My family don't understand_ how can I convince them.

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've had M.E for years. I've always slept. I've never had much energy. But the doctors just weren't interested. I used to have a normal life,I just slept every available moment I had and then suddenly(after 30years)last September everything changed. I became Bedbound most of the time, I had to give up work,I started having pains and numbness in my arms and legs. I find it dibilitating to do anything and my husband doesn't understand. How can I convince him, any advice please?

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I'm sorry you have this, but your not alone, we're here and understand. You sound just like me. I always slept a lot. As a teenager I'd come home from school and lay down and sleep til dinner was ready. When I was 35 it started to hit me but I didn't crash for 3 more years. I tried to continue working but couldn't and I was bedridden for 3 yrs. I did everything to tell my family and husband what this was but they laughed at me. I got books, CFIDS magazines, tapes, before CD, from the association for them to listen to so experts could explain it. Nothing I did helped. They didn't read or listen to anything. I found out the more I try to explain, the less they believed me. I even asked my husband to come with me to the Dr office so he could understand, he wouldn't go. For a few years I was always telling them and they'd laugh at me. I realized the stress from trying to convince them was affecting me and keeping me in a flare up. So, I told them, I'm physically sick, its not in my head, but even if it was, I need the help and support from my family either way. Then I said, your with me or not, I can't be around you. I cut off my family and tried to at least get his help. I wound up divorcing him, it wasn't a good marriage before I got sick. I found out I can offer them ways to understand, if they choose not to, its not my problem. I have to come first and take care of myself. I also got a counselor familiar with this and saw her once a week for yrs. I was able to accept my illness and family.

• Posted

Dear boni333 Thank you for your reply I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who has trouble with the family.ive come to the point now that I can't be bothered convincing them anymore, I just need to concentrate on myself now. I'm glad someone else understands. Thankyou

• Posted

I'm so sorry you are bed bound now. I've had this for 28 years and the last 2 ive been house bound with having to lay down alot, in between everything i do. I take midodrine for POTS, 6 months, valacyclovir for EBV, 4 months and lots of supplements, multivitamins, probiotic, calcium/mag/d , cocunut oil in my green tea, hemp seeds. Im hoping to prevent getting worse. Have you tried any of these? Or do think yours was caused by a virus?

• Posted

Oh and meant to say, have him watch Unrest the movie. Its on Netflix now. I decided to end a friendship with a friend who is holistic and kept telling me i could heal myself with certain supplements when ive tried everything and still trying. Ugh. She was just a downer in my life.
    • Posted

You did the right thing Tracey. Our lives are had enough without toxic people poisoning it further x
  • Posted

Hi carol

So sorry to hear all this. It isn't that unusual alas for loved ones to have difficulties understanding. I read it time and time again. I am luckier and have a supportive partner. He could help a bit more than he does , but in general he tries his best to understand. He has diabetes type one so does have understanding how it feels to feel shattered and unwell at times . Of course is not the same as ME, but at least he doesn't dismiss my issues and disabilities .

It is certainly not helpful when people you live with can't see you have debilitating issues you have little or no control over. It is difficult for a person to understand how another person feels when they don't have the same health issues. But they can be informed and advised to some degree. Plus surely he can see how you have suddenly deteriorated. I hope sooner rather than later, your husband can be encouraged to support you better.

Take care

• Posted

Dear Janet71271. Thanks for understanding I know I read that too, that slot of marriages break up. I think he just finds it hard because it has changed so quickly. I'm trying hard to give him the time to come round.

• Posted

I was a paediatric nurse before ME stole it. Quite a lot of couple split up who had children with chronic diseases and conditions x
  • Posted

Hi Carol

I have had the same problems as boni and tracey

Family do not want to accept my illness even though they know what has caused it!

Marriage ended.  Very rarely see any family.

I have been housebound 100% 18months and 95% bed bound.

Unless he is prepared to read up and educate himself about your condition then

it's going to be really difficult for you.

I am very fortunate that I 2 very good friends who accept me as I am.

Had many who have dropped me over the years so were not really friends.

I have learnt one thing though and it took many years... that is put yourself first...alwayssmile x

• Posted

Dear Maureen65552.I'm so sorry to hear that,it's so sad that people we love and who love us unconditionally,cannot look after us regardless if they understand our condition. It's very frightening this illness and it's outcome. Thank you for your reply.

• Posted

So sorry to hear this Maureen. Is great you have your good caring friends though. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.