My father was throwing up blood, should he go to the hospital?

Posted , 5 users are following.

My father hadn’t eaten all day and after dinner he suddenly started feeling nauseous and sick, although he didn't look too well before either.  After a couple hours he threw up and with it blood. He didnt say how much blood he threw up. He’s 49 and doesn’t drink alcohol. It couldn’t have been food poisoning since everyone else is fine. Right now he seems to be feeling normal but I’m worried and think he should go to the hospital. Should he still go even if he is still fine later?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes he should go get checked, blood vomiting isn't normal, he might have an ulcer in stomach or h pylori infection. Its better to get checked if he feels gassy and bloated accompanied by pain in upper abdomen

• Posted

Blood showing up with the vomit, yes, I would get it checked out. Can't be food poisoning if blood showed up in the vomit. Could be an ulcer but I am not a doctor which is why you should take him to the doctor asap.

• Posted

Absolutely he should still go he could have a bleeding ulcer what is the color of his stools are they dark black coffee ground color he still needs to go whether he drinks or not he has some kind of in just testing a thing going on my son had bleeding in his urine quite often and he refused to go to the doctor whenever you see blood you need to get it checked out my son finally went and he had bladder cancer so anytime you see blood you need to go to the doctor at least get it checked out if you can't get to the doctor go to a clinic or the ER because it's not going to get better it will pop up again that is a symptom and when you see symptoms you need to not ignore them

• Posted

That is why we get symptoms they are usually the beginning of something the symptoms start and you need to go and get them checked out before they get bad
  • Posted

He should go to hospital; vomiting blood is not normal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.