My fast recovery story

Posted , 4 users are following.

30/07/22 i went roller skating with my friends a day after my bday.i had never skated in my life.I was not even skating wen i broke my ankle.I was just standing on the floor and as i was turning myself i heard a click and the pain was soo unbearable i knew i have broken something.911 was called and i was taken by ambulance to the hospital.I was hoping it was a sprint but no i had broken my ankle in 2 places.x rays were taken,my leg put in a cast n was advised i will need surgery.SURGERY? I thought i was dreaming.I m a single mother, nursing student and i had just bought my first home dat same year.surgery means i cant work for what?3months plus?i was devastated.

31/07/22 i was taken in a wheelchair to the fracture clinic.The surgeon explained and booked my surgery

01/08/22 I has surgery on my ankle.metals and screws were put into my ankle.i went through surgery alone(my friends abandoned me in the hospital)

02/08/22 i was discharged with my leg in a big cast.I was non weigtbearing and using crutches..i purchased a walker as well cos it was much easier.

my friend/neighbor took me to her house to live there for sometime

10/08/22 I rented a wheelchair and went back to my house.I was able to move myself around the house in my wheelchair.i was bumping my bottom to go up and down the stairs

15/08/22 My first post op appointment.My cast was removed ,sutures removed and i was made to choose between a fiber cast($75)and cam boot($200) i chose cam boot since it was summer and i can remove it wenever i m hot

l read various stories about recovery from ankle surgery including this page and i must say most of these stories are real especially the emotional part.It was like today i m happy and hopefully,tomorrow i m sad,depressed and hopeless!i was wondering if i will be able to walk again.So here i am in wheelchair living in a house with a 2year old .bathing ,feeding n doing everything all by myself!

12/09/22 My big day!I was soo looking frwd for dis day.x ray were taken n surgeon advised the bones are healed so i can start full weight bearing and physio.I wantd to hug the doctor.I didnt have work insurance so i started shopping around for physio covered under federal(OHIP) (Canada)

13/09/22 Had my first shower in like 6weeks.it felt wonderful

14/09/22 had physio appointment.I was assessed and given some home exercise to do.I didnt really do these (ROM) My ultimate goal was to walk without any device

16/09/22 i got rid of 1 crutch

20/09/22 My day of miracle.God is still in the business of performing wonders!I woke up to the bathroom and i heard a voice telling me just walk.u can walk.I gathered myself i started walking to the bathroom.wow. Going downstairs for breakfast i was like just use the rails and get urself down.My son was following and even thought i had forgetting something.He went back to the bedroom to grab my crutches.What an emotional day! I called the wheelcahir company and return the chair and i told myself i m done with all the devices and here i am today walking and going back to work

Benefits and lessons from my injury

1.I learnt to trust God

2.I have learnt not to trust friends because you only have friends when life is good

3.I was able to spend time and bond with my son because he was always with the babysitter before my injury

4.I was so bitter that i channeled my energy towards studying and i passed my NCLEX

I hope my story shares hope to anyone going through this.You are not alone.you will surely get through this

Surgery August 1

walking September 20th

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Wow! What an incredible story! I have also had ankle surgery, but my story was quite the opposite. Doctors kept telling me it was just a sprain because it was not fractured, then 4 months, lots of physio and pain later, I find out I have 3 tears in my ankle in both ligaments and tendons. After having surgery I still struggled to walk for about another 6 months. To this day I still have pain some days. But the most important part is that I also grew closer to God and learned that friends don't stay through the hard moments in life. My relationship with God grew so much during this time period because he was the only one I could trust and rely on. Your story is truly incredible and I'm glad you had such a quick recovery. Thank you for sharing!

• Posted

this was so helpful to read. im 3 weeks post break and 5 days post op. i kept thinking how a single mom woud do this...i tip my hat! i hope you are continuing to do do well!

• Posted

you're amazing! how did you do all those stuffs by yourself? indeed, God's so gracious!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.