My feet turn purple in the shower, they’re always cold, pins and needles

Posted , 2 users are following.

Like the title says, my toes and the soles of my feet have recently begun to turn dark/purple whenever I shower (and they're exposed to hot water). My feet are also unusually cold most of the time, even when I wear double socks and try to keep them warm. Just now I, on top of that, felt a pins and needles sensation.

I'm aware that cold feet can have many causes but I'm mostly confused about the color change, since all the info I've managed to find is about feet turning purple when cold, and my case is the opposite.

I've been under a lot of stress for a long time, I wonder if that could be related.

Does anyone else experience this and/or know about potential causes?

Thanks, and have a good day everyone!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Oh and I forgot to add, even when the entire sole and toes don't turn purple I get at least purple blotches.

• Posted

The tips of my toes turn color and are very painful when exposed to hot water during the winter months where I live unless I am extremely diligent about wearing multiple layers of socks. I have bought shoes/boots a couple of sizes up so that I can layer 2-3 pairs of socks to keep my feet from being exposed to the cold. My doctor said I have a condition called chilblains and offered blood thinner medication to improve circulation in the feet. I haven't gone that route as I would rather not be on a medication that I otherwise don't need. I get areas that kind of look like blisters at times that can be painful with the least amount of pressure. I hope keeping your feet warm helps!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.