My Father's Persistent Penis Pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello Members,

Thank you for your time!

This question is for my father. He is 81 years old and lives alone in India. He was diagnosed with Recurrent Urethral Stricture in 2001 by his Urologist. He was on Tamsulosin and Darifenacin for a lot of years and was fine until Sept 2016. In Oct 2016, he felt pain (4 on a scale of 1 to 10) in his penis. At times, the pain was more on the tip of his penis than shaft. Other times, the pain was felt throughout the penis (shaft + tip). The Urine culture indicated the EColi bacteria and he was given antibiotics. When the pain did not go away, his Urologist did a flexible cystoscopy in Nov 2016 and dilated his stricture. He had no pain until Dec 2017.

In Dec 2017, his pain was a 4 on a scale of 1 to 10. His Urologist did a Urine culture and the results indicated EColi infection greater than 10000 CFU/ml. Antibiotics were given and a repeat urine culture in January was normal. 

His pain oscillated between a 1/10 and 2/10 in February and March. He was prescribed a few creams which made the pain manageable. When the pain persisted at 2/10 for a couple of days in the third week of March, the Urologist ordered urine and blood tests (11.22 PSA, positive for bacteria, urine had elevated WBC and leukocytes). A cystoscopy was performed on March 19, which did not find anything abnormal. 

The elevated PSA took us down the path of ultrasound, MRI and biospy. The biopsy was negative for prostate cancer. For about a week after his cystoscopy (March 19- March 26), he felt no pain. This might be due to all the NSAID's he was give during his 5 days hospital stay (March 19-March 22). 

His pain returned on April 2 and is currently between 1/10 and 1.5/10. Since the last few days, the pain is felt more in the tip of his penis than shaft. He saw the Urologist on April 9 and when I emailed his Urologist, he said that the pain will slowly recede. My father has no growth, no discharge, no changes in skin color or redness/rash or anything of that kind on his penis. His urine stream is fine. He has no pelvic pain. 

Questions:

1) Does UTI in December explain the penis pain in Dec-Jan?

2) Does the detected UTI on March 17 explain the penis pain in Jan-March?

3) Since several antibiotics have been given March 17 for his UTI, can the Cystoscopy itself be the cause of his current penis pain due to inflammation of his urethra ?

4) Any other reasons for his persistent pain? I would be grateful for any comments from you.

Thank you!!

Zent

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi jetski, 

im only 42 with ureheral stricture from road traffic accident. For the past year and a half I’ve had high  ecoli In My urine and non stop infections.i would love to hear why this is happening also?.

• Posted

Hello marko19,

Sorry to hear about your recurrent UTIs. If you don't mind, I have some questions:

1) What reasons does your Urologist give for the constant UTI's?

2) Do you have non-stop penis pain like my father?

Thank you

• Posted

Hi jetski76,

my urologist says the UTI’S are from not emptying properly due to stricture and the only time I get penis pain is when catheter in or for a few days after taking it out. It very sore when catheter is in as erections are painful and hurt the muscle.

• Posted

Hello Marko,

Thank you for the reply. Does the Urologist recommend you get a urethral reconstruction?

• Posted

I have urethraal stricture from a very early age and it’s always painful. 

However according to my  understanding is that infection causes a lot of pain and burn most of the times. 

Irritation due to cystoscopy is normal. What I do t understand is why they’re doing so many cystoscopes in a very short period. 

His urethra needs to relax from all the irritation he is getting from cystoscopy and he needs fully treated for infection. 

Once these two things are taken care of then they figure out if the pain and burning persists or not. If not it was due to constant infection and cystoscopy and I’m not sure if they kept him on catheter or not because that also factors in the pain and burning. 

Hope this helps. 

Bottom line they need to stop cystoscopy and they need to treat his infection first. I’m sure after that there will be no more pain. 

• Posted

Thanks a lot for your reply!

Your reply makes sense. He has been treated with several antibiotics for the infection since March 19. Since April 9, he is taking one tablet of Nitrofurantoin  for three months. He has been asked to see his Urologist after that. He has not used a catheter for over 5 years. The second cystoscopy was done after 1.5 years after the first. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.