My experience with Citalopram

Posted , 1 user is following.

I'm new here, I thought I'd add my fairly positive experience with Citalopram. I first got prescribed it at the end of last year after battling depression for a couple of years.

I started on 10mg then gradually got stepped up to the 40mg I take now. To start with, the side effects were quite strong. the first day I took it I got so dizzy I couldn't stand up, but that wore off after a day or two. I also suffered some sexual difficulties but those too wore off after a couple of weeks.

In terms of medical benefit, it has been a huge help. About 2 weeks after I stepped up to 20mg I started sleeping properly for the first time in about 18 months and that has continued. I also seem to have a lot more motivation and concentration.

It took a while to start feeling happier, but the feelings and thoughts of depression started to be a bit more blunted and distant. What it has really done is taken care of most of the physical symptoms I was experiencing and given me space to try the CBT exercises my therapist recommended which have made a huge difference to my life.

The only lingering side effect is occasional stomach troubles, but loperadimide (generic immodium) takes care of it. So in short, Citalopram has given me space to fix a lot of things in my life. The main reason for my depression was being unable to get a girlfriend, since Cit and CBT I've now been out on a few dates with someone for the first time ever. So if you've been prescribed it and are scared by tales of side effects, be brave, persevere and it might just help you out smile

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Just thought I'd "bump" my old thread, I'm coming off Citalopram so wanted to share some further experiences. After almost a year on Citalopram I no longer registered as being depressed on the scale the doctors assess you with. My whole outlook on life has changed, helped by the CBT sessions, and things have improved significantly.

I got a new job which is better paid and more enjoyable, I'm a year into my first ever serious relationship and my circle of friends keeps expanding. Thanks to no longer spending money to make myself feel better I should have saved enough money to buy a flat soon.

I give a huge amount of credit to Citalopram for giving me the space I needed to really get control of myself. For those of you worried about taking it, or suffering side effects early on, just give it some time and regular contact with your doctor and maybe it will work out for you too. Happy to answer any questions you may have, either reply here or send me a message. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi andreas,

It was good to read your experiences with Citalopram, I am now in my 9th week, 2 weeks on 10mg and the rest on 20mg, the week before last I felt good but all last week wasn't very good at all for some reason, but today I am feeling good again, do you think it could be just a blip, do these happen now and again or am I expecting too much too early?

Christine.

• Posted

Hi Christine

It will be up and down to start with, it certainly was for me! My doctor said it takes around 6 weeks to two months to get the full therapeutic benefit. Even in this stage you may not feel good 100% of the time, just on average much better than normal.

• Posted

Thank you andreas, I have had a good day today and if they are all like this I won't mind.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.