My Experience of Paroxetine tapering

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I started Paroxetine May 2015 after I reduced mirtazipine and a car accident left me needing ‘relief’

I started the antidepressant route in November 2012 for PTSD and Major Depression.

I am now tapering off for many reasons and wished to share my experience when tapering off.

I started at 40mg and reduced to 30mg in August 2017.

The main symptoms I noticed were:

Diarrhoea 

Tummy pain

Blurred vision

Headaches

Vivid dreams

They were a nuisance to begin with but have since become manageable/minimal.

Having been on 30mg for 2 months I have now gone down to 20mg.

My diarrhoea and tummy pain has eased but am now experiencing toothache! When I eat, it doesn’t hurt but the ache is a sensitive pain  all along my right upper and lower jaw.

I have googled about Paroxetine tapering and symptoms and this does appear.

I am seeing my dentist to have wisdom teeth removed so will ask for their opinion on my oral health.

I will leave comments on this discussion to update with my progress as I found it so hard finding people who experience these symptoms and want to help future taperers.

The anti depressants over the years have worked wonders on my mind but the weight gain (8 stone since 2013), obesity associated illnesses and the potential risks during pregnancy and feeling great in myself has led me to withdraw.

Please comment if you feel similar to my descriptions and I will post weekly/biweekly on my progress.

Thanks!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello Jilly. What you describe matches exactly with me. After quiting 40 mg of Paxil I had the dizziness, diarrhea + vivid dreams combo also lol. My build has always been more on the chubby side but im happy to say that taking 40mg of Paxil didn't make me obese. Now that being said everyone is different and age, gender and probably a few more factors determine what happens from person to person. I am not well informed how anti depresants effect pregnancy since I am male.

• Posted

Hi Jilly, 

I have been on 40mg for roughly four years. I tampered out over a period of maybe 6 months, by going from 40mg to 20mg and then from 10mg to 0mg. 

While I did experince slight nausea etc my worst feel is right now, when after exactly 2 months of being on it, the depression hits me. I feel completely lost for hope and lack of future. 

While I was on it I also gained 15kg in 2 years. I was a very athletic young male at 78kg when I started it, I am not an obese 26 y.o. male at 94kg. It doesnt help the depressive feeling you get after quitting it. 

I wish you all the best, and hope you wont go through what I am right now. 

• Posted

Hi Carl

I wish I’d seen ur post earlier, just so I could tell you it does get better. When I went cold turkey after 13 years!! It was ok but I remember , I felt the worst at 2 months!!. Thank god it didn’t last long. I’m now a year off seroxat and I’m proably more tearful (but there’s always a reason for the tears) I do lose it and get angry at times but I was like this well b4 the depression , so I think that’s just me 😂.I hope you are ok

Julie x

• Posted

Hi Jilly,

I am currently tapering also and have had really sore/stiff jaw, which likes yours causes my teeth to feel sensitive.

I had the upset tummy which seems to have lessened a bit but am not down to 7mg and have bad headache plus general body pain.

How are you doing?

• Posted

Hi everyone,

Thank you for sharing your experiences!

So as promised, I will update you:

1. Saw my dentist (need wisdom teeth out) and advised the sensitivity can be antidepressants since the drug affects the nervous system! The jaw pain is from clenching my jaw in anxious moments and from biting my nails! 

My muscles in my jaw are in spasm and can only think that this is due to weening off medication. I’m glad it’s nothing serious and that it’s just my anxiety (very mild) is causing me to jaw clench in the day and during the night!

2. I have had some good weeks now, my head has been less ‘foggy’ and have done really well at work getting all the work done before the Xmas break! I am still on 20mg and will be seeing my doctor for a review on Dec 28th with hopes of reducing to 10mg.

Perhaps one thing I would like to do is more exercise. I know it clears the mind and eases stress and have been hesitant as I can’t shift any weight whilst on these drugs but I hope to make use of my fit bit more in the new year when the food gorging is over and I’m on a lesser dose - and who knows what I will experience on the next taper!

I will keep you guys posted in a months time.

The side effects since my last post:

Headaches (nothing major)

Terrible dry mouth!

Incredibly weird dreams

Thanks x

• Posted

March 23rd 2018, I have now reduced my dose to 5mg a day for the next 2 months. I felt ready, when I reduced from 20mg to 10mg I did have 2 weeks of hell but I rode it out and it settled down. However, I am now reliving the nightmare. I did not feel much last week but now I am getting more headaches than usual and nausea (not pregnant) which is very uncomfortable. I suffered a terrible migraine yesterday which is rare but have had two in 5 days! Does not feel like brain zaps though. My teeth are also hurting again, something I have had throughout the whole tapering process.

I am continuing with the gym, having joined end of Jan, I go 3 to 4 times a week before work to try shift some of this awful weight and to calm my mood for work. I get frustrated/irritated quite easily which I know I don’t normally feel but I then get upset and become a bit emotional about it.

I will again, keep you posted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.