My experience with Paxil

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm here if anyone has questions regarding long term use of Paxil for Panic/anxiety.  I started panic attacks in 1967 at age 27.  It took years before a very smart Psy. suggested we try an SRI.  It was fantastic.  My horrible panic attacks, a daily occurrence, stopped instantly and since I started taking 30mg of Paxil in 1994 I  have not experienced a panic/anxiety attack.  I  have taken the drug continuously since 1994 with zero side effects.  If anyone has any questions I'll be happy to try and help. 

Hugh Campbell

1 like, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

It's really helpful to read about other people's experiences of using Paroxetine long term. I've been on it for maybe 10-15 years, 20mg a day. During this time I've stopped using it 3 times, not because of any side effects but just because I wanted to see if I still needed to use it. Each time I stopped I tapered off the dosage very gradually and had no noticeable bad effects - tapering off is very important as the side effects of sudden withdrawal are nasty. Unfortunately, the depression and anxiety attacks have always returned when I'm not using Paroxetine - I reckon I've been suffering from these symptoms since I was a teenager, 50 years ago. For me, Paroxetine has made all the difference in being able to lead a normal life. It doesn't make me happy (I hate it when people refer to anti-depressants as "happy pills"wink but helps me keep things in proportion and deal with the stresses of life without crumbling. I see it as something I need, rather like a diabetic needs insulin, to cope with the way my brain works. After having spent so many years of my life being depressed, it's great to be able to enjoy life and not lurch from one panic attack or bout of depression to another.

• Posted

Thank you Molly for your input on long term use of paxil. Do you remember how long it took to work each time you started it again?

thank you again

• Posted

Hi again molly I hope you can reply on how long it tok for the paxil to work for you a second  or third time you went back on it.

Thank you

• Posted

Hi amitie, I think it was about 10 days before it started working again. I wish there was something which started working immediately. Perhaps there is, although I'd probably stick with Paroxetine as it works so well for me. I was prescribed fluoxetine (Prozac) when it first became available in the UK but it made me feel much worse - I suppose some SSRIs work better for some people than others!

• Posted

I suggested trying Paxil to my Doctor as clearly the Lexapro is not working anymore and she said Paxil and Celexa are too simiar too Lexapro so if Lexapro isnt work, these wont.

Surely that cant be accurate as I have had doctors switch me between ssri and ssni before???

• Posted

Hi ellebi, I am not hugh, but if you can see a pshyciastrist they would know for certain which meds work well in the same family or not in the same family.
    • Posted

Yes it was actuallly a Pshyciastrist I am dealing with but she be willing to give me Lexapro and Prozac but not this.. its weird even though theres all ssris
    • Posted

I hope you find the right medication and feel better soon.
  • Posted

I was just prescribed paxil 10 mg and i am scared to take. does it cause weight gain? I have suffered from anxiety almost all my life. i took xanax with great sucess but now it is not advised to use .

• Posted

I'm just about to start and very concerned about the nightmare stories of withdrawal. I don't see me taking them for ever as wish to do parallel therapy. Wondered why GP hasn't gone down fluoxetine route which I believe is easier to get off. Thoughts and experiences?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.