the higher, longer term doses.

• Posted

All you good folks I hear what you are saying low controlled dose etc etc ...i was just the same please believe me these little blighters will snare you in their trap and make you suffer in the end , i have just got through 3 weeks of withydrawls after taking 3 x 30mg per day at last i feel

human again and able to cope with life ...please read the other experiences and not just the bits you want to see ands hear ..been there done that , REGRET IT ....there is a better way DHC causes more probs than it solves

• Posted

Hi Folks, Ash has a point saying that if one drug upsets visit the Doctor and ask to try another, seems reasonable. Unfortunately, the part about taking the drug only when the pain is really bad. If you suffer real constant nagging pain every minute of the day it does not work. These pills and similar Analgesics must be taken every 4-6 hours, depending the intensity of the pain. Once you get the pain quelled you can then tailor your drug to the way thats best for you. Taking willy nilly is no good as the good work the first dose has done is lost as the next dose should have been followed up 4 hours later, thus maintaining the required pain relief.

I have suffered pain all my life and thought Oh! I'm going to be addicted and tried to stop the drug, what I didn't know at the time, it was going to be with me for life. So if I become addicted so what at least I'm relatively pain free, without medication; perish the thought.

I honestly cope as I take the drug properly and treat the whole thing as a necessity I desperately need.

Hope this helps, all the best. Ron.

• Posted

This is a nasty, nasty, nasty, mind controlling drug!!

I first took it for severe arthritis and all was ok. I have an allergy (fits) to other medication e.g tramadol.

So DHC was prescribed; I do not blame my GP; she was following medical advice & protocol but it is a bad white pill!

Starting on 8 x 30mg a day, I soon (through repeat prescription, without any real checks) moved up to 30 x 30mg a day!!

It all came to a head 2 years later and the withdrawal was simply awful; I wish this pain on no-one. My Gp was kind, caring and guided me through it but it is a bad medicine for those with an addictive personality. I didn't think this was me but the addiction to corn beef sandwiches has now taken over. I guess we are born who we are! Rather an addictin to good stuff rather than bad!

We can blame whom we want but the drug is bad; GPs can over prescribe; people can become addicted.

If you can stop.. please do or at least speak to your GP. They are good and will help!

Love to you all suffering as I have! I hope for the best for you xx

• Posted

Hi all,

I agree with sam and 'someone' about the addictiveness of DHC, I suffer from ehlers danlos syndrome (which causes joint dislocation and pain without trama) I have been taking DHC for about 3 yrs and the side affects have stopped me from driving, looking after my kids and anything else that requires attention. I also get cronic constipation and diabolical wind. I did try and stop taking them once..........my wife nearlly divorced me because of my temper and mood swings. I went to the GP's for help and advice and he told me I had two options, take the DHC or be in pain. He did prescribe Citalopram to help with the depresion and senna for the constipation but left me with no doubt that I was 'on' these little white devils for life. If you have severe, constant pain you don't have much of a choice about whether you do or don't take them. I think that whichever type of pain relief you take (at this level) they are going to have a long term affect and be addictive in some way. I feel that in my situation I don't have any real choice, if I don't take them then my life wouldn't be worth living (literally) and if I do then my life is very different from what it was BUT I still get to see my kids grow up and have the love and support of my wonderfully caring and loving wife. No choice really I take them religeously Morning noon and night but only the prescribed amount and never any more (or less).

Hope my experience can help in some way and good luck to all.

Ian

• Posted

Hi Helen, I would still ask the doctor about this. Doctors sometimes make the most simple mistakes, particulaly when they are busy, overworked or stressed whatever. Then again some doctors I wouldn't let near my dog.

Its your call, as gp's won't remember who you are and what your conditions are, they can't they see far to many people everyday with so many different ailments. I'm sure your doctor won't be upset if you simply ask for clarification about this and its so much better than your son having a bad reaction to them.

Good luck....Ian

• Posted

I fully agree with you BigIan. DHC make my life bearable. I have hip and back pain which would render me immobile if I didn't take DHC and Diclofenac. I still work part time and have a quality of life where I can still go on holiday and feel normal. I take 5x30mg DHC per day and have done for nearly 20 years. You do what you gotta do to ease pain life isn't worth living. Good luck to you.
  • Posted

I've been taking 16-20 a day and i've just run out and can't get any more , what do i do?
  • Posted

16-20 a day is insane these tablets cause water retention and when i took 6 in 1 go the pain i had in my head the next day was excruciating, to lessen the withdrawal if you've really been taking that many the only stuff you can get without a script would be co-codamol there 8mg dhc with 500 paracetamol but it's still a bad idea, or pholcodeine cough syrup might help
  • Posted

Funnily enough something that really helps with the constipation is cholrella or spirulina they're blue green algae and green algae
  • Posted

[quote:1ad2015605=\"Anonymous\"]I've been taking 16-20 a day and i've just run out and can't get any more , what do i do?[/quote:1ad2015605]

Come clean with your GP and see if he will prescribe something to wean you off opiates slowly. If he says no change your GP and ask again.

If you genuinely want to get off a good GP will want to help. I had a habit this bad once and manged to get it down to 2 a day over two or three months dradually reducing the dose. Not too painful. As a last resort you can take nurofen and parecetomol together so if you take 2 nurofen plus and 2 paramol you will be taking the equivalent of almost 30mg DHC in terms of opiate potency. Not a great idea though both in expense and healh as you can OD on the paracetomol and nurofen can damage your kidneys if you take too much. If you go cold turkey get some valium so you can sleep through the worst of the withdrawal. Both these latter two options are last resorts. Also keeping busy helps keep your mind off the discomfort and exercise will trigger off your natural opiates (endorphins) which will help.

• Posted

Hi... just been reading these posts and felt I had to write !... I suffer with Fibromyalgia and Osteoarthritis...I'm 45 and started to take DHC a year ago as all other meds didn't touch the daily/constant pain I get.

I went to my GP this morning as I seem to be needing more... and he has said that I am ok to take upto 20 (30mg) a day if thats helping me, plus I take Solpadol (30mg500mg paracetamol) and 2 long release dihydrocodeine30mg each at night !!!!

Now to me this sounds an awful lot and it does worry me, however, my GP who is very well established and a great professional has told me not to worry as he has patients on higher doses than this !!!!!!

I do get concerned, but at the same time, it does help me through day to day and I am prepared to take these for the rest of my life if this pain continues, however, i hate the sound of withdrawals from what I've read !

Always talk to your GP and be honest about how many of these you need to take each day... you may be surprised at their reaction and it does not mean you are addicted IF its helping with your pain levels.

Warm wishes to all.... J x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.