My feet and ankles are swollen

Posted , 5 users are following.

Two days ago, I was bitten by a mosquito twice on each leg by my knee. My feet and ankles started to swell about an hour later. The next morning, they were swollen much more. If I elevated my feet, the swelling goes down. As soon as I stand, the swelling comes back. I thought this had to do with a bug bite because of the timing of it. But, since I have MVP (Mitral Valve Prolapse) and heart palpitations, I'm concerned of heart failure. I have an appt. with my doctor in two weeks, but am wondering if I should go to emergency. I'm not too sure that emergency can actually diagnose this. 

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I wish I could be of more help, but if it were me I would go to the ER. If it

is your heart the ER doctors should be able to get you into a Heart Doctor very quick. IMO 2 weeks is too long to wait for this type of condiction.

Please keep us up-dated.

• Posted

Hi I think you might have posted this on the wrong site as this is one is for lung disease.   Try posting it on the heart site. 

What you need to do is remember RICE.  Rest,  ice,  compression,  and elevation.  Get a bag of frozen peas or something,  wrap them in a tea towel or pillow case,  and hold it against your ankles for up to 20 minutes at a time,   Keep your feet elevated whilst you are doing this. 

After 20 minutes stop doing it,  wait 10 minutes then repeat.   You can also buy compression bandages from the chemist which will also help.

Another source of help is your local pharmacist so why not pop in and have a word?   If in doubt though I would ring up your doctors and ask for a telephone call back.  I know they do this in the UK but not sure which country you are in.  

If at any time your ankles go red or feel sore go straight to A and E (or your doctors) as it could be a blood clot which is a medical emergency.  .

• Posted

Swollen ankles and feet could be due to lack of Oxygen in your blood. Have it checked out ASAP. Don't wait to see your doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.