My experience of the Symfony Toric lens

Posted , 33 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

I have been short-sighted and astigmatic for most of my life. Finally cataracts meant an operation. Before the operation my myopia was -12.50 (right) and -11.00 (left), astigmatism -6 (right) and -4 (left). I agreed to have a Symphony Toric lens - ZXT375 - and this was inserted into my right eye four days ago.

My vision began to recover from the anaesthesia after a few hours. Other than a dull ache - which lasted no more than 24 hours, there has been little pain. I have been prescribed antibiotic and anti-inflammatory drops four times a day for the next month. 

I did not expect that this lens would allow me to read without glasses and (at the moment) it looks like my expectations will be proved right. I have previously experienced halos around car headlights and this is unchanged. In addition I can now see starbursts around some street lights.

I removed the right hand lens from my glasses after the surgery but, having worn them for a short time, found the distortion to be too great. Other than for reading, the vision in my right eye is so much better than it was when I was wearing glasses. For the first time in over 60 years I can walk around without them - though I have to be very careful about judging distances on my left.

The clarity, the light and the colours I experience with my enhanced right eye are nothing short of remarkable.

Will update this in about 10 days

2 likes, 214 replies

214 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I completed a post operative checkup several days ago. My vision is still excellent and near sight seems to be improving. As long as there is a sufficient level of daylight I can now read newsprint unaided. In some artificial light I do still need to use my (cheap) reading glasses. Intraocular pressure is normal in both eyes and I have stopped all anti-inflammatory and antibiotic drops.

On examination there was a slight indication of posterior capsule opacity (POC) in my right eye, but it does not currently effect my vision. This will be checked again in four months time. If it is POC it can be easily treated.

My eyesight was tested and I will report the results in a few days. It appears there may be a small degree of astigmatism remaining.

Starbursts are still an Issue, but may improve.

• Posted

A minor note, PCO is the usual acronym rather than POC, for those doing any searches. Even if distance vision is good in that eye, its still possible PCO reduced vision slightly, which could tip the balance for when you need glasses for near. 

When you report eyesight results, what is likely of most interest is the prescription, to see if your near vision is being reduced by being left slightly farsighted perhaps which seems likely. Your best corrected distance vision might also be of interest,  in case perhaps your vision at any distance is being reduced by your visual system having some other factor reducing it.

• Posted

please update me on your current vision since your post 2 months ago and also with hallow effects. thank you.
    • Posted

I have just completed a four month checkup (six months since the op on my right eye). I continue to manage pretty well without glasses, except in low light. An eye test shows no change in my vision compared with four months ago. There is slight capsular opacification behind both implants, which my surgeon thinks will need laser treatment within the next two years. It is possible that this might be having a small effect on my vision. I am sensitive to bright lights - which are sometimes surrounded by what looks a spiders web. This effect does not bother me and halos seem less significant than they were.

It is a real pleasure to be largely free of glasses after so many years.

• Posted

Apologies for error. Posterior capsule opacity is also known as PCO.

The results of the eye test are as follows: I can see 6/6 unaided with the right eye and 6/7.5 with the left. The left eye has better near vision and I can read N5 using both eyes. With correction for slight residual astigmatism in the left, acuity is measured as 0.04 (LogMAR chart), 6/6+2. (I am not entirely sure what these readings mean)

I am also checking my peripheral visual fields regularly due to the slightly increased risk of detached retina given my previous level of shortsightedness.

• Posted

All those readings are measures of visual acuity. Since they moderate links, I'd suggest just doing things like searches for "logMar chart" to see conversions between logMar and other metrics. At the moment if you google:

"visual acuity conversion chart" "civil aviation authority"

You turn up a chart indicating that N5 is a metric of near visual acuity which is the equivalent at 40cm of 20/30 or 6/9 quality vision.   If you google:

"The following is a list of environmental print that correlates to the acuity on a Near Vision Snellen Test Chart."

You'll see a couple of links that give examples of real world things that correspond to various near visual acuities, like that suprisingly 20/50 at near is good enough for small newprint. 

The 6/6+2 means that you read the 6/6 line, plus two letters from the line below indicating you are a bit better than 6/6, but not as good as the line below (which I didn't bother looking up, in the US I'm used to 20/20 type charts so I don't know offhand what is below 6/6).

• Posted

If you google: logmar calculator

you can get an exact conversion for logMar and 0.04 is 20/21.9

• Posted

hello, i have read this entire thread.  I would love updates from all the participents on their Symphony implants as to near, intramediate and far sharpnes of vision and also hallos since it has been a number of months since their implants.   I just had my first implant two weeks ago.  Vision was very blury first week, then improved a great deal the next few days but now at a stand still.  The only drawback to implant the surgon mentioned was possible hallows and that he would choose a model that was good for near vision at arms length, mentioning that beyond that it might be a bit blury but that further intramediate and far would be good.  I was upset about the blury vision and at the 8 day follow up for the first time he told me that my vision with implant will never be as good as glasses.  What! He never mentioned that before. Yes, then he went into it would get better with time and brain compenstation etc.  I went home and called the manufactor and gave them the model number and was told that it was a Tecnis, not a Symphony. WHAT!  I called the large practice and told them what I had just learned and they assured me they only order Symphony lens.  So I had my regular optomerist call the surgon and surgon said his group  (20 doctors) had stopped using the Symphony lens due to number of patient complaints, and reverted back to Tecnis.  On my first visit they had given me a brochure on Symphony lens, so I naturally assumed that was what i was getting and what I had researched.  Not at all happy.  I then went to see a 2nd surgon at another practice.  He only uses Symphony on his patients.  He advised me it would be ok to put Symphony in other eye or the longer range Tecnis so that my viewing computer would be clearer because right now my sweet spot for close vision with left IOL is 16 inches.  My current IOL in left eye is a Tecnis ZLB00.  So now I canceled my surgery for 2nd eye till I can get some answers.  Surgon wants to meet with me in two days to discuss IOLs. I am now trying to gather as much info as I can so I can make correct decision on which to put in other eye.  Any imput would be appreciated.  Oh one reason I may be pickly about focus is my vision was good before surgery, I had fast growing cataracts but my issue was only night driving.
    • Posted

Bruce,

I have had the Tecnis Symfony lens installed in both eyes. I am having no trouble with any distances from 8" to as far out as I can see, probably 1/2 mile. I am pleased. It has now been about 3 months since my first insertion.

• Posted

Hi Bruce, It sounds like there is some confusion about the name of the lenses. Tecnis make a range of lenses of which Symfony Toric is one and it is these lenses which were implanted in me.

My eyesight has changed very little over the last two months and I remain very happy with the results. It seems to me that my near sight is very dependent on bright light to be able read small print (e.g. newsprint), but is otherwise perfectly normal. Halos around bright lights and starbursts continue, but I rarely drive at night and feel the benefits of being free of glasses after more than 60 years outweigh these disadvantages.

• Posted

Thank you for responding. I know you said you were not having trouble with close vision, but can you please tell me if over time have the letters when reading become as sharp as they were before surgery when you wore glasses? Do you see hallows at night? Thank you.
    • Posted

You are correct, I should have been more specific. They implanted a multifocal Tecnis ZLB00 instead of the Symfony.
    • Posted

My vision is better than when I had glasses.  I needed my glasses updated,  but because I was getting my cataracts taken out, I wasn't about to invest in more glasses.

I have only had the Symfony Lens for a few months... since February,  and because my surgeon had to go back in to remove astigmatism,  the healing is still going on.  I don't need glasses,  and my vision is very clear.  I have a small amount of glare,  depending on how the light comes into my eyes I guess.  I don't use fancy terms, just plain old english...  it is what it is.  I would do it all over again.  I love being able to see like I did in my teens.

• Posted

Hi Sharon - how is your night vision and driving with the Symfony lens? Do you have them implanted in both eyes?
    • Posted

My eyes are getting used to the lens.  I have Symfony Lens in both eyes.

The only lights that cause a problem are the bright white head lights,  the newer led lights that are on the newer cars.   But then, they bothered me before I had the surgery as well.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.