My experience of Rezum

Posted , 8 users are following.

I was diagnosed with an enlarged prostate two years ago. A cytoscopy revealed that the irritation I was experiencing was due to the formation of a bladder stone. I was recommended to have it remove and have a rezum treatment at the same time. I'm lucky to have wonderful urologist I totally trust so was happy to go along with it. I was warned before to expect worsening symptoms in the first week and not to expect any signs of improvement till week 3. I had a general for the procedure and as it was in Germany I had two days in hospital. I had no pain whatsoever from the treatment but did find the catheter uncomfortable at first - a bit like a constant need to void. The nurse said it would feel better by the evening and this was very true - 12 hours on it didn't bother me at all. Two days later the catheter came out but I had no flow at all so was sent home with a valve catheter - no bags needed. Before the procedure the idea of spending a week with a catheter in place would have been my worst nightmare but actually it wasn't bothersome at all. I'd forget it was there until went to the toilet. If you are worried about a catheter - don't! During the week I still experienced no pain or discomfort at all - continued to take my tamsulosin and an anti inflammatory. On day 7 the catheter was removed. At first the flow was a bit hit and miss but 12 hours on I had a weak but steady stream and scans showed my bladder was emptying sufficiently. I'm on day 10 now and each day the flow just gets a little better so I'm now at the point where toilet confidence is restored. My prostate hasn't started to shirk yet - this can take several weeks so I expect to see more improvement in the coming days. If you are looking for instant results then Rezum might not be for you but most of us have had problems for a long time so a couple of weeks of patience is well worth it.

On a side note - the first time I went to a urologist I was, like most men, very nervous about having to display parts normally private. I am now completely at ease with anything - funny how you just get used to things.

I'm happy to answer any questions from anyone thinking of having Rezum.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

What is the prostate size? Does the prostate have median lobe?

• Posted

It was 50ml - yes it does have a median lobe.

• Posted

Thanks for sharing...scheduled for Rezum on June 1 2022. I refused medication (symptoms are not severe). 1st Urologist I consulted with did not mention Rezum...recommended the RX and Urolift as possible option. Glad I found this forum and other online resources which enabled me to seek a 2nd Urologist who offers Rezum. They both recommended to start with RX but I viewed it as trading 1 problem (BPH symptoms) for another (side effects and possible toxicity).

• Posted

Hi Ron. How are you doing now, 6 months out? Happy with procedure?

• Posted

Hi, I'm happy to answer any questions you have. I had Rezum done in April 2022. Unfortunately it has not worked for me and I'm now seeking other treatment options.

• Posted

Sorry to hear that Doug. I am 5 weeks out from my Rezum process and am seeing slow but solid improvement, stopped all meds 3 days ago. I remain cautiously optimistic. I wish you success in getting rid of your BPH.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.