My extremely large cyst removal experience

Posted , 4 users are following.

Thought for anyone out there who is preparing to go through a cyst removal ovarian I would share my experience. I have just come out of hospital from having a 32 cm cyst removed from my right ovary along with a falliopin tube. My stomach made me look pregnant and at surgery they have to drain 24 pints of fluid. Yes I am really the effects of it now but each day is getting better. I have catheter for two weeks but that only cause they had to cut my bladder due to its size so it may not happen to you though. Anyone nervous about having a cyst removed I had open surgery just go for find a surgeon you trust. The recovery will be a bit slow but you will get some results straightaway. But for some one who went through it who was terrified I say be strong. Feel free to ask any questions. Xxxx

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

wow eleanor

24 pints of fluid while under a gp's care? your back is ok? how on earth were you functioning (superwoman)? some of the experiences on here make me furious, yours is one of them. thank the gods its sorted now, in a few weeks life will seem so much easier. 24 pints. find a better gp and best wishes x

• Posted

I know I can't get over how much I was carrying and had left any longer would have been really really bad if burst even life threatening. My pain problem is the dizzy spells and spinning head along with the pounding heart rate .... Had a incident in the hospital involving four staff when I nearly collapsed

• Posted

How are you feeling today? I messaged you smile
    • Posted

Just done my first walk alone out of where I live and back so happy with the achievement but my hormones are all over the place today as losing the ovary buy hopefully tomorrow I am going to talk to my consultant about any extra help xxx
  • Posted

Oh dang yours was as large as mine, I went to the ER last week because I had two periods this month and felt so bloated I thought I was going to explode. People had been asking me if I was pregnant but I thought I was just getting fat (pregnancy test was negative).  Anyway, with the bleeding I got scared thinking maybe I was pregnant and having a miscarriage or something crazy.  Turns out after a day of tests, the ER doctor said it is a 14inch ovarian mass on my right ovary. Which also means the stupid obgyn last december missed it. Now, I have to follow up this tuesday with a cancer surgeon. So I guess I'll find out more then. Right now I'm just really freaked out.  

• Posted

Hi I am really sorry to hear about what's happening to you . I went through the same before mine got removed as I looked pregnant I got extremely self conscious going out cause people would stare. Mine results came back this week and thankfully it was benguin. My advice don't delay getting things moving I am not saying this it would be seroius but it's not worth waiting around longer than needed. I don't know whether anyone had mentioned surgery to you yet but whatever needs doing get a consultant that you feel comfortable with. My thoughts are with you during this time and please feel free to message me anytime xxxx

• Posted

Me too, I hate going places because people will stare at my stomach or/and ask me if I need help carry my groceries to the care, etc. which is nice but still not fun. I'm glad your's was benign. I didn't if elaborate but they did tell me they will have to remove it but last I talked to them they said they didn't know if they were going to do open or laparoscopic surgery yet.  I guess this tuesday will be the pre op appointment? I don't know what kind of cyst it is yet or if they are removing one ovary or both or the tube.  I also don't know the dimensions other than the 14 inch number they gave me at the ER.  Now I'm afraid to do too much strenuous stuff because I keep envisioning it rupturing.  So I'm just sitting around waiting.  I was told that if the pain gets to bad I can go back to the ER and I guess they'll do emergency surgery on me.  24 pints is a lot of fluid.  I can imagine this one is that bad. Did they tell you how long they thought you had they cyst or how fast it grew? Thanks for responding. I don't want the surgery but since there isn't another option of getting rid of it hopefully it will happen in the next few weeks.

• Posted

Not been told how long it has been in there or how fast it grew ... Guess they don't know. I know the feeling with the surgery I suffer from extreme anxiety anyway so going in for surgery was a major truma for me but luckily the staff were amazing... Going back in on Tuesday maybe for a night to have tests and a catheter removed . But it may not happen to you to have a catheter as due the amount of fluid in mine they had to make a hole in my bladder. Stay strong and hopefully it wont be long until you get an operation. Where are you from?

• Posted

You did get me thinking I need to do some research on the surgeon. I was referred to him so I'm hoping he's good. It's in the same hospital as the ER I went to and the day shift there was good. Wasn't to impressed with some of the night shift staff.  I bet you'll be glad to get rid of the catheter.  I imagine whatever damage this cyst is doing in there probably isn't good. Maybe I will have a better idea on tuesday what kind of nonsense I'll have to deal with. I'm from Kentucky - USA.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.