My fathers AF experience

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all.

My father had a mini stroke back in October when it turned out the cause for this was AF.

He came out of hospital and was put on warfarin and was fine until about this January.

In short my dad has been feeling worse since January with the main symptom being his breathing.

Before he was walking the dogs every day with no problems.

Now he has stopped walking the dogs as he can't even get up from his seat and walk across the room without feeling out of breath and panting, he's even breathless just resting. He also wakes in the night short of breath so is not really sleeping, he says at times it feels like he can't fill his lungs with air like he used to.

When talking to the cardiologist he says its unusual for AF to cause this and he doesn't really see this sort of breathing issues, so what could it be? Anyone else experienced this with AF?

If the breathing wasn't so bad i think he could live with the AF as is but we are due to see someone about an ablation as previous cardioversions werent sucessful and medication cannot be give as treatment.

Sorry for the long winded post but just wanted others views.

All the best,.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

What medications is he on? If it is 'unusual' why are they not doing tests to find the cause?
    • Posted

He is only on warfarin at the moment.

Hes has had blood tests done to check various things and all have come back fine including one for blood in the lungs, he also had an xray which also showed nothing wrong.

He is due to have a sleep test and lung test done friday.

• Posted

Just had the same for months got so bad wife just took me to a&e.ended up going into hospital 4 times in 2 weeks new meds for my af also water treatment had ecco xrays tests blah blah .went into hospital on saturday last week came out on monday havein lost over a stone all fluid on legs guts lungs causeing bad breathing.dont mess ring ambulance up everytime more visits more results.i honestly wanted just to die last week but now im breathinv better not so much its scary i know but dont go to gp with it ambulance everytime plus they can help him with his breathing management hope he gets sorted i know its awfull and scary good luck
    • Posted

Hi ankles had recently started to swell but we put this down to the fact that he had stopped walking the dogs.

Im assuming that if it was fluid build up then this would show up on tests xrays conducted on friday?

• Posted

My ankles swelled also my tummy trust me if he gets it on his lungs its horrible. better to be safe than sorry its taken me 3 weeks of hell to get reight
  • Posted

I agree that you should go to A&E. If you say AF they will see you straight away. I had a similar experience and my GP,said I had arthritis even thoughnI had no symptoms. When I went into resuss the cardiologist spotted heart failure immeditely and I had cardioversion immediately and water tablets. I lost a stone in weight and was back to work in a couple of days,The is another thread on here where there are lots of similar experiences. It is called atrial fibrillation. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.