My experience on bisoprolol

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone,

New to the forums but I just wanted to share my experience on bisoprolol. Earlier this year I was having anxiety issues with alot of extrasystoles (i'm 39yo). (by alot I mean WTH is going down in there) To help and while testing my doctor put me on propanolol (didn't like the feeling) at first and after a few days and a visit to the emergency room the doctor changed my medication to bisoprolol (2.5 mg for a week if not better 5 mg). After bloodwork, EKG and a 48 hours holter I was diagnosed with only extrasystoles which is bening form of arrythmia which do not require medication. I was on bisoprolol for about 6 weeks and I had all kind of side effects.

• Labored breathing (not intense but enough to bother) (Not sure if this is related to this or I developped some kind of lung infection)
  • Coughing / grunting
  • Chest tightness at times
  • Bradycardia at some point ( < 50 bpm )
  • Dizziness when getting up
  • Feeled like crap while on the medication
  • Muscle pain
  • Maybe other side effects that I don't recall

So after talking to my doctor and pharmacist we decided to lower my dosage at first back to 2.5mg and a week after I stop taking the medication completely (quick form of tappering)

I was wondering how fast you recover from those side effects and how quick or long does it take for the medication to totally leave the body.

I`ve been reading some of your messages here on the forum and can relate and i'm kinda reassured.

Thanks.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Edited

Well 8th day of BB withdrawal. Things are getting better slowly. Not a patient guy for health related stuff and I'm getting kinda frustrated at time that things don't get better faster. I find doing simple stuff like getting up the stair or raking get me tired quickly or out of breath quickly than before my episode. This p*sses me because before xmas I was running on the treadmill. Trying not to force things by doing to much exercise too quickly. I see that even a few week of BB can drastically alter your body. Still getting extrasystoles every now and then (worst case once or twice a day) but that's kinda normal for me and I have to learn to live with them. Some people don't even know they got them and some like me can feel them happen. Feeling can differ from time to time. I can feel like on strong heartbeat or sometimes one skipped beat. I hate the second one. I'm a thin guy. I don't have weight issue as I exercise regularly and be somewhat careful of what I eat (still eat some junk food once a week).

I don't have too much anxiety at this point but backlash might come later. there might still be BB in my system.

Things that help with my withdrawal :

• Taking walks when the weather allows it.
    • 10 minutes meditation on youtube (10 minutes daily calm help for anxiety when there are)
    • Drinking Valerian Tea (help calming and lower BP) or Chamomile Tea. Word of advice Valerian stinks but it's not that bad. Might help people with sleeping problem as well and people with Bronchospasm.

Labored breathing seems to be gone if not almost at this point as well as most of the symptoms I had. Still have an issue with my lung but I think I developed some kind of infection following the BB and also I got covid 2 weeks ago which might not have helped. So I'm still coughing here and there and grunting. Feels like there still something weird with my left lung but nothing worth taking an appointment with my doctor at this time.

After taking a step back I can say that the following where also side effects :

• Non stop tongue ulcers and sometimes bloody gum when brushing.
    • Depression tendencies
    • Tiredness

Keep on keeping on.

• Posted

12th day without biso. I get waves of bronchospasms and a kickback of anxiety and doubt. There is always a tiny doubt that something is still not right although my symptoms from my episodes are not back (i'm slightly Hypocondriac so it does not help). I cough a little less but I still have something of the left side of my chest some kind of irritation sometime irradiating up but it last a fraction of a second or so might be a nerve that's irritated between my ribs or under or my muscles waking up from BB. I have an appointment in 2 weeks with my doctor to see if there is anything more to those symptoms. This will give time to the symptoms to wane off a little or a least diminish.

• Posted

2 weeks later. I still get some anxiety and sometimes extrasystoles but that is to be expected. Yesterday night was bad. I had nausea and didn't sleep at all. Might be my fault because I decided to take a magnesium supplement in the after noon and developed a migraine in the evening that might have triggered the nausea. Most of the side effects of the biso are gone at this point. I went to see my doctor and found out I had 2 new issues. Nothing bad though. First one I have a flare up of seasonal allergies (I already knew I was allergic to pollen and grass). My lung issue is actually allergies and my lungs are clear. I have to use my nasal spray everyday to clear it up. Second one I might have developed from coughing or straining. I have costochondritis which in an inflammation of the cartilage between the ribs on the left side near the breastplate. It can go all the way back. Nothing to do about this but wait for it to go away. I can take some NSAID if there is too much pain which is a burning sensation that sometimes flares up out of nowhere. All things considered things are getting better slowly.

• Posted

Hi,

Any update on your withdrawal symptoms?

I am on biso 5 mg since the last 3 months. Suffering through brain fog, dizziness, off balance when walking, tinnitus & fatigue. All these symptoms are on & off. I was prescribed this med for high bp: 150/100.

I'll be visiting my GP soon to change the dosage or get off BB's altogether & find a diff solution to control my Bp.

• Posted

I don't want to scare you but this is the truth

I was in Bisoprolol just two months I was taking 10 mg ,Because my blood pressure is a little high, and it was the worst day of my life. I became like an old man. My body shivering, cold feet, dizziness, dizziness and ringing in the ears. I stopped taking it only after two months of using it. Loss of energy most of the time, foggy head and dizziness sometimes I feel better, but the adrenaline in our bodies is rushing with force. I give up and I have no solution but to take vitamins. I do not want to be negative, but I am afraid that it will not come out of my body. I am 39 years old, I admit that the tinnitus with time has improved, I just feel With a band in the ear, but ringing in the ears.Coolness in the body, especially in the legs Note: Do not ask the doctor, because it will worsen your condition. Do not use any medication. Pregnancy and time will end this despicable drug that caused me anxiety and incomprehensible fear

Note : I haven't taken medication since 2 years and still a lot of withdrawal

Is there hope for me to return to normal

• Posted

hey how are you doing now? hope you are well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.