My experience with no sleep due to anxiety

Posted , 5 users are following.

I just wanted to share my sertraline experience with you because I searched hard to find someone who was having the same situation as i was online and could not really find anyone. I hope this will help someone. One year ago I had a stressful job, my whole family had the flu, and had a stressful relationship. During the night i was kind of congested and had trouble sleeping. I woke up one night and just muttered I cant sleep and started freaking out about it. The next day when trying to go to sleep everytime i would drift off I would panic and gasp for air...this happened over and over again all night and I got zero sleep i thought maybe it was my heart so i went to the hospital and everything was fine. Night after night the same thing even when trying to nap I would gasp for air unable to sleep at all...I had already been tested for sleep apnea and i do not have it. I saw 3 doctors who all said I had GAD and all thought I should start on zoloft. Although I was hesitant I decided to give it a try , the first few weeks were horrible my whole body tingled I was getting even less sleep so i was having night time panic attacks. I was taking sleeping pills at night and still only getting an hour of sleep (trazadone, ambien, temazepam). During the day I was freaking out all day looking at forums and reading peoples experiences. When The sun went down I would freak out and start pacing the house and I was scared to even go to bed. I started the first week at 25mg then the next week I was on 50mg. Then I was on 50mg about 2 weeks and I began sleeping better .. I was still taking trazadone 50mg and 1 melatonin 10 mg to sleep, finally I felt calm and not scared of sleep, i didnt wake up in a panic and if my 18 month old woke me up I could go back to sleep. I stayed on 50 for about 4 months then went down to 25 the 12.5mg now I have been off completly for a few months , this experience was horrible but I always come back on here to let people know you will get better and you can get off the meds and be better please message me if you need any help, you will get better and I am here for you I went from no sleep to now amazing sleep with no help I AM PILL FREE and HAPPY.. Hope this helps someone, this has been the scariest thing I have been through.

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

i am same thing i panic if i dont sleep because i had the same situation but its getting so into me as i keep thinking about it and freak myself out , it turned to intrusive thoughts that can scare me alot

i am now on 150 mg . i feel better but not yet as i was before all this . i got off it for 2 months but i am back now on it and re adjusting .

thanks for sharing your story .

• Posted

glad to hear your story shauna and your road to recovery but after two years on 150 ng setralene i feel they have done nothing to help me . i can just about function and seldom go out im seeing my gp in a couple of weeks vut at best i feel these tablets just sedate you and rob you of any feelings i certainly dont feel happier bor less stressed nor has it erroded my OcD

• Posted

Yes I became very emotionless and began hurting the people I loved because I just didnt care, thats why I got off of them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.